Video: Zeke & Pollard Training

aria

Reaction score
Too many variables in the run game to blame Zeke. You have 3 other parts (OL, QB, Receiving Corp) who also have to be in sync for the RB position to be successful (also aside from effective play calling). The OL has been out of sync and/or undermanned which we have seen the last few years. The QB has not been extremely accurate or on time with his receivers either. That's not necessarily an indictment on DP because he also needs a running game and OL to be successful. I would even go as far as blaming the OC on 1st and 2nd down play calling in part since he's not fooling any D coordinators lately.
Ultimately, if DP finds his timing and accuracy, the OL finds a rhythm and some muscle to control the LOS, Zeke will find his old legs..
So that works both ways, right? Because I hardly ever heard the O line getting credit for his success until he didn’t do good last year and then all of the sudden it was because of the O line.

Prior to last season, when bringing up other top RB’s and how they were having comparable or better success behind worse O lines, I was told that didn’t matter. zeke was “generational” and “elite”, he “carries the team”.

Why is the O line suddenly a valid excuse for zeke last year but it wasn’t for any other RB in the league since his rookie year?

I’ve asked this question, given plenty of examples backed by stats, and still have yet to receive an explanation so I’m hoping maybe you can explain it to me.

DenCWBY

Reaction score
So that works both ways, right? Because I hardly ever heard the O line getting credit for his success until he didn’t do good last year and then all of the sudden it was because of the O line.

Prior to last season, when bringing up other top RB’s and how they were having comparable or better success behind worse O lines, I was told that didn’t matter. zeke was “generational” and “elite”, he “carries the team”.

Why is the O line suddenly a valid excuse for zeke last year but it wasn’t for any other RB in the league since his rookie year?

I’ve asked this question, given plenty of examples backed by stats, and still have yet to receive an explanation so I’m hoping maybe you can explain it to me.
First I'm not calling Zeke "generational" or "one to carry the team". IMO there are no RB's that fit that skill level or have the opportunity to do so since we're now in a passing league.
Zeke came out as a rookie with the luxury of a hot young QB and a solid, healthy Oline. I don't have the stats but I'll bet his first 2 years, he had 2 or 3 yards more on run plays before he was touched by a defender than these last few years. It could even be less yards, however Zeke is a runner whereby he's much more effective at the second level because he punishes defenders (more his size) at that level.
Take the Bucs RB's last year. They aren't sensational names however under an elite QB and a strong healthy, in rhythm Oline, they were very effective.
Again, I'm not claiming Zeke is a game changer at this point and I agree he's overpaid. However you fix the offensive position's around him, he can be as effective as any back in the league.

aria

Reaction score
First I'm not calling Zeke "generational" or "one to carry the team". IMO there are no RB's that fit that skill level or have the opportunity to do so since we're now in a passing league.
Zeke came out as a rookie with the luxury of a hot young QB and a solid, healthy Oline. I don't have the stats but I'll bet his first 2 years, he had 2 or 3 yards more on run plays before he was touched by a defender than these last few years. It could even be less yards, however Zeke is a runner whereby he's much more effective at the second level because he punishes defenders (more his size) at that level.
Take the Bucs RB's last year. They aren't sensational names however under an elite QB and a strong healthy, in rhythm Oline, they were very effective.
Again, I'm not claiming Zeke is a game changer at this point and I agree he's overpaid. However you fix the offensive position's around him, he can be as effective as any back in the league.
I agree with most of that with one exception. I think being much more effective at the second level would be gaining more yards by breaking tackles, forcing missed tackles and using speed to be more elusive in general. He’s been average to below average in most of those categories for the past few years.

If we want a player who plods along and gets an additional 1-2 yards by running directly into a defender instead of using other skills to make them miss then we should get a FB for a fraction of the price.

Remember Brandon Jacobs? He trucked defenders and was great at it but he was never anywhere close to being paid as the one of the best backs in the league, let alone the highest paid of all time.

I just haven’t seen anything elite about zeke since 2016 other than being a volume back which is nothing special.

BTW, I wasn’t picking on you. I just don’t recall asking you that question and I’m trying to find someone to give me an answer.

Thanks for the reply!

DenCWBY

Reaction score
I agree with most of that with one exception. I think being much more effective at the second level would be gaining more yards by breaking tackles, forcing missed tackles and using speed to be more elusive in general. He’s been average to below average in most of those categories for the past few years.

If we want a player who plods along and gets an additional 1-2 yards by running directly into a defender instead of using other skills to make them miss then we should get a FB for a fraction of the price.

Remember Brandon Jacobs? He trucked defenders and was great at it but he was never anywhere close to being paid as the one of the best backs in the league, let alone the highest paid of all time.

I just haven’t seen anything elite about zeke since 2016 other than being a volume back which is nothing special.

BTW, I wasn’t picking on you. I just don’t recall asking you that question and I’m trying to find someone to give me an answer.

Thanks for the reply!
I get it and we're on the same page when your talk yards and value per $$ paid. He's in short supply in that category since getting his contract. Esp. his fumbling and pass catching last year. Better get that cleaned up pronto.