Zeke vs of Vikings in the box

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
The #men in the box numbers don't mean much unless it corresponds with the offensive alignment.

The traditional 8 vs 7 men in the box is based on 2 TE or a TE / FB set.

When the offense is 3 WRs, it more a question of 6 vs 7 men in the box.

If the TE is split out, then it's more 5 vs 6 men in the box.

The Cowboys are running primarily 3 WR sets but they often have the TE split out.
z.png

texbumthelife

Reaction score
Just as I know you realize that's not what we're talking about, yes.

I mean, that's exactly what I'm talking about. So, maybe we have a miscommunication. All I've said throughout this thread is a defense can key the run without selling out. That's it. Nothing about Zeke or inference about Dak.

birdwells1

Reaction score
Generally speaking, when the defense doesn't bring an extra defender into the box, that's telling you they don't feel that they need such an advantage in order to stop the run, or that they can't afford to be at such a disadvantage against the pass.
This would be more of an indictment of the oline than Zeke. Same thing happened against the Saints, where were the plays where the line opened an obvious hole that Zeke missed? I know I saw Smith close to the line in an obvious run support assignment a lot.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
This would be more of an indictment of the oline than Zeke.
It's a combination of the Vikings being confident in two things: 1) that their DL could beat our OL, and 2) that Dallas would insist on trying to establish the run. Both assumptions were completely justified.

GMO415

Reaction score
From here on out, every team will take away EzE. Subsequently, they will allow Dak to be himself and wait for the Cowboys to make costly mistakes. This should net the other team a victory using this formula.

DAL should know this going into each and every game, yet 10 weeks in they have ZERO clue.

nobody

Reaction score
Zeke played like Witten has been training him. As soon as he got the ball and a guy touches him, he goes down.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
If you watch the film study he goes into enough depth as to why we failed on most of the runs. Yes we were out manned on a large percentage of runs. But in cases where they didn't have the numbers they just beat our sorry arses in run blocking.

For anyone who still repeats this lie about our OL being so great.... Stop it. Its a lie that won't die. These guys haven't been that great in a few years.
Your QB doesnt get sacked 58 times when your line is 'great'. They have regressed. No sense in denying it any longer.
yeah I never bought into the OL being great, the guys like aikman etc went on about it for years, but it is a game of matchups
on the linemen, I noticed our guys have problems with the big DL and it varys from team to team, some guys they can beat
or push around, and some they cant.
Also our blocking schemes suck IMO.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
There is no way 2016 Zeke just went away along with his instincts.

Zeke has still been great but nothing like 2016.

I notice with most of our backs they look their best early on. Demarco was the exception but I think the reason he did better because the added weight actually made him a better player.

Every RB we have had gets too bulky and they start running into crowds. They almost all look their best as rookies.
Murray was always good, he just got hurt was was out for awhile, but later before the 2014 season he worked with witten
in the off season to get in better shape and started drinking more water to avoid dehydration.
He was just in great shape for that season, and he didnt take himself out like EE does all the time.
And he was getting more carries than EE at that time.
The jones boys didnt want to pay Murray but 4 mil a year, and now they pay EE what 15 mil a year ?? :huh::angry:
I think at the time Murray was the overall better player compared to elliot now.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
Murray was always good, he just got hurt was was out for awhile, but later before the 2014 season he worked with witten
in the off season to get in better shape and started drinking more water to avoid dehydration.
He was just in great shape for that season, and he didnt take himself out like EE does all the time.
And he was getting more carries than EE at that time.
The jones boys didnt want to pay Murray but 4 mil a year, and now they pay EE what 15 mil a year ?? :huh::angry:
I think at the time Murray was the overall better player compared to elliot now.

Yeah that was dumb. I would have paid him and this offense wouldn't have skipped a beat the following year.

They said that anyone can run behind this oline? Well, how come our 100 million dollar RB can't?

I wish they could have gotten Tevin Coleman that year.

They had a chance to get him while Zeke was holding out. Tevin signed with the 9ers for only 5 million a year for 2 years.