Zeke worth the money or could Pollard tow the line?

blueblood70

Reaction score
Zeke is a top 5 RB in the league and most would agree.

The key is how much do you actually pay a top 5 RB - and that's where the problem lies. It's a position where guys like Henry, Chubb and Carson are leading the league yet being paid a pittance.

I'm just not a huge fan of paying a premium for a position where good blocking and scheme can make marginal talent look like Pro Bowlers.
they will have their hand out soon, all of them..its a given , Henry, chubb, SB, and Mcafrey will be having serious contract talks and will want bigger money..it happens..

btw these are useless and pointless threads..he got paid and he didnt not cause the Cowboys to be 8-8 the last 6 games Zeke was himself, Dak and others not so much..

Loso86

Reaction score
Honestly I think Zeke is decent RB but not Franchise RB. Pollard generally got more yards than Zeke after initial blocking scheme completed. I think this past year, Pollard could have actually won us a few more games with his vision and speed where Zeke can plow more short yards at the line when needed. Since we have both, we shoulda fed Pollard more when needing more than 4 yards.

The CAP money used on Zeke could have been better spent elsewhere.
What lol

InTheZone

Reaction score
Zeke's potential can be met if the passing game resembled any threat. How many times do we see in a year a capable defense just playing the run more often than not in a passing league?

blueblood70

Reaction score
Who were you blaming when Zeke fumbled this season?
2 fumbles in 300 carries? one wasn't fumble in NO so thats what 2..id say thats pretty good..Pollard hardly touches the ball and missed a game due to injury and fumbled in a very critical moment..the point was zekes takes a play off and Pollard fumbles all they talk about is why was zeke out and blame him but most cried for more carried by Pollard..stupid..yes it happens to all players , they fumble.. Henry has 5 Carson 6 Lamr Jacson 8..

lets keep this in perspective.. Zekes better and IMO not a mistake resigning him, if he was utilized even a slightly more theis year he finishes top 2..if thats a bad year, ill take it..

blueblood70

Reaction score
They also stopped running it in those 8 losses
yup and 5 of those he was running through the offenses in the first halves for nearly 6YPC.. his small slip this year was on the OC and the defense and ST creating us being down early and not sticking with our best player..not just running but in the pass game..

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
To me, this discussion isn't worth having. Money is spent and there is nothing you can do about it now. I would never have paid Zeke the money we did, I'm on record but, so what....... It's done, this is the deal so gotta live with it.

superonyx

Reaction score
Zeke is a top 5 RB in the league and most would agree.

The key is how much do you actually pay a top 5 RB - and that's where the problem lies. It's a position where guys like Henry, Chubb and Carson are leading the league yet being paid a pittance.

I'm just not a huge fan of paying a premium for a position where good blocking and scheme can make marginal talent look like Pro Bowlers.
I'm not sure anyone would consider Zeke marginal talent. (I know thats not exactly what you said).
In the NFL many schemes make players look better or worse than they are.
Would Jerry Rice have been the Jerry Rice we know if he went to a non west coast offense team and instead went to the Browns?
A pressure defensive scheme can make a marginal CB look like a ball hawk. A creative blitz heavy team can cause a marginal DE to put up double digit sacks.
A non innovative offense can make any WR disappear when he is doubled into becoming a decoy.

This doesnt just apply to 1 position. Look at the QB's for Andy Reid or Peterson. They all look like all pro's. ex. Nick Foles and Alex Smith.

Zeke just had over 1300 yards and 4.5 ypc and 50 catches. Thats a large enough piece of the offense to deserve to be paid as much as your center, lg, rt or wr.

shabazz

Reaction score
Love me some Zeke, but if some team wants to pony up a trade package we should be all ears

Lutonio

Reaction score
There is a big difference between Elliott and Pollard. That being said, no running is worth that money. Ever.

Perfect example is the fact that they had a full healthy year with no suspensions from Elliott, and now they're going to be watching the playoffs and searching for a new coach. You can't ignore the position, but you don't want to prioritize it.

Swanny

Reaction score
Honestly I think Zeke is decent RB but not Franchise RB. Pollard generally got more yards than Zeke after initial blocking scheme completed. I think this past year, Pollard could have actually won us a few more games with his vision and speed where Zeke can plow more short yards at the line when needed. Since we have both, we shoulda fed Pollard more when needing more than 4 yards.

I was very against the signing. But when his new contract kicks in the new CBA will be out and player contracts will explode. His contract will be about avg in a free seasons... I'm fine with it now.

Loso86

Reaction score
yup and 5 of those he was running through the offenses in the first halves for nearly 6YPC.. his small slip this year was on the OC and the defense and ST creating us being down early and not sticking with our best player..not just running but in the pass game..
Exactly he will get alot of blame because he got paid...period lol. But most smart people will realize at some point teams will look to take the BEST player out of the game

DuncanIso

Reaction score

Didnt you watch the philly game?

#ZekeHate

aikemirv

Reaction score

I love Zeke, the player on the field. He is who this team should build it's offense around. He will be the best investment of the 3 if the others are signed. Pollard can't carry the load. 15 mill for Zeke is so much better investment than 12 mill for Jaylon - it's not even close. I really liked Jaylon until this year. He left a lot to be desired on the field and off of it!

aikemirv

Reaction score
It clearly wasn't worth it.

I think last year kinda proved that this offense goes as Amari Cooper goes.

When he isn't right the whole thing doesn't work very well.

We can get out of his contract in a few years though and we'll get Zeke for his best years.

The smart move would've been to invest draft picks into that position and not cap space.

2016 Zeke was worth paying.

Bulked up Zeke without the explosion is just not worth it.

Nope, the Rams game showed you how this offense should be run.