News: Zeke faced base defenses 51% of the time

AmericasTeam81

Reaction score
It means if the cowboys decide run formations with 3 and 4 receivers more often, it might give Zeke more room and make him more dangerous. With Witten retired, this opportunity is staring us in the face.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
I don’t think so. My guess is it’s useless info and this stat is almost entirely dictated by the offence: specifically, the extent to which it uses, and runs out of, spread formations. The Cowboys rarely use 4 and 5 receiver sets (so they see fewer dime and quarter packages) and when they do I’m guessing they almost always pass (such that Zeke isn’t running into the sub package). I bet you the Rams and Steelers rely upon, and run out of, spread formations much more commonly.

Yep, defensive packages mostly dictated by offensive packages. The teams that faced more sub packages use more wide receivers and fewer fullbacks and tight ends, and vice versa.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
It means if the cowboys decide run formations with 3 and 4 receivers more often, it might give Zeke more room and make him more dangerous. With Witten retired, this opportunity is staring us in the face.

It also means you have less people blocking.

If running more effectively was as simple as just adding more WRs, every team in the league would abandon 2 TE sets for more WRs.

Outlaw Heroes

Reaction score

It means the opposite. 3 and 4 receiver formations would attract more dime. The stat says Zeke runs into less dime formation (and other sub packages) than most RBs.

AmericasTeam81

Reaction score
It also means you have less people blocking.

If running more effectively was as simple as just adding more WRs, every team in the league would abandon 2 TE sets for more WRs.

I agree with you but not every team has Zeke Elliot.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
It appears to me to have SOME interpretive value as to the value of the QB.

If the definition of base is run heavy and sub is nickel and dime, then yes, it does have some value.

I expect other subs like goal line are in there but that's too small a number to matter.

These data probably don't tell us much about small differences but big ones like Gurley vs. Elliott are telling. Also, note how frustrating a season Gurley had in 2016 when he likely saw way more base

SoupcanSam

Reaction score
I thought Zeke faced 10 man fronts on 95% of his runs because Dak can't hit the broad side of the barn after 5 yards? :muttley:
That was the haters reason. The real reason was because that is what you had to do to stop the cowboys.

Simple!

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
That was the haters reason. The real reason was because that is what you had to do to stop the cowboys.

Simple!
Bingo. Think maybe teams stack the box against Zeke because our offensive line and Zeke are badasses which require that to occur?

Hadenough

Reaction score

Hmmmmmm. This is interesting.
Submitted for your entertainment and discussion. Please follow all US and zone rules

No reason to disguise the defense! Players and commentators have all stated over the years how easy it is to prepare for the Cowboys. Dallas runs a very simple offense week in and week out! Garrett doesnt change and scheme his offense for any teams! Thats why Dallas beats the teams it has more talent than and loses to teams with equal talent!

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
I don’t think so. My guess is it’s useless info and this stat is almost entirely dictated by the offence: specifically, the extent to which it uses, and runs out of, spread formations. The Cowboys rarely use 4 and 5 receiver sets (so they see fewer dime and quarter packages) and when they do I’m guessing they almost always pass (such that Zeke isn’t running into the sub package). I bet you the Rams and Steelers rely upon, and run out of, spread formations much more commonly.

The other thing that factors in is being able to stay ahead of the chains. If you’re constantly in second or third and long, you’ll face more dime. But in a run-first offence like ours, staying ahead of the chains is largely the running game’s responsibility (not so much Dak’s).
+1

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
The reason why Zeke faced based defense more than any RB? Its because Garrett takes him out when the defense puts in their sub packages.

Garrett doesn't know how to take full advantages of matchups.

SoupcanSam

Reaction score
Bingo. Think maybe teams stack the box against Zeke because our offensive line and Zeke are badasses which require that to occur?

I think this is a fresh start for Dak. I believe they will have much more respect on offense this year than when they had dez and witten lining up.

Teams getting to the point where they were leaving dez 1on1 was really disrespectful. That's when I knew we needed change although it may hurt some of the fan base.

I said to myself we can't win like this

glimmerman

Reaction score
Would that mean that it made it easier or harder for Elliot to run. Ok so it made it harder to run. And Elliot misses 6 games and still had almost 1000 yards. Lol. The man is a beast. And so is our O-Line.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score

The other thing that factors in is being able to stay ahead of the chains. If you’re constantly in second or third and long, you’ll face more dime. But in a run-first offence like ours, staying ahead of the chains is largely the running game’s responsibility (not so much Dak’s).

Your logic is impeccable, you need to post more!