Twitter: Zeke has the most 15yd + runs in the league and LVE leads the nfl in run stops in weeks 4-7

ghst187

Reaction score
Anybody that said that either didn't watch game footage for Vander Esch or they have no clue how to evaluate players.

I had him graded ahead of Tremaine Edmunds. They had similar size and athletic ability but Vander Esch appeared to have a much better understanding of the game despite less years of football experience.

He has more tackles in less snaps than the LBs drafted before him.

He appears to be ahead of Jaylon in regards to understanding the scheme and definitely way ahead of where Jaylon was last season.

He is a bigger, faster, healthier version of Sean Lee.

I’ll admit I really wanted Edmunds, honestly both of them because we needed a S too.
Tremaine was a physical monster at LB in college making a lot of highlight reels. LVE had great size and speed but looked like a grabber tackler whereas Edmunds delivered some big hits.
What I didn’t get a sense of about either was the mental side of the position which I’m not sure anyone knew LVE would pick up the mental side of the NFL game so quickly. He’s still not a human highlight reel big time hitter but that’s fine because his tackling fundamentals are incredible and more to the point, he puts everyone on the ground. Another hit for the scouting and rafting dept. although I’m almost surprised JG didn’t try to play him at SS or DT.

Hardline

Reaction score
When Derwin James started sliding I was hoping he would fall to our pick.
But was happy to get LVE as a consolation prize.

His eight man football experience really helps him play in open space and he brings the pain to ball carriers.

mahoneybill

Reaction score
Elliott's Success Rate (NFL Rank)
2016 2nd
2017 2nd
2018 16th

Success Rate: A measure of running back consistency based on the percentage of carries where the player gains 40% of needed yards on first down, 60% of needed yards on second down, or 100% of needed yards on third or fourth down.

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/rb2018

Thanks for that link. Interesting progression and commentary on the nature of our O line philosophy as I'm sure other teams have studied Alexanders tendencies and seem very comfortable loading the box to stop the run.... Pains me to watch other teams have
runners gashing defenses/ receivers open and we seem to get stuffed on both more times than not. Also our receivers seem to be facing the QB many times with a DB immediately behind them to get a hand in to break up the pass.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
add to that if he has the most 15+ yard runs, then the rest of his carries must REALLY be poor....example, (I am not looking up all of his 15+ runs, but that piece says he had 13 and his longest is 41...so, 12 carries X15 yards = 180 + the 41 - 221; so in his other 119 carries, he has 398 yards for a stellar 3.3 yds/carry....the guy can by dynamic, but when the first offensive play of EVERY game is "Zeke. go run off of the left guard and plow into the line", he has to up his average on his other 17 carries

That's fairly typical of running backs. Few build their averages without a bunch of longer runs. It's like a boxer. They throw jab after jab to set up their big punches.