Zeke needs 63 yards for a 1000 yd season

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Really? 4 ypc gets you in the top 40 of averages. That is a really low expectation. Maybe from an undrafted player but not from someone who is supposed to be the best in the game.
I've acknowledged that this is one of Zeke's worst years. You are failing to acknowledge that Zeke has gone through some things most RB's haven't. Or maybe he hasn't. Who else has lost his whole offensive line and franchise QB as well as gotten Covid?

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
Cowboys YPC from Leading Rusher since 2010:

Zeke has 2 of the 3 lowest ypc averages in the past decade for the Cowboys. Why is the expectation so low for Zeke now and 4.1 ypc is considered good all of a sudden?
so you don’t have guys like zeke tapping out on critical downs and allows a team not to be all their eggs/money in one basket in case that RB gets injured or slows down like zeke has.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So why is Dalvin Cook getting so many carries even though Jefferson and Thielen are getting targets?
Because who else on the team is getting big numnber carries?

I realize I'm budding in without knowing what you two are going on about. I'll take your lumps on that.

A good balanced effective team....the coaches! can manage the load spread through out the team

We....have generally NOT managed an effective running game with a big passing attack.

blueblood70

Reaction score
I've acknowledged that this is one of Zeke's worst years. You are failing to acknowledge that Zeke has gone through some things most RB's haven't. Or maybe he hasn't. Who else has lost his whole offensive line and franchise QB as well as gotten Covid?
and had hammy and calf issue and playing from behind means less runs etc OC doesnt commit to the run like Cleveland, MN, Ravens, or Titans..

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

And the new coaches too. All of them by themselves? or a few? ....no big deal. All of them together.....very difficult situations!

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Because who else on the team is getting big numnber carries?

I realize I'm budding in without knowing what you two are going on about. I'll take your lumps on that.

A good balanced effective team....the coaches! can manage the load spread through out the team

We....have generally NOT managed an effective running game with a big passing attack.
That's my point though. Vikings have backups....if I'm not mistaken I think Mattison is his name. But Dalvin Cook can carry the load. Just like Henry.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Cowboys YPC from Leading Rusher since 2010:

2010 - Jones 4.3
2011 - Murray 5.5
2012 - Murray 4.1
2013 - Murray 5.2
2014 - Murray 4.7
2015 - McFadden 4.6
2016 - Zeke 5.1
2017 - Zeke 4.1
2018 - Zeke 4.7
2019 - Zeke 4.5
2020 - Zeke 4.1

It was widely thought of among the Cowboys fan base that we didn't have a good run game until 2014, but our backs were not inefficient. It was also widely thought of that Murray wasn't worth giving a big contract to and that the 2015 running game was a joke which necessitated the Cowboys to use the number 4 overall pick to improve upon. Zeke has 2 of the 3 lowest ypc averages in the past decade for the Cowboys. Why is the expectation so low for Zeke now and 4.1 ypc is considered good all of a sudden?

Ehhh.....I get what you're trying to do but the more carries you get the lower your YPC will be. You don't get 20+ carries a game and then put up 5.5 yards a carry and stay healthy doing it. For the record most of us liked Murray but he was injury prone.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
That easy, huh? I guess that’s why all the teams who have recently given big contracts to RB’s have cut ties to save space. I love how guys like admittedly don’t care about player value and act like the salary cap is some made up thing and doesn’t really exist. Do you not remember a few short years ago when we were in salary cap hell? You may very well see it again because Jerry just keeps changing contracts by kicking the down the road to create more space and if he doesn’t start getting out of these bad contracts it will blow up in his face.
We will be ok. Stephen Jones is cheap. He'll make sure our cap situation is ok. I'm not concerned with it.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That's my point though. Vikings have backups....if I'm not mistaken I think Mattison is his name. But Dalvin Cook can carry the load. Just like Henry.

And it's a good point.

MY point...is that we are not as effective as so many other teams. We seem to get locked into passing...or very narrow running plays.

It seems like we've done better the last few games....and better results. Bad teams? Well maybe. We're not all that great just yet ourselves. But improvements are being made...it seems.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Ehhh.....I get what you're trying to do but the more carries you get the lower your YPC will be. You don't get 20+ carries a game and then put up 5.5 yards a carry and stay healthy doing it. For the record most of us liked Murray but he was injury prone.

All you have to do is look at our RB history. Not sure if we differ form other NFL teams. But our #2's look completely AWESOME! Sometimes obscenely so.

Until they get to #1...um for more than a couple games. We've had like 3 RB's in 25 years that can carry the load from season to season to season. The rest? flaked or flamed.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Other players have gone though crap too. Philly's line has been a dumpster fire. Their receiving talent has been a joke. Their QB has played horribly. Their leading rusher...164 carries, 867 yards, 6 TD, 5.3 ypc. That's Miles Sanders. At some point, the excuses have to stop and the finger has to be pointed at Zeke to overcome some of these reasons.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Then how about we use 2-3 backs, give them fewer carries, and they have higher YPC? That's surely better than an inefficient bell cow, right? Hell, use 10 backs for all I care if lower carries = higher YPC.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Come on dude. kamara?.....the two previous games: 11 carries for 55 yards each and ONE TD combined. If that were zeke you'd already called him garbage.

Or "ONE good game? what garbage".

2 games before that 100 yards and ONE TD. But now suddenly he's GOAT. GOD...people sheesh hate em.

Thomas82

Reaction score
In my opinion, it would still be a great accomplishment for Zeke to get 1,000 yards this year when you factor in things like:

-the turnover on his offensive line
-playing with 4 different quarterbacks
-his team playing from behind often
-playing injured for a good chunk of the season
-missing a game due to injury

Thomas82

Reaction score
And that's another thing.....its not really like this is a run first team or a run happy team. Even with the backup quarterbacks they've attempted to be pass happy.

Which was a mistake IMO. Both years Zeke led the league in rushing the Cowboys were in the playoffs.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
In my opinion, it would still be a great accomplishment for Zeke to get 1,000 yards this year when you factor in things like:

-the turnover on his offensive line
-playing with 4 different quarterbacks
-his team playing from behind often
-playing injured for a good chunk of the season
-missing a game due to injury
U forgot something..

And we have a mediocre OC in Moore.

He needs to be released.

Big Mike should be calling plays.