News: Zeke Won't Return without Deal

DCBoysfan

Hardwork and Dedication
Reaction score
Not sure why it's difficult for you to understand that, Zeke agent wasn't sitting around with no parameters and heard SJ say, "Probably" starts at Gurley and says " cool, we have our parameters ". If SJ says nothing, the agent is coming in above Gurley. If SJ says it starts at bell, the agent is coming in above Gurley. Everyone, except maybe you, knew where the agent was going to come in at. Again, he needs to shut up, but him talking has nothing to do with this stalemate. They had 2 with Dlaw, they had one with Martin, they have 2 in camp right now in Dak and Cooper. Agents come in high, team comes in low. It's been going on 100 years in the NFL.

During a negotiation process, regardless of where the agent wants to come in at, you don't take a needless position. Sure the agent comes in high, and guess what now the agent also knows that SJ agrees with him. Now SJ and JJ want to use the Bell contract as the starting point. Nope too late the toothpaste is out of the bottle and why is that because it was stated in public.

During the Dlaw or the Zack negotiations, SJ didn't publicly state where Dallas's initial starting negotiations would begin, because it put's them at a point of weakness not strength. If SJ needs to shut up as YOU have stated above, why make the statement? You talking in circles.

GhostOfPelluer

Reaction score
No, he got paid. He got paid 587k or whatever it was he was owed and then got cut. There is no, "Both Ways" here. He can actually go out and try and make another team, with his money in his pocket. I mean, there is no comparison here. You are completely wrong on this example.
He signed a 3-year contract in 2017. He was paid for TWO of those years. The third year he won't be compensated for because he was cut - despite having a contract through this season. This happens all the time and fans just shrug. But when a player wants to make waves while under contract, he isn't honoring the contract.

Little Jr

Reaction score
During a negotiation process, regardless of where the agent wants to come in at, you don't take a needless position. Sure the agent comes in high, and guess what now the agent also knows that SJ agrees with him. Now SJ and JJ want to use the Bell contract as the starting point. Nope too late the toothpaste is out of the bottle and why is that because it was stated in public.

During the Dlaw or the Zack negotiations, SJ didn't publicly state where Dallas's initial starting negotiations would begin, because it put's them at a point of weakness not strength. If SJ needs to shut up as YOU have stated above, why make the statement? You talking in circles.
Again, "Probably " starts at Gurley money didn't mean that they, the FO, was starting at Gurley money. He knew what the agents were going to want. Everyone knew, or should've known, where the agent was going to start. It amazes me that people ACTUALLY think that him saying "Probably " starts at Gurley money gave the agent his parameters. Like his parameters were below Gurley money before that. FO know where about the agents are going to come in at by other contracts, where the specific agent has came in at on others at the same position and if they have dealt with the agent before, They know how he works and what he's "Probably" going to come in at. The same thing for the agents. They know how teams work and how and what they pay. Especially if the have dealt with that team in the past.

You're right, he didn't say anything pubically about Dlaw and Martin and there was still a stalemate and thats my point. Hell, 2 stalemates with Dlaw without him saying anything. Stalemate with Dak and Cooper, Again, without saying anything. So now his words is the cause of the stalemate with Zeke? I do want him to stop talking, but it has no affect on this stalemate. There are plenty of examples of his words affecting stuff and I'm more than happy to jump on that train, but this isn't one of them.

There are 3 major factors in this stalemate. 1. They have Cooper and Dak in their last year of there contract and one HAS to get done or in all probability we'll lose one. 2. The rb market and how teams, specifically the cowboys, feel about that and the value they put into that position. 3. Zeke has 2 years left on his deal and he wasn't the propriety this year, as he shouldn't have been.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
it wasn’t. It was in response to stasheroo. And I don’t think that Le’Veon wanted to be with the Steelers any longer much like AB. They’re cheap and seem to only value Ben

Gotcha. I agree with you on Bell. I mean, I think he was stupid to not accept the Franchise tag and make himself 14 mil for the season, as opposed to just sitting but regardless, he did what he did. But that's just a further illustration of the fact that Jerry and the Cowboys are a much better organization to play for if you are player, in terms of things like getting paid.

JMO

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Seriously? :muttley:

The Dallas Cowboys have released pass rusher DeMarcus Ware. Ware was set to make $12.25 million in 2014, and the move will help save salary cap space for the strapped Cowboys (more than $7 million in 2014).

DeMarcus Ware released by Dallas Cowboys

Wow. Yeah, seriously.

Reading is fundamental. The Cowboys did not break the terms of the contract with Ware. His deal was written in such a way as to allow for this. Cowboys paid him everything they owed him, according to the terms of the contract and then gave him his release, which he then turned around and turned into 13 mil more for signing with the Broncos the same season he got released. I mean, come on guys. Teams can not renege on deals. In bold letters here, IT CAN'T BE DONE.

Praxit

Reaction score
Your issue is with the NFL then, and how running backs are paid. Take it up with them.

Running back committees are winning Super Bowls, not workhorse backs.
....Zeke stuck with 90's mentality. ...bwahahaha...

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
He signed a 3-year contract in 2017. He was paid for TWO of those years. The third year he won't be compensated for because he was cut - despite having a contract through this season. This happens all the time and fans just shrug. But when a player wants to make waves while under contract, he isn't honoring the contract.

No. None of this is true. He got paid everything he was entitled to, according to the terms of his contract. I mean, I don't know how many other ways I can say this. Teams can not simply walk away from a contract. There are ramifications around things like that. The League does not allow teams to do that, neither does the players union or the CBA. Come on, at some point, reality has to check in here.

You sign to play for x amount of money against a contract. Of that contract, x amount is guaranteed and the rest is either incentive or team or player option basically. If a team releases a player early, every cent that is guaranteed to a player is paid, end of story. There is no not paying a player what he is owed if it is agreed to in a contract. Do players get cut early? Of course they do. Do players not get paid what their contract states they are owed? Nope, never happens. Players get paid what they are owed, regardless of if they are on the team or not. This is not a back and forth, this is not an argument. This is how it works, these are the facts of the matter. If you have proof that this is not the true, then show it.

GhostOfPelluer

Reaction score
No. None of this is true. He got paid everything he was entitled to, according to the terms of his contract. I mean, I don't know how many other ways I can say this. Teams can not simply walk away from a contract. There are ramifications around things like that. The League does not allow teams to do that, neither does the players union or the CBA. Come on, at some point, reality has to check in here.

You sign to play for x amount of money against a contract. Of that contract, x amount is guaranteed and the rest is either incentive or team or player option basically. If a team releases a player early, every cent that is guaranteed to a player is paid, end of story. There is no not paying a player what he is owed if it is agreed to in a contract. Do players get cut early? Of course they do. Do players not get paid what their contract states they are owed? Nope, never happens. Players get paid what they are owed, regardless of if they are on the team or not. This is not a back and forth, this is not an argument. This is how it works, these are the facts of the matter. If you have proof that this is not the true, then show it.
I understand everything you are saying, but that doesn't change the fact that if a player signs a 3-year contract, the team can cut them at any time and only have to pay the guaranteed portion (or what was earned to that point). If a player wants to leave after year 2 of a 3-year contract they are not allowed to do so unless the team agrees. The only recourse a player has is not playing (holding out).

Bob-Lillys-War

Reaction score
Zeke probably has no faith in Garrett , because the carrott is a career killer . Players know they come to Dallas to earn money, NOT TO WIN IN THE POST SEASON .

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I understand everything you are saying, but that doesn't change the fact that if a player signs a 3-year contract, the team can cut them at any time and only have to pay the guaranteed portion (or what was earned to that point). If a player wants to leave after year 2 of a 3-year contract they are not allowed to do so unless the team agrees. The only recourse a player has is not playing (holding out).

Players and agents don't have to sign contracts with terms they can't live with. If a player doesn't like the terms offered, they don't have to sign. However, once a contract is signed, teams don't renege on what they signed on to. That doesn't happen. Teams may cut players but if that player is owed money, that player gets money, no exceptions. However, if a player holds out after having been paid their money, that's a different story and that does happen. Now, teams can fine players, to a point, and they can go after things like signing bonus etc. but they don't always do that because the optics don't look good, precisely because of fans just like you. You see this as a one way street where teams just cut players early and so on. That's just not how it works. I mean, you act as if this is the fault of Jerry and the Cowboys. None of this is the fault of Jerry, in terms of what Zeke is getting paid. The Players Union and the CBA dictate what Zeke makes, according to what was agreed upon in the CBA. The structure of the contract is different from player to player and that is negotiated between the team and the player but nothing else. Zeke got his money up front. What he was slotted to make, he got. What's more, he got it early and almost all guaranteed. Jerry did not try and back door Zeke. Now Zeke is playing for 3 mil plus for this season, which is how his people wanted it. They wanted to be paid up front so naturally, if you have a pie and if you eat 90% of that pie in the first few days, then yeah, on the 4th day, the slice you have left is going to be much smaller then what you started out with.

I hate all of these posters who say, "Pay The Man". Guess what, the man has already been paid. What do you do when you run out of pie? You go out and you go get more pie, yes? Well, that's exactly what has happened with the Cowboys picking up his 5th year option. That's also what should be happening, in terms of a new deal after the 5th year but guess what, you are not the only one who loves pie. Other people also LOVE pie. So the pies that get baked on any given day, sometimes get eaten by other people because hey, why shouldn't everybody be able to enjoy pie right? That's where Zeke is at right now. Zeke doesn't care about the other people who also want pie, IMO. Zeke wants his pie and who cares about the rest. Well, there are only so many ovens so you can only cook so many pies. Zeke has pie left to eat and he could just eat what he has and be patient with the baker. But that's not what's happening. Zeke wants his pie and so, the baker will be forced to give him what he can spare. The result might very well be that instead of getting the Chocolate Silk pie that Zeke really, really likes, he might end up getting the custard pie. The custard pie is also very good but it's not Zeke's favorite. But if you are demanding the pie now, then you will have to settle for what the baker can offer at this time and place and it's likely that it won't be as good or as much as it might be if you could just be patient and give the baker more time to bake.

I mean, if we've heard it once, we've heard it a hundred times, it's all baked in right? That's how the cap works. Zeke needs to be patient but if he can't be patient then he has to realize that he can only get what is left. Dak and Coop are the priorities because their contracts are up sooner. Cowboys can't wait on those two. They have to get a deal done sooner, rather then later and as we all know, players love pie.

GhostOfPelluer

Reaction score
Players and agents don't have to sign contracts with terms they can't live with. If a player doesn't like the terms offered, they don't have to sign. However, once a contract is signed, teams don't renege on what they signed on to. That doesn't happen. Teams may cut players but if that player is owed money, that player gets money, no exceptions. However, if a player holds out after having been paid their money, that's a different story and that does happen. Now, teams can fine players, to a point, and they can go after things like signing bonus etc. but they don't always do that because the optics don't look good, precisely because of fans just like you. You see this as a one way street where teams just cut players early and so on. That's just not how it works. I mean, you act as if this is the fault of Jerry and the Cowboys. None of this is the fault of Jerry, in terms of what Zeke is getting paid. The Players Union and the CBA dictate what Zeke makes, according to what was agreed upon in the CBA. The structure of the contract is different from player to player and that is negotiated between the team and the player but nothing else. Zeke got his money up front. What he was slotted to make, he got. What's more, he got it early and almost all guaranteed. Jerry did not try and back door Zeke. Now Zeke is playing for 3 mil plus for this season, which is how his people wanted it. They wanted to be paid up front so naturally, if you have a pie and if you eat 90% of that pie in the first few days, then yeah, on the 4th day, the slice you have left is going to be much smaller then what you started out with.

I hate all of these posters who say, "Pay The Man". Guess what, the man has already been paid. What do you do when you run out of pie? You go out and you go get more pie, yes? Well, that's exactly what has happened with the Cowboys picking up his 5th year option. That's also what should be happening, in terms of a new deal after the 5th year but guess what, you are not the only one who loves pie. Other people also LOVE pie. So the pies that get backed on any given day, sometimes get eaten by other people because hey, why shouldn't everybody be able to enjoy pie right? That's where Zeke is at right now. Zeke doesn't care about the other people who also want pie, IMO. Zeke wants his pie and who cares about the rest. Well, there are only so many ovens so you can only cook so many pies. Zeke has pie left to eat and he could just eat what he has and be patient with the baker. But that's not what's happening. Zeke wants his pie and so, the baker will be forced to give him what he can spare. The result might very well be that instead of getting the Chocolate Silk pie that Zeke really, really likes, he might end up getting the custard pie. The custard pie is also very good but it's not Zeke's favorite. But if you are demanding the pie now, then you will have to settle for what the baker can offer at this time and place and it's likely that it won't be as good or as much as it might be if you could just be patient and give the baker more time to bake.

I mean, if we've heard it once, we've heard it a hundred times, it's all baked in right? That's how the cap works. Zeke needs to be patient but if he can't be patient then he has to realize that he can only get what is left. Dak and Coop are the priorities because their contracts are up sooner. Cowboys can't wait on those two. They have to get a deal done sooner, rather then later and as we all know, players love pie.
I'm sure if I really wanted to I could break down your analogy and try to follow along. But frankly now I'm just hungry for pie.

BTW, I don't blame Jerry or the owners, hell they've got a sweet system that works to their advantage. But I don't blame players for using whatever limited means they might have to earn to their maximum potential. I know how the CBA works, and I know how slanted it is in favor of the owners and that will never change in this sport because players collectively have too short of an earning window to waste a season trying to improve their lots. It's quite the racket owners have going.