Zeke needs 63 yards for a 1000 yd season

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
100% agree. It's so annoying reading what fans think players should get paid when they don't have all the details or are paying them.

It really is. I stay out of the conversation altogether. I really could care less what they get paid.

And people use the excuse "OH we need salary cap space"...please. First off, everyone is under contract here for the next few years. Second, if you need salary cap space you can clear up cap space and restructure deals just like everyone else does. So yeah I don't want to even talk about money if a guy is bad he's bad regardless of what he's getting paid. If he's good he's good regardless of what he's getting paid.

Reactions: G2

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I was thinking about this when Cooper got HIS thou.

Offenses are more complex and diverse these days. We're going 4 and 5 deep on WR's. 3 deep on TE's. 3-4 deep on RBs. Or more! Makes it hard to get touches.

Good example is zeke 2016 production verses with Pollard. Just last week people were complaining Brown was taking snaps from others.

Now....imho...zeke AND the whole offense have had a down year. A thou season ISN'T a huge big deal for alleged elite RB. But there are other factors involved here that make it different from the old days.

And that's another thing.....its not really like this is a run first team or a run happy team. Even with the backup quarterbacks they've attempted to be pass happy.

erod

Reaction score
I was thinking about this when Cooper got HIS thou.

Offenses are more complex and diverse these days. We're going 4 and 5 deep on WR's. 3 deep on TE's. 3-4 deep on RBs. Or more! Makes it hard to get touches.

Good example is zeke 2016 production verses with Pollard. Just last week people were complaining Brown was taking snaps from others.

Now....imho...zeke AND the whole offense have had a down year. A thou season ISN'T a huge big deal for alleged elite RB. But there are other factors involved here that make it different from the old days.
6 fumbles.

Tell me how many runs he had for more than 15 yards.

Dude can't outrun me.

khiladi

Reaction score
Dak Prescott in 5 games still has 13 more attempts off players action than Dalton. Dalton has 8 games starting and 10 total games. So essentially Dallas with Dak was way more reliant off play-action with Dak than it is with Dalton, meaning they used the RG and Zeke to open up the passing game more.

Dak is 28th in number of attempts. Every other QB above him has played a minimum of 9 games.

Dak actually moves up to 22nd in yardage off play action with only five games played. Every other QB above him in yardage has played a minimum of 12 games.

Before Dak got hurt, he was basically 1 and 2 with Goff in terms of attempts and yardage.

This offense with Dak is essentially play-action, meaning a running game forcing man coverage and defensive backs playing close to the box, allowing speedy WRs to get down field on the sideline. He’s basically a first read system QB. Dallas is way more reliant on the RG to open up the passing game with Dak as QB. Dak is mediocre as a second-read QB.

Dak, as an aside, was generally complete garbage against the top five teams that defended play action well last year.

Saying that Zeke attempts a lot rushing and is useless in the context of Dak is asinine. Dalton is winning and scoring without play action being a major staple of this offense.

Zeke still getting 1000 yards is actually surprising, based on the play calling and garbage OL mid-season. His fumbling was the biggest issue, but he seems to have corrected that, in an offense that has some consistency now.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2020/passing_advanced.htm

Last edited:

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dak Prescott in 5 games still has thirteen more attempts off players action than Dalton. He is 28th in number of attempts. Every other QB above him has played a minimum of 9 games.

Dak actually moves up to 22nd in yardage with only five games played. Every other QB above him has played a minimum of 12 games.

Before Dak got hurt, he was basically 1 and 2 with Goff in terms of attempts and yardage. This offense with Dak is essentially play-action, meaning a RG forcing man coverage, allowing speedy WRs to get down field. He’s a first read system QB. Dallas is way more reliant on the RG to open up the passing game with Dak as QB.

Dak is mediocre as a second-read QB.

Dak was generally complete garbage against the top five teams that defended play action well last year.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2020/passing_advanced.htm

Apparently you were unable to read the thread title.

I'm also wondering about the focus on the RG - does that mean something other than right guard?

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
It really is. I stay out of the conversation altogether. I really could care less what they get paid.

And people use the excuse "OH we need salary cap space"...please. First off, everyone is under contract here for the next few years. Second, if you need salary cap space you can clear up cap space and restructure deals just like everyone else does. So yeah I don't want to even talk about money if a guy is bad he's bad regardless of what he's getting paid. If he's good he's good regardless of what he's getting paid.
I could do a better job of staying out of the convos myself, but admittedly I sometimes get wrapped up. There are many that keep saying to let a player walk so we can save money and build a team, but ignore the player was on a rookie contract prior and got paid diddly. Plus the doom & gloomers take all the fun out of the sport. I would think different if we had a current insider giving all the info on such and didn't use hypotheticals to try and prove a point that can't really be proven. Just enjoy it.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I could do a better job of staying out of the convos myself, but admittedly I sometimes get wrapped up. There are many that keep saying to let a player walk so we can save money and build a team, but ignore the player was on a rookie contract prior and got paid diddly. Plus the doom & gloomers take all the fun out of the sport. I would think different if we had a current insider giving all the info on such and didn't use hypotheticals to try and prove a point that can't really be proven. Just enjoy it.

Right. That's all you can do with this team man. I can't put any stress into my life from some crap like this. At this point just enjoy the ride because no matter what any moves this team make are going to happen whether we want them to or not. Jerry is gonna move how Jerry wants to move. Not how Cowboyfan12345 wants them to lol.

Reactions: G2

aria

Reaction score
We are all members of the brotherhood of Man. Whether we acknowledge it or not. Unless you're a girl.. which might explain a few things with you..
I’m not your brother Ronnie.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
What is the measuring stick, ypc-wise, for a team to run the ball? 4. What is 1,000 divided by 250? 4.

As someone mentioned, Zeke has had a down year. Does that mean he's done? Not necessarily. For example, Emmitt had the monster 1,773 yard season in 1995, followed by 1,204 and 1,074 yards. The next two years? 1,397 and 1,203. Guess he wasn't washed up after the 1,074 yard season, eh?

Tiki Barber went from 258 to 1006 then down to 865, then after that 1,387, 1,216, 1,518, 1,860 and 1,662 yards. Guess he wasn't washed up either.
And oh, before Zeke's "but his fumbles are up" is brought up, Barber had 36 fumbles between 2000 and 2004, then despite more carries per season they went down to 5, 1 and 3. He fixed the problem. So it can be done.

Point is just because Zeke has had a down year, since he has had excellent years before that, it's certainly possible this year will be the exception.

I just don't get the dissing of Zeke because of one poor, by his previous standards, season. Actually I do get it, the team is not very good this year, guaranteed a losing season, record-wise, and not any real hope of a SB this year, and it's easy to pick out one player and make him the scapegoat. That's easily done, not an excuse, but at least we know why....
He looks just as inefficient to me this year as he did in 2017, he just ran the ball more often per game back then. 4.6 ypc should be the minimum for Zeke. 4.1 ypc should be laughable. It was when Joseph Randle did it.

aria

Reaction score
They're not getting as many carries because everyone is not capable of getting the ball 20+ times a game. The ones that can do though.
Thats laughable.

Its a passing league, the ball is being thrown more therefore there’s not a need to rely a RB now. There’s also several teams that are RB by committee, not because one RB can’t handle the load, but because different RB’s have different skill sets, lessens chance of injury, keeps them fresh so you don’t have guys like zeke tapping out on critical downs and allows a team not to be all their eggs/money in one basket in case that RB gets injured or slows down like zeke has.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Ehhh...4 yards a carry is 4 yards a carry. You give me 4 yards a carry on average and I will move this offense.

The impressive part about this is this is Zeke's worst year of his career. Its the worst offensive line he's had....he hasn't had consistent QB play....under the circumstances....1k yards is impressive in that regard.

And what's crazy is this is arguably better than his 2017 year after his rookie campaign......I keep saying its the worst year of his career but it actually might not be.
Really? 4 ypc gets you in the top 40 of averages. That is a really low expectation. Maybe from an undrafted player but not from someone who is supposed to be the best in the game.

aria

Reaction score

That easy, huh? I guess that’s why all the teams who have recently given big contracts to RB’s have cut ties to save space. I love how guys like admittedly don’t care about player value and act like the salary cap is some made up thing and doesn’t really exist. Do you not remember a few short years ago when we were in salary cap hell? You may very well see it again because Jerry just keeps changing contracts by kicking the down the road to create more space and if he doesn’t start getting out of these bad contracts it will blow up in his face.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Cowboys YPC from Leading Rusher since 2010:

2010 - Jones 4.3
2011 - Murray 5.5
2012 - Murray 4.1
2013 - Murray 5.2
2014 - Murray 4.7
2015 - McFadden 4.6
2016 - Zeke 5.1
2017 - Zeke 4.1
2018 - Zeke 4.7
2019 - Zeke 4.5
2020 - Zeke 4.1

It was widely thought of among the Cowboys fan base that we didn't have a good run game until 2014, but our backs were not inefficient. It was also widely thought of that Murray wasn't worth giving a big contract to and that the 2015 running game was a joke which necessitated the Cowboys to use the number 4 overall pick to improve upon. Zeke has 2 of the 3 lowest ypc averages in the past decade for the Cowboys. Why is the expectation so low for Zeke now and 4.1 ypc is considered good all of a sudden?

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Thats laughable.

Its a passing league, the ball is being thrown more therefore there’s not a need to rely a RB now. There’s also several teams that are RB by committee, not because one RB can’t handle the load, but because different RB’s have different skill sets, lessens chance of injury, keeps them fresh so you don’t have guys like zeke tapping out on critical downs and allows a team not to be all their eggs/money in one basket in case that RB gets injured or slows down like zeke has.

So why is Dalvin Cook getting so many carries even though Jefferson and Thielen are getting targets?

blueblood70

Reaction score
For years, 1,000 yards used to define running backs.

Guys did it when the schedule was 12 games, then 14 games. But that required averaging 83 yards and 74 yards respectively.

How many times did Emmitt Smith have less than 63 yards? Rarely.

yet how many years did he finish under 4YOC? that would be 7 out of 13 yes the mighty ES was force-fed the ball while Troy was around or under 200yards a game..its called being bell cow volume back on a team fully committed to the run with HOF Line and an OC that didn't care about the YPC , they ran it until the other team got tired then got some bigger runs and hit PA all th 2nd half.
you might want to educate yourself on Emmitt, he didnt only have 63 yards but he had more than half his career under 4 YPC for the YEAR!!!

this is now a more pass happy league and when you have an OC that is not committed to the run and rather pass and when he does run ,its Fullback type play calls , nothing schemed all vanilla..

so with a chit OL, a backup QB, no defense , an OC everyone admits is pass happy boy wonder he gets 1k which is hovering around 3.9/4 YPC which ES himself on better teams had the same yearly avg 7 years!

whats the difference genius? its the non commitment to pound the rock..that the difference,, ES only had One year over 5ypc and 3 over 4.5 a few 4-4.3 and the rest YUP ALL UNDER 4YPC..JUDT LIKE ZEKE this season with far less talent

got it ??

let me know when you want to try and shame zekes year when ES had many like this on better teams....

hater hate so blind it hurts when the truth is laid out