Zeke is an average RB

Reaction score
Not sure what the big mystery is here. Garrett got fired because he sucked. He was the #1 reason this team went 8-8 and he got what he deserved. This roster was as stacked as its ever been. Although clearly not SB caliber as the defense was seriously lacking.
You just contradicted yourself. The roster was as stacked as its ever been, but defense seriously lacking? The defense IS half the roster.

kskboys

Reaction score
I think fat is an excuse. I just dont think he has the best vision or quickness. Given equal carries, Pollard would be much more effective. However, he might have trouble carrying a full load. Which he doesnt need to. More of a 50/50 split would work better for me.
Zeke was known for his vision and quickness. Something happened, what do you think it was? His vision and quickness used to be stellar.

kskboys

Reaction score
Whose general Rule ? Mel Kiper's ?

-With this no RB in 1st round; this is another one of those cases and clichés that many tend to tag along with just because about everybody else is saying it, ..

Thus far some will say it like this ...while another will say it like that.
" its more easier to get/find a back in the 2nd round or 3rd round. Look at Kamara, Aaron Jones, etc, etc."

- Also some were saying the usual clichés of "oh, this is more of a era of passing than it is running the ball, .. .the RB has become more " de-valued" in today's game

But how many of us " knew" a Kamara or Jones end up being that good ?
And what were their draft day grades and value in comparison to a zeke or barkley top 5 overall ?

- My draft belief in getting the zeke or barkley, they will have unique skill sets that will place them on another level than the above, other backs in the NFL.

and I will say the same with the RB position as I have with any other positions and that includes the QB role too, I do not believe in reaching and selecting a position
just for the very sake of choosing one because we have that dire need for one. You make sure he is warranted of that draft grade and draft round.
I. e. " Oh, we need a starting QB in the worst way, ...so let's make Christian Ponder or Justin Giebert a 1st round QB."
Very well said.

If you need a RB and the one available in the 1st is a high quality RB, you take him. Belichick does, and I don't think we can argue w/ his success.

quickccc

Reaction score
Zeke was known for his vision and quickness. Something happened, what do you think it was? His vision and quickness used to be stellar.

you're right, somethin DID happen to Zeke's burst and home run ability. When he came into the league, that was the leading reason why opposing teams were petrified of playing
against him.

It's just my theory and my own guess work at it, but yet i'm convinced something (or someone) changed how he played the game.
After 2017, he didn't take a run or a screen pass 60+ plus sprint to the house for a big play or TD home run as he did and displayed in his first 2 years in the NFL.
I thought he finished 2019 season strong and ran angrier and harder the more the season went on but still that innate burst that defenses feared so much .. hasn't happen last 2 years ,imo.

Seems like between the coaches ( Brown, Garrett ?) and the trainers, zeke may have asked to re-changed and re-equipped his body to be more of a Emmitt like pounder, ball control runner
vs being a home run hitter. Some thought it may have contributed to excessive overwork and overuse wear and tear in his first few years in the NFL.
I don't buy that as a young man who has never had issues or concerns with injuries has just accumulated so much wear and tear toll and pounding that he's slowed that fast in his first 4 years in the NFL.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
It’s an overstatement to say Zeke’s an average back.

He’s a very good RB.

That said, he’s not a dynamic playmaking back that can flip the field as he was at Ohio State and what he showed as a rookie.

In his last 847 carries dating back to 2017, Zeke hasn’t had a run longer than 41 yards.

kskboys

Reaction score
you're right, somethin DID happen to Zeke's burst and home run ability. When he came into the league, that was the leading reason why opposing teams were petrified of playing
against him.

It's just my theory and my own guess work at it, but yet i'm convinced something (or someone) changed how he played the game.
After 2017, he didn't take a run or a screen pass 60+ plus sprint to the house for a big play or TD home run as he did and displayed in his first 2 years in the NFL.
I thought he finished 2019 season strong and ran angrier and harder the more the season went on but still that innate burst that defenses feared so much .. hasn't happen last 2 years ,imo.

Seems like between the coaches ( Brown, Garrett ?) and the trainers, zeke may have asked to re-changed and re-equipped his body to be more of a Emmitt like pounder, ball control runner
vs being a home run hitter. Some thought it may have contributed to excessive overwork and overuse wear and tear in his first few years in the NFL.
I don't buy that as a young man who has never had issues or concerns with injuries has just accumulated so much wear and tear toll and pounding that he's slowed that fast in his first 4 years in the NFL.
Yeah, no way. The only thing that makes sense is that he needs to get in better shape. Only thing.

NickZepp

Reaction score
Hard to look real good when your busted up line can't block for you.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Hard to look real good when your busted up line can't block for you.
He’s had the luxury of running behind one of the best lines in football his entire career.

It’s hard to look good when you have Travis Frederick as a lead blocker in the open field against Marcus Maye and Maye holds Zeke to a 12 yard gain.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
against him.

Yeah, no way. The only thing that makes sense is that he needs to get in better shape. Only thing.

I am going to be very interested in seeing how Zeke performs this year under McCarthy. I’ve said this a number of times since 2017 and I will point this out again. Murray’s home run ability disappeared after his rookie year. He didn’t hit a home run his final 3 years with the Cowboys. Once in the open field he didn’t turn home run opportunities into foot races, he seemed to anticipate and then initiate contact with defenders.

After he left Dallas he hit a home run in each of his final 3 seasons.

Zeke seems to have lost his home run ability after his rookie season here, too. I am wondering how much of his lack of big play ability is due to the coaching turning him into a “bell cow” instead of getting him in shape to take advantage of his track star speed?

Just something to look forward to.

NickZepp

Reaction score
He’s had the luxury of running behind one of the best lines in football his entire career.

It’s hard to look good when you have Travis Frederick as a lead blocker in the open field against Marcus Maye and Maye holds Zeke to a 12 yard gain.
Not the last couple years at least. The OL has barely played 2 or 3 games together and healthy at that.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Not the last couple years at least. The OL has barely played 2 or 3 games together and healthy at that.
It hasn’t been 2016 good, but it has still been one of the best. Even Alfred Morris was able to look better than Zeke did in 2017 when our offensive line was at our worst with Tyron Smith out. And Morris faced more stacked boxes that year.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
Why are we paying an average RB to be the highest paid RB in the NFL? 8-8 proves that Zeke is average. Stats dont count, only wins.

How many teams have won SB's paying a QB to be the highest paid RB in the NFL? NONE

Answer: because of those brightful minds of JJ and SJ.

25 and counting.....

Chuck 54

Reaction score
An argument can be made that Zeke is average among the top 5-6 RBs in the world.
But just plain average? That’s ridiculous.

StuckMojo

Reaction score
Although I still think Zeke is a top 3 back he Needs to work in the off-season on quick twitch and speed/agility, instead of bulking. Use Pollard a little more and the two of them together more. This will save his body for the whole season. Just my opinion and I’m no professional coach/trainer, although I did stay at a Holiday Inn express last night.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
He didn’t really have great vision, just great blocking.

kumizi

Reaction score
He was certainly average in 2019. I don't even think it's debatable.

Now whether it was because of his holdout or if he's just less explosive now...for our sake hopefully it was the holdout.

plasticman

Reaction score
He is not an average RB but can certainly play at an average level without any degree of guilt feelings.

Most never really understood just how special Emmitt was. He had the type of character and pride that refused to play at any level below maximum effort and commitment. That is so rare. Zeke knows very little about that mindset.