News: Zeke faced base defenses 51% of the time

MarcusRock

Reaction score
I'm no X's and O's guy but with our "scare no one" receivers on paper, do we expect Zeke to see more base defenses? Looking at the RBs who faced the highest percentages on that list, none of their teams scare anyone through the air.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

Hmmmmmm. This is interesting.
Submitted for your entertainment and discussion. Please follow all US and zone rules

Very very interesting. To me this shows that runners that had less of a passing attack and were less of a threat to catch the ball had more base defense.

You look at guy like Gurly and he catches a lot of balls. Another reason why the big need for Zeke to be involved more in the passing game.

gmoney112

Reaction score
You probably could have just assumed this.

It doesnt really tell you much of anything we didnt already know. Run downs defenses typically played heavier.

And anyone who tries to tell you that Nickel is a "subpackage" and not the base defense across most of the league is someone not to be trusted.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I'm no X's and O's guy but with our "scare no one" receivers on paper, do we expect Zeke to see more base defenses? Looking at the RBs who faced the highest percentages on that list, none of their teams scare anyone through the air.

I really think they are hoping for 8 in the box because if teams sit on our pass game they’ll stop it.

bsbellomy

Reaction score
It was just a joke guys. My bad. I thought the emoji at the end made it clear. I was in no way trying to be serious in any way, shape or form. LOL

Emoji notwithstanding, I'd have guessed you wanted to take and use this as ammunition against those who might have negative things to say about Dak.

Outlaw Heroes

Reaction score
It appears to me to have SOME interpretive value as to the value of the QB.

I don’t think so. My guess is it’s useless info and this stat is almost entirely dictated by the offence: specifically, the extent to which it uses, and runs out of, spread formations. The Cowboys rarely use 4 and 5 receiver sets (so they see fewer dime and quarter packages) and when they do I’m guessing they almost always pass (such that Zeke isn’t running into the sub package). I bet you the Rams and Steelers rely upon, and run out of, spread formations much more commonly.

The other thing that factors in is being able to stay ahead of the chains. If you’re constantly in second or third and long, you’ll face more dime. But in a run-first offence like ours, staying ahead of the chains is largely the running game’s responsibility (not so much Dak’s).

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
To me the telling thing I see is who the QBs are of the teams that faced the most base defenses.

Some of this could be due to the personnel on the field as well. The Steelers have more 3 WR sets on early downs then Dallas as well.

Outlaw Heroes

Reaction score
All this means is we run out 1-2 wr sets about half the time. I wouldn't read too much into it.

Except, perhaps, that we do a reasonable job of staying ahead of the chains so that we’re not often forced into obvious passing downs.