Zeke vs Barkley: Which is best RB in NFL?

johneric8

Reaction score
The real question is who has the most rushing yards? I rest my case. :)
I think he Emmitt Smith comparison to Barry Sanders is a great one when looking at zeke and sb. Barry Sanders would scare the crap out of me as a kid watching the lions face the cowboys and truth be told he looked like the better running back in terms of moves and highlight reel runs, but there was something that Emmitt had that Barry didn't and that was Heart and Consistency. Emmitt was just flat out more consistent and grind the hard yards out. Zeke reminds me a bit of Emmitt in terms of being a grinder, but I still think zeke will never have Emmitt's passion but I hope I'm wrong.

The last thing I want to say here is that I know it's early, but Tony Pollard looks to have a similar running style to Emmitt in the sense of how he glides effortlessly between tackles and accelerates with no hesitation through cracks. I honestly believe that Pollard is a deadly weapon with our online, I don't think many of you have taken this into account. I think Pollard is going to look amazing with this line and cause lots of questions on whether Zeke was worth it or not.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Without similar lines, coaching, offensive schemes and opponents, impossible to say.

Suffice it to say there are both excellent running backs, at least to this point...

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
I look at them exactly in the same way I did in the Emmitt-Barry Sanders debate. Sanders would wow you more than Emmitt. He was a “prettier” runner. He would break more long, ankle-breaking runs. Emmitt was much more consistent and more dependable. He got the yards when you absolutely needed it. He put the team on his back at times. He ended games. If you’re down 4 with 50 seconds to go on the 4 yard line in the Super Bowl, who do you want to give the ball to? The answer is clearly Emmitt. Emmitt was the better, more complete back. Zeke is Emmitt and Barkley is Sanders. Thus endeth the lesson.

As big of a fan of Emmitt as I am, here's the flaw in your reasoning. In your Super Bowl scenario the team could just as easily throw a little dump off pass in the flats and let Sanders waltz into the endzone. Emmitt might have run it up the middle for a TD where as Sanders got the ball in the open and able to use his skills to get a TD. Lets also not forget that if Sanders hadn't retire prematurely many sports people believe he would have retied as the NFL's all time leading rusher and that Emmitt probably wouldn't have been able to catch him.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Which flavor of 'awesome' do you like best? I like Zeke better as a player, but that's just a matter of style. As a person, give me Barkley, hands-down.

Kind of cool, though, that this is pretty much the Emmitt/Barry debate all over again. Stylistically and everything.

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
As big of a fan of Emmitt as I am, here's the flaw in your reasoning. In your Super Bowl scenario the team could just as easily throw a little dump off pass in the flats and let Sanders waltz into the endzone. Emmitt might have run it up the middle for a TD where as Sanders got the ball in the open and able to use his skills to get a TD. Lets also not forget that if Sanders hadn't retire prematurely many sports people believe he would have retied as the NFL's all time leading rusher and that Emmitt probably wouldn't have been able to catch him.

If my aunt had balls she’d be my uncle.

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score

By the way, there’s a “flaw” in your analysis. Emmitt was a much better receiver out of the backfield than Sanders in addition to being the much tougher runner.

cern

Reaction score
my standard for measuring rb greatness is the ability to move the chains. when it's 3rd and 2 in a critical phase of the game, the guy who makes the whole team confident he'll get the first down. all really good rb's get the occasional great run of 30, 40 50 yards or more. but those aren't the norm, even for the great ones. zeke's a chain moving machine.

Reactions: G2

THEHEREAFTER

Reaction score
Barkley-- the more explosive athlete. Better receiver.

Zeke-- better pure RB. Vision, patience, follows/sets up blocks. More instinctive between the tackles. What's discounted is RB's like Zeke consistently put the offense in 2nd and 5,4,3 or less etc.. as opposed to operating behind the sticks. That's just sound winning football.

The problem I have with Barkley is 7 games under 50 yards rushing. He's explosive but very hit or miss.

Swanny

Reaction score
Zeke Elliott vs Saquon Barkley NYG- who is the best RB in NFL ?

I admit that I go back and forth with this question and I can see why there’s always a comparison between the two.
Both RBs have great run instincts, extremely athletic (hurdling tacklers) have been extremely productive and possess dangerous breakaway ability.
Both players have receiving ability that’s been under-utilized with their respective teams, imo. But if used properly can be very dangerous.

- Zeke is a one cut runner who seems more powerful between the tackles, and gets more yardage after contact. I’ve heard testimonies from opposing players say that Zeke tends to wear you
down with his power and relentless, ..drive while you still have to always be on alert of his ability to break a play open - whether its' a run play or that patented screen pass
Plus Zeke is a better blitz blocker than Barkley.

- Barkley is probably the most explosive breakaway back in the entire NFL – I think he is more elusive than Zeke, harder to bring down in the open field, (tacklers just slide off his legs like butter)
And he has an edge in that special extra gear to hit the home TD run sprint – even more than zeke.

So what are your thoughts when comparing the two RBs ?
Barkley

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score

I admit that I go back and forth with this question and I can see why there’s always a comparison between the two.
Both RBs have great run instincts, extremely athletic (hurdling tacklers) have been extremely productive and possess dangerous breakaway ability.
Both players have receiving ability that’s been under-utilized with their respective teams, imo. But if used properly can be very dangerous.

- Zeke is a one cut runner who seems more powerful between the tackles, and gets more yardage after contact. I’ve heard testimonies from opposing players say that Zeke tends to wear you
down with his power and relentless, ..drive while you still have to always be on alert of his ability to break a play open - whether its' a run play or that patented screen pass

- Barkley is probably the most explosive breakaway back in the entire NFL – I think he is more elusive than Zeke, harder to bring down in the open field, (tacklers just slide off his legs like butter)
And he has an edge in that special extra gear to hit the home TD run sprint – even more than zeke.

Why go back and forth?
We got a really good one, and they got a really good one.
The difference lies in how your team is built.
This team is built to pound the ever loving crap out of you on the ground,, the Gnats, not so much support for Barkley.
Kind of reminds how totally awesome Barry Sanders was, and how as great as he was, he had little support, Barry had to make it happen on his own.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Emmitt was just flat out more consistent and grind the hard yards out.

Ah, no. Their last 7th through the 10th years, Barry had 3 seasons of over 1,500 yards. Emmitt had zero. Emmitt averaged from 3.7 to 4.2 ypc, Barry 4.3 to 6.1 ypc. Barry had the 2,053 yard season, in his 9th year. Emmitt had 1,332.

If Sanders had played another couple of years he'd have more yards than Emmitt, probably, at his average in his last 4 years he was getting 1,649 yards per year, two years gives him 18,567 yards.

Hey I love Emmitt, and overall I think he was one of the greatest running backs ever, better than Sanders due to his toughness, blocking and receiving.

But more consistent? No...

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
I understand what you're saying, but look at it this way, the cowboys offense does play ball control style, but it also can strike fast as proven when game is on the line. Just look at the amount of comebacks Dak has at this point in his short career. I also never said our Defense was dependent on zeke or a ball control offense, it's just the style they play. Having said that, I think we can all agree that something has to change with this in terms of on we keep defenses off balance. Our defense is very good, so I don't see a ball controlled offense a necessity at all, but just the style of our coach which I know many of us don't like. But make no mistake about it, keeping the ball out of the hands of good NFL offenses with some steady drives and three and outs on the defensive side of the ball is a fine recipe, I just don't think that the team should rely on that.

Offensively the cowboys really need to be less predictable if they want to move further to their goals, and hopefully the addition of the beaver calling plays this can be of some major help. I think all of us can agree that watching us run the same plays from the same static formations has been an utter joke in many ways and it's time to change things around. Just having the opposing defense guessing a bit would do us wonders in terms of being able to strike quicker and more often.

The last thing I'm going to say is that I still think that Zeke is a better all around back and can get the tougher yards, but can still do many of the things SB can do, and I think this season will tell us quite a bit.

I find if funny, not ha ha funny, that people keep talking about the style and plays ran in the past. Being a run first offense the Cowboys were 13 - 3 in 2016 and won the division. In 2017 because of injuries and the loss of Elliott for 6 games they didn't fair as well but in 2018 again the Cowboys run first offense won the division. Here's a little history lesson. Lombardi and the packers ran the same handful of plays and when Lombardi was questioned about it he said they would continue to run their plays until teams prove they can stop them. They went on to win 3 consecutive NFL championships running the same plays.

Longboysfan

hipfake08
Reaction score
Will Barkley survive 6 to 7 years in the NFL with the Giants offensive line?

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
By the way, there’s a “flaw” in your analysis. Emmitt was a much better receiver out of the backfield than Sanders in addition to being the much tougher runner.

Much better? Maybe a very small tad if that. Over Emmitt's first 10 seasons the same number as what Sanders played Emmitt had a grand total of 63 more catches or 6.3 per season more. Now you're saying a huge total (sarcasm) of 6.3 catches per season make Emmitt a much better reciever? Stop being such a homer and admit there are players from other teams that are as good if not better than some of the Cowboys.

viman96

Thread Killer
Reaction score
This is the modern era version Barry vs Emmitt. I took Emmitt then for the same reasons I take Zeke now. Zeke is a 3 down back that consistently gets you yards. Barkely dances too much and will go no where or lose yards. Having said that, both are awesome backs and we are lucky to see both in their prime and any team and fanbase would be lucky to have them.

kskboys

Reaction score
These sports people are guilty of analyzing w/o considering all aspects.

Barry was a speed back. Speed backs are often done around the age of 30 due to losing a half step. Huge part of the equation that is being left out.

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
These sports people are guilty of analyzing w/o considering all aspects.

Barry was a speed back. Speed backs are often done around the age of 30 due to losing a half step. Huge part of the equation that is being left out.
He wasn’t really a speed back, more of an agility back. He had great speed but there were faster players in the league. He was also a weight lifting fanatic who was physically stronger than Emmitt and who ran through tackles all the time. He had huge legs. But people forget that while making up their weird narratives.

Ken

Reaction score

To me...it is Barkley and it isn't even close.