News: Zeke Won't Return without Deal

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If he sits out the whole year you're probably right. I still think some kind of deal gets done.

I think so too. In my opinion, there's no way they could trade him for equal value even if they wanted to. And he knows he'll never find a better situation either. They're stuck with one another.

CWR

Reaction score
I’d get him and Ajayi.

Go into the season carrying four backs. Those two and Morris and Pollard. Covered.

Then let Zeke worry about where else he can play.

Yes, then we can look to flip Zeke for a first. I hate to agree, but if we've already offered him Gurley money and he wont report, then its time to move forward.

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
lol looks like greed is going to be the demise of this season I wondered what it would be this team will be lucky to win 5 or 6 games they had couple of chances to win a superbowl before all this started but they spit the bit free agency is by its design is to tear good teams apart you cannot pay them all of them

jnday

Reaction score
This is such a terrible take.

One, when people said running back by committee it still means having a few fairly talented guys. No one has ever suggested signing you and two of your friends to be our running backs.

But yes, I think if the Cowboys got pissed at Elliott and decided they want a Duke Johnson or Ajayi, they could cobble together a pretty decent run game (assuming this OL is healthy) with some combination of Ajayi, Morris, Johnson, Weber and then Pollard as a third down/scat back.

My proof is that everyone said McFadden sucked and yet he ran for 1000 yards in a season where we had zero QB play.
The 1000 yards that McFadden ran for was some of the least impactful yards in the team’s history. A lot of those yards came late in the games when opposing defenses was letting the time run out. The running game was not a threat at all that year.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It might also tell them that hey, their QB might not be worth a big contract either if they can't survive that start of the season without Elliott.

In a bizarre way, Elliott being out might help them in the sense that if Prescott starts off the season without Elliott and plays really well, you now have more confidence in the type of QB he is. If he struggles, it should scare people into realizing that maybe Prescott is just that......... a product of Elliott.

That's very true. It would tell you a whole lot about your current team, both good and bad.

But again, I'm making contingency plans to cover myself for this. And by plans, I mean "better than Alfred Morris" plans.

Verdict

Reaction score
Grab Ajayi with an incentive laden deal. If Zeke isn't going to be here at least try and get some depth back there so we have options. Throw Weber on the PS and when Ajayi gets hurt bring him back up to play behind Morris. Pollard stays as the scat back/Dunbar guy.

I get a feeling Zeke is getting some bad advice from people in his corner who want to make a quick buck, or really good advice because they know he is a threat to himself during the offseason.

We have a lot of options. I don’t think Morris is a valid option. I would go with rookies rather than Morris.

Verdict

Reaction score
That's very true. It would tell you a whole lot about your current team, both good and bad.

But again, I'm making contingency plans to cover myself for this. And by plans, I mean "better than Alfred Morris" plans.

Morris is done.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The 1000 yards that McFadden ran for was some of the least impactful yards in the team’s history. A lot of those yards came late in the games when opposing defenses was letting the time run out. The running game was not s threat at all that year.

You should look up the yards per attempt numbers to find out otherwise. Both McFadden and that idiot Joseph Randle had very good numbers. All despite the fact that the team had no quarterback nor passing game to speak of. You'll find it quite enlightening.

Sydla

Reaction score
Yes, then we can look to flip Zeke for a first. I hate to agree, but if we've already offered him Gurley money and he wont report, then its time to move forward.

You can look but I doubt you'd find anyone willing to give you a first round pick and then have to hand Zeke a massive TB contract. There aren't that many teams willing to invest that much in a TB IMO.

Sydla

Reaction score
The 1000 yards that McFadden ran for was some of the least impactful yards in the team’s history. A lot of those yards came late in the games when opposing defenses was letting the time run out. The running game was not s threat at all that year.

Least impactful because they got zero QB play. Put it another way................ that season turns out much differently if Romo is healthy. McFadden was more than effective enough running the ball if they had even decent QB play that year.

Outlaw Heroes

Reaction score
Someone should remind Mike Fisher that he needs to write at length about how he was wrong about the August 6 deadline, as promised.

Proof

Reaction score
Because we should root for the laundry and not the players? The man shouldn't be able to maximize his earnings? It's no secret RB lifespans are short and the more you play the less future value you have - especially at that position.

Yeah I get the economics and in theory I agree. The timing and mechanics are terrible though. I'd encourage and support a league-wide strike before a guy with 2 years remaining and a ton of baggage holding his team hostage.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

If only!

I personally don't think you could find another GM that would do it.

Not with having to then pay him a boatload of money, and then having to worry about his next off-field adventure.

I can't see a GM willing to risk his career on that.

Outlaw Heroes

Reaction score
The 1000 yards that McFadden ran for was some of the least impactful yards in the team’s history. A lot of those yards came late in the games when opposing defenses was letting the time run out. The running game was not a threat at all that year.

In what universe does a team rack up big yardage on the ground when it is trailing and the opposition is just trying to let the clock run out?

blueblood70

Reaction score
And maybe that’s why it’s an offense that doesn’t win Super Bowls like the committee backs do?
they have better coaches, Better qbs, better GMs, and had better teams.. cant compare OUR TEAM NEEDS A ZEKE AT THIS POINT..until we dont well the QB better get MUCH better and coaching better improve 100Xs..WE OUR TEAM..its happenstance that of late no team with an elite RB hasn't won the SB..but im pretty sure Marshan Lynch was not scrub for the seahawks and if they would have ran him at the end of that one SB, they would have won2 SBs B2B :) id say using a great RB has won SBs but none over paid have done so, how many of the SB winners of late has the QBs making over 30 per won a, did they even have one make the playoffs last year? whats your point? I mean Zeke happens to be elite and wants a new contract but the cost of keeping him will not hold us back, thats a myth.. overpaying for a QB just might..you need a n elite skilled player or two on both sides of the ball , we have some on the oline and Zeke maybe Amari in time but at this point IMO Zekes the bets player on the offense and maybe the team..we did it with Emmitt and Denver did it with TD..its been a throwing league for sometime now and that has been up until the RBs are being picked high again, SB, ZEKE, Fournette, Gurley and Bell etc they are going to change that if their teams are good enough to make it..

thats the real problem with the arguments great RBs are on SB teams just using the stat about the rushing champion is ridiculous they just happen to have not been needed to rush that much to get those titles but they were important, so Zeke being paid has nothing to do with how important he is to this team and it shouldnt..Im pretty sure Lynch counts, Bettis counts, was Barber on the NYG teams was she a scrub? you think Lagertte blount(2 SB teams right) and Sproles was a scrub? I mean Anderson showed he was pretty good maybe better then some though and he was on Denvers and Rams SB teams? NE using pretty good back now, you cant use how much they are paid to say they weren't big part of of their teams. I mean if I want to go back ill find that many SB teams had great RBs.. thats the real issue you cant find great RBs on rookie contracts just anywhere, you get lucky to have them under low contracts but that does NOT mean they arent great just because of their payscale..

so Dak and AMari deserve more then zeke and want top 5 money and Zeke does not? crazy hes the only guy on this list that has earned it straight up.crazy pay people more that dont deserve it but the one that does, let him go...:rolleyes:o_O

jnday

Reaction score
You should look up the yards per attempt numbers to find out otherwise. Both McFadden and that idiot Joseph Randle had very good numbers. All despite the fact that the team had no quarterback nor passing game to speak of. You'll find it quite enlightening.
As I said, the defenses was allowing the running yards to pile up because they was running time out. That tends to make the YPA look good. That was a bad year for the entire offense, or I should say lack of offense.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
they have better coaches, Better qbs, better GMs, and had better teams.. cant compare OUR TEAM NEEDS A ZEKE AT THIS POINT..until we dont well the QB better get MUCH better and coaching better improve 100Xs..WE OUR TEAM..its happenstance that of late no team with an elite RB hasn't won the SB..but im pretty sure Marshan Lynch was not scrub for the seahawks and if they would have ran him at the end of that one SB, they would have won2 SBs B2B :) id say using a great RB has won SBs but none over paid have done so, how many of the SB winners of late has the QBs making over 30 per won a, did they even have one make the playoffs last year? whats your point? I mean Zeke happens to be elite and wants a new contract but the cost of keeping him will not hold us back, thats a myth.. overpaying for a QB just might..you need a n elite skilled player or two on both sides of the ball , we have some on the oline and Zeke maybe Amari in time but at this point IMO Zekes the bets player on the offense and maybe the team..we did it with Emmitt and Denver did it with TD..its been a throwing league for sometime now and that has been up until the RBs are being picked high again, SB, ZEKE, Fournette, Gurley and Bell etc they are going to change that if their teams are good enough to make it..

thats the real problem with the arguments great RBs are on SB teams just using the stat about the rushing champion is ridiculous they just happen to have not been needed to rush that much to get those titles but they were important, so Zeke being paid has nothing to do with how important he is to this team and it shouldnt..Im pretty sure Lynch counts, Bettis counts, was Barber on the NYG teams was she a scrub? you think Lagertte blount(2 SB teams right) and Sproles was a scrub? I mean Anderson showed he was pretty good maybe better then some though and he was on Denvers and Rams SB teams? NE using pretty good back now, you cant use how much they are paid to say they weren't big part of of their teams. I mean if I want to go back ill find that many SB teams had great RBs.. thats the real issue you cant find great RBs on rookie contracts just anywhere, you get lucky to have them under low contracts but that does NOT mean they arent great just because of their payscale..

so Dak and AMari deserve more then zeke and want top 5 money and Zeke does not? crazy hes the only guy on this list that has earned it straight up.crazy pay people more that dont deserve it but the one that does, let him go...:rolleyes:o_O

Your issue is with the NFL then, and how running backs are paid. Take it up with them.

Running back committees are winning Super Bowls, not workhorse backs.