News: Zeke Won't Return without Deal

Tussinman

Reaction score
My point about the 4-year contract with 5th year option for 1st round picks is if you're a running back (relevant to our situation) then you get locked down at the "rookie" rate for much, if not all, of your prime. The second contract only exists for the very best and even then you have the franchise tag conundrum. It brings more understanding to Zeke's situation. If he just plays out the rookie deal and then gets franchised once or twice then he doesn't make the same amount as he would if he can sign a long-term deal after year 3. And let's be honest, his price tag isn't going up if he waits to negotiate after year 4 like it might if he were a QB or a WR or almost any other position. He's already at the top of the market from a production perspective. And with Gurley and Bell signed and Kamara and McCaffrey a year behind him, he won't get any more outside help from the market for at least the next year, maybe two. By then it will be harder for him to justify that type of deal because he has more wear and tear. And there's always the risk of injury.

He has more to lose than gain financially by playing on his rookie deal in year 4. Especially since he's only due $3.8 million this year.

It may not matter, he may either get the deal done (in which case his tactic worked) or play anyway once the season starts, which I kind of expect but have no inside info on. But even if he sits out, he's in a much different situation than Bell was.
The problem is in Zeke's case being "locked into a top 5 pick contract" money wise is still top of the pay-scale for his position.

He gets a career ending injury this year he will make 34 million dollars to only play 2 full NFL seasons. Le'veon played half a decade + sat out a full season and still barely got the amount of guaranteed money Zeke got 3 years ago........

If anything running-back is the best position to get a fully guaranteed top 5 rookie deal (you get automatic top 5 contract from your position day 1, that's not the case with any other position). Look at Barkley getting over 30 million fully guaranteed before ever having an NFL practice, for RB that's incredible

GhostOfPelluer

Reaction score
The problem is in Zeke's case being "locked into a top 5 pick contract" money wise is still top of the pay-scale for his position.

He gets a career ending injury this year he will make 34 million dollars to only play 2 full NFL seasons. Le'veon played half a decade + sat out a full season and still barely got the amount of guaranteed money Zeke got 3 years ago........

If anything running-back is the best position to get a fully guaranteed top 5 rookie deal (you get automatic top 5 contract from your position day 1, that's not the case with any other position). Look at Barkley getting over 30 million fully guaranteed before ever having an NFL practice, for RB that's incredible
If someone is worthy of a top 5 pick and worthy of a market setting second contract, who are you or I to say that they shouldn't have that opportunity?

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
My point about the 4-year contract with 5th year option for 1st round picks is if you're a running back (relevant to our situation) then you get locked down at the "rookie" rate for much, if not all, of your prime. The second contract only exists for the very best and even then you have the franchise tag conundrum. It brings more understanding to Zeke's situation. If he just plays out the rookie deal and then gets franchised once or twice then he doesn't make the same amount as he would if he can sign a long-term deal after year 3. And let's be honest, his price tag isn't going up if he waits to negotiate after year 4 like it might if he were a QB or a WR or almost any other position. He's already at the top of the market from a production perspective. And with Gurley and Bell signed and Kamara and McCaffrey a year behind him, he won't get any more outside help from the market for at least the next year, maybe two. By then it will be harder for him to justify that type of deal because he has more wear and tear. And there's always the risk of injury.

He has more to lose than gain financially by playing on his rookie deal in year 4. Especially since he's only due $3.8 million this year.

It may not matter, he may either get the deal done (in which case his tactic worked) or play anyway once the season starts, which I kind of expect but have no inside info on. But even if he sits out, he's in a much different situation than Bell was.

He actually has nothing at all to lose. Jerry made sure of that when he guaranteed his money up front. If he got injured, he still got paid. Jerry picked up his 5th year option and the minute he did that, he got that money too. Jerry has already offered him a contract among the very best at his position so it's not as if he was ever playing for just the 3.8, he simply got paid for a large part of his salary in 2019 before he ever stepped foot on the field. That's really the truth of this whole thing and a quick sign of the pen could ensure that the salary of 3.8 would change overnite if that were really the concern.

I gotta be honest here, to me, Zeke has no real leg to stand on. This is why I say that Jerry has gone out of his way to take care of this kid. He's been more then fair. I don't understand the backlash from the fan base on this. This kid does not deserve what Jerry has already offered and yet, fans still blame Jerry and rail at other fans who look at this and point out all that Jerry has done. Jerry had to do none of this. Jerry could have simply done nothing, waited Zeke out and then tagged him for two years and moved on. Would have saved him a boat load of money too. Instead, he does a hell of a lot more for this kid then I would have ever done and the fans turn on him, for what?

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
If someone is worthy of a top 5 pick and worthy of a market setting second contract, who are you or I to say that they shouldn't have that opportunity?

You or I or whomever else is not. The NFL, the CBA and the actual owners are. I mean, you do realize of course, that the point you try and make actually applies more to Dak then it does Zeke right?

GhostOfPelluer

Reaction score
You or I or whomever else is not. The NFL, the CBA and the actual owners are. I mean, you do realize of course, that the point you try and make actually applies more to Dak then it does Zeke right?
It applies to anybody and everybody who has the ability. And Dak wasn't a top 5 pick.

He actually has nothing at all to lose. Jerry made sure of that when he guaranteed his money up front. If he got injured, he still got paid. Jerry picked up his 5th year option and the minute he did that, he got that money too. Jerry has already offered him a contract among the very best at his position so it's not as if he was ever playing for just the 3.8, he simply got paid for a large part of his salary in 2019 before he ever stepped foot on the field. That's really the truth of this whole thing and a quick sign of the pen could ensure that the salary of 3.8 would change overnite if that were really the concern.

I gotta be honest here, to me, Zeke has no real leg to stand on. This is why I say that Jerry has gone out of his way to take care of this kid. He's been more then fair. I don't understand the backlash from the fan base on this. This kid does not deserve what Jerry has already offered and yet, fans still blame Jerry and rail at other fans who look at this and point out all that Jerry has done. Jerry had to do none of this. Jerry could have simply done nothing, waited Zeke out and then tagged him for two years and moved on. Would have saved him a boat load of money too. Instead, he does a hell of a lot more for this kid then I would have ever done and the fans turn on him, for what?

He has nothing to lose - except future earning potential that an injury or down year would definitely impact. You're talking current earnings, I'm talking current and future earnings. The hold out isn't about his salary this year and next, it's about his second contract.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
trade him... wish we learn to trade people while they are worth something and get a good deal on them.

The only way I trade Zeke is for multiple picks. Maybe a 1st and a 4th in 2020 followed by a 2nd in 2021.

Bohuntr97

Reaction score
Call it what you want but the facts remain. You can't change the CBA and you can't go against it so you can call it lazy or whatever you like, end of day you gotta live with it, like it or not. All the excuses in the world won't change it. It is what it is.

And for the record, teams and players have options in terms of contracts. Teams have option years and so too can players, if they negotiate them.

Exactly what Nick Foles just did. He was set to make $20 mill from Philly but opted out of it for the chance of being a starter.

Sydla

Reaction score
And now Stephen says he hasn't talked to the Elliott camp much.

The Cowboys appear to have dug in and I am totally fine with that.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Well, it looks to me like our FO and Zeke are just posturing.:thumbup:

I'll remain hopeful they'll strike a deal well before game one! :flagwave:

Last edited:

Sydla

Reaction score
Again, some of you completely overvalue Elliott's worth in a trade.

Not because Elliott isn't a really good player. But because some of you fail to look around and see that there is large majority of teams that simply don't think the value is tehre in a TB........... especially one that if you gave up a first round pick for would then have to hand $60MM over to get him to play.

You probably could get a 2nd rounder and some change for him, in all reality.