Zeke up or down

John813

Reaction score
He's going to be fine. It's his third game in the NFL*.
While Dak has played well, he doesn't command the respect of a Tony Romo.
Which means the defense will stop the run first and then bet on Dak being a rookie and making mistakes.

Ball control only becomes an issue if he fumbles the next 2-3 games. At this point, it's too early to make assumptions off of two regular season games.

*1 PS game included.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
This does seem to be the case more often which is a bit perplexing. I don't recall being outnumbered this much on rushing attempts even with Cassell and Weeden at QB last season.

It's a tendency issue and the Cowboys not taking advantage of it.

That is why the Commanders were struggling so much with the bootleg. Teams just aren't used to seeing us run plays that take advantage of them cheating with #'s.

So far we are showing teams that they can shut us down with 8 or 9 men in the box but plays like the bootleg is definitely a step in the right direction and the Chicago Bears will have to prepare for that and not just know the answer to the problem before every snap.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I'm seeing a lot of stuff about Zeke not being what we thought he was. So, I'm just trying to get a clear idea of how everyone feels about him. And yes I understand it's only 2 games buts it's Monday.

Week 1) 20 attempts for 51 yards 1 TD 2.6 average 0 fumbles
Week 2) 21 attempts for 83 yards 1 TD 4.0 average 2 fumbles

I'd add a poll, but I just realized idk how to do it:( so, if an admin would be so kind that would be great:banghead:

Compared to what he was supposed to be, he looks very disappointing. I see nothing special about this kid at the moment. He looks like he could be a solid back, but I think you can eliminate the Peterson type comparisons. Definitely not that talented.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
How much of Zeke's play has to do with Dak's play?

How much has to do with the team not being able to throw downfield and stretch the defense?

How much of his play is dictated by defenses walking their safeties up?

If you consider a stat, and not the actual inner workings of these facts and his rookie status, then your angst, anger, concern is over reaction at best

If stats are what drives your bus, and nothing more, then gander at these stats.

Games - 16..... Att - 241..... Att per game - 15.1..... yards 937..... avg. - 3.9..... yards per game - 58.6..... TDs - 11..... Long 48T

If Zeke stays true to his production thus far, he will eclipse the yardage above by over 100 yards.

By the way, those stats are Emmitts. See how stats work. This board would have been foaming at the mouth Emmitt's rookie year questioning if he was worth the first round pick. Especially when he showed up in his chocolate brown polka-dotted short set and held out for more money before he played one snap of football in the pre-season.

BzfVai1CEAAl60F.png:large

Please spare the entire board the knee jerk reaction to Zeke learning the Nfl

goshan

Reaction score
I don't expect that may WOW plays. He is like Smith 22 in that way.
He will be very good at everything, but isn't Barry Sanders or A. Peterson in terms of amazing runs.
That being said, he showed no vision or patience in week 1. He was much better Sunday, but then the fumbles...

bayeslife

187beatdown
Reaction score
The bootleg was a step in the right direction in terms of exposing those fronts.. There is a multitude of ways to take advantage of the 8 & 9 man fronts but it's progress.

Anytime this coaching staff shows the willingness to call something that isn't out of the 1960's playbook i'm happy.

Teams can't keep selling out against the run now that Dak is getting comfortable and burning them for long gains to his tight ends every time

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Teams can't keep selling out against the run now that Dak is getting comfortable and burning them for long gains to his tight ends every time

They can if our coaches allow it to happen.

Our coaches think crashing into a wall 25 times is worth that 1 big run that we might get every couple weeks. I don't believe that.

IMO, Getting 8 or 9 guys in the box has accomplished the goal of getting your 15 mill a year WR in favorable coverage.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Zeke's arrow is down for now.

Granted teams are effectively loading the box with run blitzes and are content with trying to make Dak beat them in the air, I'm still not seeing the explosive immediate impact player he was promised to be by so many.

To his credit, what I do like about Zeke is that he's always looking to finish off runs and point north; he's done well in short-yardage situations which is a positive trait.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score

Yep. It's gonna take time until Dak establishes himself as a consistent threat in the air, which he's already started to show.

JBS

Reaction score
Zeke way down but it's still early.

He didn't have a good game yesterday. The second he gains a bit of confidence off of a really nice run he starts fumbling and almost cost us the game.

Dallas plays a 50-50 brand of football and when you put the ball on the ground you aren't worth it.

I've seen ex-players say that he wouldn't look right until at least the 3rd or 4th game so i'm giving him the benefit of the doubt and we better start seeing some return on investment around October.

Yes on all of this...he was just starting to get in a groove early in the 2H...I think the ground game and Zeke are close...I'm not panicking yet...

Naruto

Reaction score
Down

His pedigree is the only thing that has saved him from getting flat out benched

thisiscowboyscountry

Reaction score
I'm seeing a lot of stuff about Zeke not being what we thought he was. So, I'm just trying to get a clear idea of how everyone feels about him. And yes I understand it's only 2 games buts it's Monday.

I'd add a poll, but I just realized idk how to do it:( so, if an admin would be so kind that would be great:banghead:

Expectations were way too high for him to begin with.. The thought that we could plug him in and expect 100 rushing yards each week are ridiculous for a rookie. To me hes played how I expected with the thought youll see him get better as the season wears on. Im still of the belief the Cowboys should have started Morris and split carries 50/50. This would give him an opportunity to adapt to the NFL without the pressure of being the lead dog. Once hes proven himself then continue to up his carries.

Frankly, the Cowboys should start Morris next week and it should stay that way until Elliott earns the job... No one should be handed anything until its earned. Elliott didnt earn anything yet outside of being the 4th overall pick...

Blackspider214

Reaction score
H'ell be fine. He got limited work in the preseason. 14 total snaps. Very little work in camp. He got better from week 1 to 2. Can't have those fumbles, though.

Rookie RBs take a long time to get in gear. Emmitt his rookie year was not that great at all.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Zeke will flat out explode in the coming weeks.

I wasn't in the camp to draft the guy, but he is very good. So far, teams are absolutely loading up to stop the run. They are daring Dak to beat them.
I'm sure Dak's doing better than they expected, even though the pass coverage is very thin due to run-stacking. I also think opposing defenses will take the 0:0 TD:Int ratio.

Once the pass game starts scoring TDs, it'll be interesting to see if opposing defenses back off some. If they do, look out for Zeke.
If they don't then they will soon enough when the starting QB returns.

cowboys2233

Reaction score

Way up, IMO. Yes, the fumbles were aggravating but totally correctable. His explosiveness was evident. He is going to dominate in short order.

LocimusPrime

Reaction score
  • I was not a fan of the Zeke pick but since he's a cowboy I'll clap and root for him to succeed
  • We'll be able to judge more once he goes through an entire season
  • Needs to get a handle on those fumbles
  • I don't see all those exceptional skills that everyone said he possessed but he's a rookie