Zeke is on pace for 1,300+ yards

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Im simply pointing out that Zeke didn't impress the first 3 quarters when it mattered most. RB's have great games, decent games, and bad games.
And no, he didn't play well all game.

And that one long run was when the game was over the defense had given up already.

If my opinion bothers you, I could care less.

I suppose he had a great game in week one also?
I would agree he didn’t look like a star the first 3 quarters, but he was solid and steady and getting good first down yardage most of the time. That’s just how it works sometimes. And that’s all I’m saying. The reality is most of the time a RB doesn’t completely dominate from start to finish - any RB, not just Zeke. Sure, there are occasional games like that, but there is a lot of grinding it out in between.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I would agree he didn’t look like a star the first 3 quarters, but he was solid and steady and getting good first down yardage most of the time. That’s just how it works sometimes. And that’s all I’m saying. The reality is most of the time a RB doesn’t completely dominate from start to finish - any RB, not just Zeke. Sure, there are occasional games like that, but there is a lot of grinding it out in between.

Too many 2nd an longs for my liking. Zeke thus far isn't looking like Zeke.

Im sure he will have some great games coming up, but this wasn't one of them.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Too many 2nd an longs for my liking. Zeke thus far isn't looking like Zeke.

Im sure he will have some great games coming up, but this wasn't one of them.
I felt like he was pretty consistently getting 4-6 yards on first downs, which isn’t bad. I was hoping to see a few longer runs mixed in, but games don’t always go as I would like. It seemed he was on the verge of breaking a few. I suspect Zeke will get his share of longer runs at all points in the game as the season goes along.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I felt like he was pretty consistently getting 4-6 yards on first downs, which isn’t bad. I was hoping to see a few longer runs mixed in, but games don’t always go as I would like. It seemed he was on the verge of breaking a few. I suspect Zeke will get his share of longer runs at all points in the game as the season goes along.

Im sure some better games are coming.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Zeke has 17 career TDs of over 10 yards in 42 games.
Gurley has 17 in 60.
David Johnson has 15 in 51 games.
Kamara has 14 in 33 games.
Bell has 10 in 63 games.
Saquon has 9 in 18 games.
McCaffrey has 5 in 34 games.
Good stuff right there!

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That's what people used to say about Emmitt
And after around 1995, they were right.

Emmitt had 3 40+ yard plays in 1994 (the first year Pro Football Reference has this data).
He had 4 40+ yard plays in 1995.
He had 6 over the rest of his career.
He never topped 4.2 ypc after 1995.
He was a super-reliable presence on the field and a competent and durable rusher (although not much of a pass-catcher) from 1996 on, but he was never again in contention for best RB in the league.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Zeke has 17 career TDs of over 10 yards in 42 games.
Gurley has 17 in 60.
David Johnson has 15 in 51 games.
Kamara has 14 in 33 games.
Bell has 10 in 63 games.
Saquon has 9 in 18 games.
McCaffrey has 5 in 34 games.
What a weirdly specific stat to pull up. Why 10 yards? Why only TDs?
Doing the math here,
Zeke: one every 66 touches
Kamara: 41
Barkley: 43
Johnson: 59
The others are behind Zeke. So he's middle of this pack in this weird stat.

Outlaw Heroes

Reaction score
What a weirdly specific stat to pull up. Why 10 yards? Why only TDs?
Doing the math here,
Zeke: one every 66 touches
Kamara: 41
Barkley: 43
Johnson: 59
The others are behind Zeke. So he's middle of this pack in this weird stat.

10 yards seems a reasonable cut-off since it's often used as the standard for 'explosive' run plays (some people use 15 yards). I assume he only looks only at TDs because there's a prevailing view that Zeke is no longer a home run threat.

I don't think his research accomplishes what he sets out to accomplish, partly because (as you suggest) he's middle of the pack by this metric and partly because my guess is that a disproportionate number of Zeke's 'explosive' runs for TDs came in 2016. He appears to have lost some of his explosiveness already.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
10 yards seems a reasonable cut-off since it's often used as the standard for 'explosive' run plays (some people use 15 yards). I assume he only looks only at TDs because there's a prevailing view that Zeke is no longer a home run threat.

I don't think his research accomplishes what he sets out to accomplish, partly because (as you suggest) he's middle of the pack by this metric and partly because my guess is that a disproportionate number of Zeke's 'explosive' runs for TDs came in 2016. He appears to have lost some of his explosiveness already.
That is my big fear with Zeke. The long runs have gone away, which is consistent with guys who had a ton of work early (including college) and decline rapidly. I'll be very surprised if Zeke is anywhere near a top RB when he's 28. I just hope he's still very good at 26.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
That is my big fear with Zeke. The long runs have gone away, which is consistent with guys who had a ton of work early (including college) and decline rapidly. I'll be very surprised if Zeke is anywhere near a top RB when he's 28. I just hope he's still very good at 26.

IF you go back and look at his highlights last year you see some long runs that were nice but I get your point.

2016 was his best year but he turned into a powerback that looks like he is searching for the safety instead of running to daylight.

When Pollard got the ball against Washington it just felt like if he had a few more carries that he would break one.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
I think Moore's going to use him less than Linehan did, so I expect his yardage to decline, but his efficiency is still rock solid. 4.8 YPC this week, should have been 4.8 YPC last week if he wasn't jobbed by a Cooper penalty that didn't affect the play. Next Sunday should goose his efficiency stats as well. As long as he keeps that kind of pace up, I'm not worried about the difference between say 1100, 1300, or 1500 yards.

Barkley is doing crazy stuff right now though. I bet he ends up with the rushing title this year, and if he does it on that wretched Giants team, he deserves it.
If Dalvin Cook stays healthy he will win the rushing title over Barkley.

joseephuss

Reaction score

Elliott didn't really get that heavy of a workload during his college career. At least not compared to other running backs who played for the Dallas Cowboys.

These are their college numbers:
1163 rushing attempts Tony Dorsett
994 rushing attempts Herschel Walker
759 rushing attempts Demarco Murray
700 rushing attempts Emmitt Smith
592 rushing attempts Ezekiel Elliott

Playmaker3128

Reaction score
Zeke is currently 188th on the all time rushing list. If he even averages 1300 yards for the next 6 seasons he has about 12000 yards just rushing.

That’s good for top 15 all time. Most of those top 15 are in the hall of fame.

He’s proven to be durable and in my mind his elite vision will keep him in This league a while. just has to stay out of any off field issues and he’s a hall of famer.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And after around 1995, they were right.

Emmitt had 3 40+ yard plays in 1994 (the first year Pro Football Reference has this data).
He had 4 40+ yard plays in 1995.
He had 6 over the rest of his career.
He never topped 4.2 ypc after 1995.
He was a super-reliable presence on the field and a competent and durable rusher (although not much of a pass-catcher) from 1996 on, but he was never again in contention for best RB in the league.

Check this guy out. He hates Emmitt.

joseephuss

Reaction score
If the commissioner didn't sit down to pee, Ezekiel Elliott would have 3 rushing titles before turning 24 years of age.

You know who else has done that?

Nobody.

Nobody in the Superbowl/Modern era. Jim Brown did it pre-AFL/NFL merger.