Zeke vs of Vikings in the box

superonyx

Reaction score
I never said anything to the contrary, you crybaby joke of a man.
:laugh:

Post another Jerry Jones quote as proof of something though. Clown.
Read through this thread. You created a thread because you saw a tweet and got all nerded up and felt vindicated. You post it trying to troll cowboys fans thinking you had proof Zeke sucks blah blah blah.

In 30 seconds I found a video breakdown from a legit source reviewing every run play and now your embarrassed and fighting with about 10 different people .

Do your homework next time and avoid this public embarrassment.

Just learn from it. No one is perfect. You were wrong. It happens. Admit it and move on.
Zekes performance was blocking problems and scheme problems.

post proof that shows otherwise.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score

Tell us again how the Vikings were “gearing up to stop Zeke” and THAT is why he struggled.

Tell us again that they “dared Dak” to beat them and that’s the only reason he played well.

Tell us again that Ezekiel Elliott should continue to be the focal point of the offense despite Dak’s career year.

Go ahead.

Delvin Cook > Zeke

buybuydandavis

Reaction score

Tell us again how the Vikings were “gearing up to stop Zeke” and THAT is why he struggled.

Tell us again that they “dared Dak” to beat them and that’s the only reason he played well.

Tell us again that Ezekiel Elliott should continue to be the focal point of the offense despite Dak’s career year.

Go ahead.

Defenders "in the box" doesn't mean anything without knowing how many offensive players were "in the box" too, and whether safeties were cheating up.

birdwells1

Reaction score
They did.

The problem with the guys in the box stat is that it doesn't take into account when Dallas plays 3 receivers or more.

Imagine a team putting 8 in the box when we're rolling out 3 or 4 receivers.

Their gameplan was to not let Zeke beat them. IT worked.
Absolutely, I remember this from last year, it's not accurate.

cowboyblue22

Reaction score

Go ahead.

I agree zeke looks washed up and wore out and that game dak played last sunday night was really really good

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Good thing we can actually WATCH THE GAME and see with our own eyes the Vikings clearly playing to limit Zeke. Honestly, arguing anything else is just trying to serve a personal agenda, which is the most popular post around here so it's not shocking.

There is a reason Dak threw for as many yards as he did and it's not because they were playing to stop the pass, or even to be balanced. Yeah, it's because their game plan was to stop Zeke.

If the Cowboys were doing play action passes on first down and fooling the Vikings, then this theory of yours might have weight. But you can see from the game and the many articles that the cowboys were stubbornly running on first down all game long.

Where Dak was picking up most of his yardage was on 3rd and long. He constantly came through in the clutch in those situations.

And sorry, but the Vikings were NOT selling out to stop the run on 3rd and 8 or 3rd and 12.

Just face the fact that Dak has made a complete mockery out of guys like you and your laughable claim that Dak is backup material.

HE is now guiding the #1 ranked offense in all of football. And thats even with Zeke the turd getting shut down in games like this.

In fact, there is no better QB in the NFL on 3rd and long that Dak Prescott. The guy is flat out a total and complete stud.

And your hero Zeke has lost a step and signed one of the worst contracts in Cowboys history.

Ironically, it appears to be ZEKE that needs all pros at every position to be effective. And even then, the guy cant even bounce it outside or make a play.

TheHerd

Reaction score
If you watch the film study he goes into enough depth as to why we failed on most of the runs. Yes we were out manned on a large percentage of runs. But in cases where they didn't have the numbers they just beat our sorry arses in run blocking.

For anyone who still repeats this lie about our OL being so great.... Stop it. Its a lie that won't die. These guys haven't been that great in a few years.
Your QB doesnt get sacked 58 times when your line is 'great'. They have regressed. No sense in denying it any longer.
This is what my eye test told me. Vikings defenders best our OL at the point of attack consistently. Usually 2 or 3 at a time. There was nothing to work with.

TheSkaven

Last Man Standing
Reaction score

Go ahead.

Uh oh, you touched the third rail. Prepare to be attacked by Cowboys Zoners. Zeke is the untouchable one.

For the rest of us, this shows the obvious. Zeke has certainly lost something. He's slower, no argument there (I hope). He's not breaking tackles. He's a very average back right now, and when you saw Cook run, the difference couldn't be more clear.

Now obviously 100% of the blame doesn't fall on his shoulders. Fredbeard had a horrible game, especially on that last series where his defender literally blew right by him.

But that doesn't change the facts that the Cowboys paid for a top 3 back and got a top 15 back.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
The problem with the guys in the box stat is that it doesn't take into account when Dallas plays 3 receivers or more.
According to Sturm, Dallas didn't run at all from 4-WR sets. The Cowboys had 15 runs from 3-WR sets, 5 runs from 2-WR sets, and 1 run with 1 WR (Pollard's 4-yd loss).

There were 11 runs vs 5-6 in the box, which you'd have to assume were all when Dallas had 3 WR. That means six blockers. 5-6 box defenders vs 6 blockers is obviously not a loaded box.

So only 4 of the Cowboys' other 10 runs were from 3-WR sets. That's a maximum of 4 runs with 6 blockers and at least 7 box defenders, and it leaves just 6 more runs to account for. All those runs had at least 7 blockers, and only 2 had 8 box defenders.

I realize that's a lot of numbers to digest, but the upshot is that there were very few occasions when the Vikings had a +1 box. Certainly no more than about 30% of the time. At least 70% of the time, Dallas either had a numbers advantage, or it was even. And the RB is expected to make one guy miss anyway.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
If the Cowboys were doing play action passes on first down and fooling the Vikings, then this theory of yours might have weight. But you can see from the game and the many articles that the cowboys were stubbornly running on first down all game long.

Where Dak was picking up most of his yardage was on 3rd and long. He constantly came through in the clutch in those situations.

And sorry, but the Vikings were NOT selling out to stop the run on 3rd and 8 or 3rd and 12.

Just face the fact that Dak has made a complete mockery out of guys like you and your laughable claim that Dak is backup material.

HE is now guiding the #1 ranked offense in all of football. And thats even with Zeke the turd getting shut down in games like this.

In fact, there is no better QB in the NFL on 3rd and long that Dak Prescott. The guy is flat out a total and complete stud.

And your hero Zeke has lost a step and signed one of the worst contracts in Cowboys history.

Ironically, it appears to be ZEKE that needs all pros at every position to be effective. And even then, the guy cant even bounce it outside or make a play.

The hell are you talking about? I've said numerous times how well Dak played.

You're responding to one of the many posts I've made in this thread and drawing conclusions that aren't there.

Dak played fantastic. DAK PLAYED FANTASTIC. DAK. PLAYED. FANTASTIC. You get that? That clear enough for you? You need pictures?

The fact that Dak played fantastic has nothing to do with the Vikings keying the run. No, keying the run doesn't mean you load the box on third and long. That's pretty obviously and just an obnoxiously idiotic assumption to place on me.

Read. READ. Read what people write before you go off on some completely misguided tangent. JFC

texbumthelife

Reaction score
According to Sturm, Dallas didn't run at all from 4-WR sets. The Cowboys had 15 runs from 3-WR sets, 5 runs from 2-WR sets, and 1 run with 1 WR (Pollard's 4-yd loss).

There were 11 runs vs 5-6 in the box, which you'd have to assume were all when Dallas had 3 WR. That means six blockers. 5-6 box defenders vs 6 blockers is obviously not a loaded box.

So only 4 of the Cowboys' other 10 runs were from 3-WR sets. That's a maximum of 4 runs with 6 blockers and at least 7 box defenders, and it leaves just 6 more runs to account for. All those runs had at least 7 blockers, and only 2 had 8 box defenders.

I realize that's a lot of numbers to digest, but the upshot is that there were very few occasions when the Vikings had a +1 box. Certainly no more than about 30% of the time. At least 70% of the time, Dallas either had a numbers advantage, or it was even. And the RB is expected to make one guy miss anyway.

Again. You don't have to "load the box" to key on the run. This isn't Madden, guys. You plays your DL in specific ways to combat the run. You align your base defense in specific ways to combat it. You don't have to commit extra defenders to key on the run. As if that wasn't enough, Vikings coaches came out and outright said they keyed on Zeke.

I'm done trying to explain something you guys just don't even want to understand.

Starforever

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

Go ahead.

Zeke had a bad game, but the number of men in the box, does not tell the whole story. However many were in the box, more joined at the snap and Dallas could not block them. Zeke was afraid to run outside, no matter how much room he had. If I were coaching, it doesn't matter how much he is being paid; Pollard would start, and his unenergized behind would spell him.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
Again. You don't have to "load the box" to key on the run.
Generally speaking, when the defense doesn't bring an extra defender into the box, that's telling you they don't feel that they need such an advantage in order to stop the run, or that they can't afford to be at such a disadvantage against the pass.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
Generally speaking, when the defense doesn't bring an extra defender into the box, that's telling you they don't feel that they need such an advantage in order to stop the run, or that they can't afford to be at such a disadvantage against the pass.

You do realize that a defensive line plays differently to stop the run vs. the pass, right? And LBs will hold their ground or take their first step towards the line of scrimmage.

"Keying" on the run, like Zimmer has said they did (so I don't know why the hell we're arguing this) and selling out to stop the run are dramatically different.

leeblair

Reaction score

Go ahead.

Okay. Zimmer was determined to stop the run and make the Cowboys one dimensional. Regardless of how many were in the box, the defense was geared to stop the run.
Where Zimmer messed up was in not double teaming Cooper. He was apparently willing to take that risk in order to stop the run.
Dak almost made him pay.
You apparently don't understand the concept of using multiple looks to accomplish the same result.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Go ahead.

The #men in the box numbers don't mean much unless it corresponds with the offensive alignment.

The traditional 8 vs 7 men in the box is based on 2 TE or a TE / FB set.

When the offense is 3 WRs, it more a question of 6 vs 7 men in the box.

If the TE is split out, then it's more 5 vs 6 men in the box.

The Cowboys are running primarily 3 WR sets but they often have the TE split out.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
The hell are you talking about? I've said numerous times how well Dak played.

You're responding to one of the many posts I've made in this thread and drawing conclusions that aren't there.

Dak played fantastic. DAK PLAYED FANTASTIC. DAK. PLAYED. FANTASTIC. You get that? That clear enough for you? You need pictures?

The fact that Dak played fantastic has nothing to do with the Vikings keying the run. No, keying the run doesn't mean you load the box on third and long. That's pretty obviously and just an obnoxiously idiotic assumption to place on me.

Read. READ. Read what people write before you go off on some completely misguided tangent. JFC

Fair enough, I take back the Dak part.

Zeke issue stands.