Zeke worth the money or could Pollard tow the line?

BoysForLife

Reaction score
pollard is more the Kamara type and I saw Kamara struggle early this year went like 8 games with no tds was getting banged around without Ingram towing the line and banging on defenders before he got his, they started using that other back a lot more and Kamara started playing better....Pollard is the same way and zeke down year had his 35 yards out of 3rd overall back this season when he was hardly used in the second half of games where zeke was averging 6YPC in the first halfs and they abandon him late, heck last game they came out first 3 series and forget Zeke even though he had 80 int eh first..offense went pass happy as well in the beginning games and others, Zeke did very well given all that IMO.

thats not his fault at all..hes our bell cow and pollard our change of pace.. maybe Pollard and zeke get utilized more in the pass game with the new staff, they'd be smart to get agreat plan for that instead of forgetting about it most games..

No sports star is worth their contract but it wasn't a mistake and no Pollard alone could not have handled 300 carries..sorry I dont see it..

SPOT ON

Cmac

Reaction score
If the Ewok didn’t fumble in New Orleans than the Pollard fumble wouldn’t have mattered because we would have had the division sealed up. The 90 million dollar diva set the precedent.
few-of-us-can-stand-prosperity-another-mans-i-mean-36f4e4b9cdba342e8a581f684ec27233.jpg

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Hey guys has everyone already forgotten about the 2015 season when we thought Joe Randle and D Mac would easily make us forget about Murray?

Pollard is a nice change of pace back

He is not a feature back.
Zeke averaged 4.5 ypc this year, was 4th in the league in rushing and had 12 td (rushing) and people are talking about him being overrated?

Guy has played 3 full seasons (suspended almost half of 2017) and on those 3 full seasons has finished 1st, 1st, and 4th in rushing yards

You really think you'll get that from Pollard?

Come on man
Why do people bring up 2015 as if it proves a point? It actually does the opposite. With these horrible RBs we were able to be a top 10 rushing team despite being 18th in the league in attempts and we had the 4th best rusher that year despite him not starting the entire year. And we had HORRIBLE QB play that year with virtually no #1 receiver because Dez was injured and/or hurt for all but 3 quarters of the first game. There was no other threat on the field to focus on but our RB behind our great OL.

2015 is the exact reason why Zeke should be blasted. If Randle and DMC could do what they did with a sorry Romo, Weeden, Cassel, and Moore with TWill as the #1 receiver most of the year, Zeke should be knocking it out of the park.

So what exactly is Zeke’s excuse? He is supposed the be this “generational” talent and he was worse in 2017 than Randle was in 2015.

Zeke needs to be better. He needs to be generational.

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
I mean Zeke finished 4th in rushing this year so you're saying Pollard would have finished 3rd or better if he was the lead guy all season? I don't think so, Tim. Pollard is a great complementary back and you can argue that he could have been used more but no way should he be the lead back.

This! Plus Zeke could have several more games over 100 yards if did not abandon the run after only being down 3 points.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
To me, this discussion isn't worth having. Money is spent and there is nothing you can do about it now. I would never have paid Zeke the money we did, I'm on record but, so what....... It's done, this is the deal so gotta live with it.

Exactly...………….like what is the point of discussing it now, its done. Same with Jaylon and D-law, money already spent.

The discussion should be is Dak and Amari worth what they are asking for.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Pollard is not a lead back. But he is an excellent change of pace guy. Coaches should change how much Pollard is used based on matchups and who is being more productive. In the games Zeke struggled they rarely gave pollard a chance to do anything.

Pollard could be the lead back if you go for a more wide open offense. Needs to be paired with a short yardage back.

But he's probably best as what we drafted him as, paired with Zeke as the "web back". I wish we had tried that more. Dak, Pollard, and Zeke all as multithreat running game, with Pollard as a matchup problem being able to go deep.

I like the base offense. Dak, Zeke, Pollard, Jarwin, Cooper, Gallup/Smith. I put Smith in there as better stretching the defense in the base, to back teams out of the box. Smith, Cooper, and Pollard all have speed to beat you deep, Jarwin can go deep down the seam. Dak and Pollard have to be accounted for in the run game, spreading the defense horizontally. Now Zeke between the tackles is running against a clearer box with smaller defenders to match up against team speed.

aria

Reaction score
We got it Aria....Zeke the 2019 Fall Guy and you're the front-runner of the Hate Club. Got It. Out of curiosity.....what's your take on Witten's year?
And I’ve seen you post 100 times that he’s the 2019 Fall Guy, someone has to keep you in check ;) I don’t think he would be such a fall guy if he didn’t pull that crap at the beginning of the season, I would have been less critical, just slightly less :)

Witten was my favorite Cowboy of all time. I was excited when he came back, thinking maybe they could make a run to the big dance and he would have a small part of that. As the season went on, I kind of wish he never came back. Between the losses and unfair criticism he got from fans, it would have been better if he left his legacy the way it was originally, coming back tarnished it a bit.

I think his year was ok, he was 8th overall in receptions, not too shabby considering his age. All these people saying that he was preventing other/better players from playing is crap. I’m sure the coaches would put in the player they thought gave them the best chance to win. Witten doesn’t set the roster or control the coaches. I would be upset if he demanded a bunch of money or we had some stud standing on the sideline (still coaches fault) but we didn’t and he came back on the league minimum IIRC. I wish him well but I hope he hangs up the cleats, unfortunately.

BoysForLife

Reaction score
Why do people bring up 2015 as if it proves a point? It actually does the opposite. With these horrible RBs we were able to be a top 10 rushing team despite being 18th in the league in attempts and we had the 4th best rusher that year despite him not starting the entire year. And we had HORRIBLE QB play that year with virtually no #1 receiver because Dez was injured and/or hurt for all but 3 quarters of the first game. There was no other threat on the field to focus on but our RB behind our great OL.

2015 is the exact reason why Zeke should be blasted. If Randle and DMC could do what they did with a sorry Romo, Weeden, Cassel, and Moore with TWill as the #1 receiver most of the year, Zeke should be knocking it out of the park.

So what exactly is Zeke’s excuse? He is supposed the be this “generational” talent and he was worse in 2017 than Randle was in 2015.

Zeke needs to be better. He needs to be generational.

Reasonable people can disagree but when you flat out state that Joe Randle as the starting back in 2015 was better than 2017 Zeke you lose literally all credibility.

Truly no offense meant but that's a bizarre statement. Randle averaged nearly half ypg in 2015 that Zeke did in 2017. Half

aria

Reaction score
I couldn’t care less what that mouth breather makes compared to me. I’m very happy with my job and position, I’ve turned down promotional opportunities year after year because I don’t care about prosperity, there are other things I value more in life. I’m sorry you don’t know me and that’s what you think, but the fact that’s what automatically jumps in your mind tells me more about you than it does me.

The only reason I bring up his salary is because I do care about the team and a) I find that to be an extreme waste of money for any RB and b) he demanded to be paid the highest, he chose that number not me, and that’s the standard I will hold him to which he has failed at.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
The key is how much do you actually pay a top 5 RB - and that's where the problem lies. It's a position where guys like Henry, Chubb and Carson are leading the league yet being paid a pittance.

Our other poor fit for spending big was DLaw. Whatever you think of him as a player, Marinelli rotates the dline so much our DEs are part timers. He only played 65% of the snaps. Can't pay 100% of elite money for a 65% role.

I expect that to change next year.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Reasonable people can disagree but when you flat out state that Joe Randle as the starting back in 2015 was better than 2017 Zeke you lose literally all credibility.

Truly no offense meant but that's a bizarre statement. Randle averaged nearly half ypg in 2015 that Zeke did in 2017. Half
How do I lose all credibility? Zeke was horrible in 2017. You just give him a pass because his name is Zeke and not Randle. They both sucked. Morris performed better than Zeke in 2017 and he faced more stacked boxes and he started in the 3 games Tyron missed.

Cmac

Reaction score
And I’ve seen you post 100 times that he’s the 2019 Fall Guy, someone has to keep you in check ;) I don’t think he would be such a fall guy if he didn’t pull that crap at the beginning of the season, I would have been less critical, just slightly less :)

Witten was my favorite Cowboy of all time. I was excited when he came back, thinking maybe they could make a run to the big dance and he would have a small part of that. As the season went on, I kind of wish he never came back. Between the losses and unfair criticism he got from fans, it would have been better if he left his legacy the way it was originally, coming back tarnished it a bit.

I think his year was ok, he was 8th overall in receptions, not too shabby considering his age. All these people saying that he was preventing other/better players from playing is crap. I’m sure the coaches would put in the player they thought gave them the best chance to win. Witten doesn’t set the roster or control the coaches. I would be upset if he demanded a bunch of money or we had some stud standing on the sideline (still coaches fault) but we didn’t and he came back on the league minimum IIRC. I wish him well but I hope he hangs up the cleats, unfortunately.

All good Aria......BTW.....did you remember Jason Witten fumbled in the very same New Orleans game? Personally, I think Zeke has gotten far more criticism than any player on the team this year. The play-calling has been dismissed, and the highlight was he caught more heat about Pollard's fumble against Philly, than Pollard did. Problem with the fan base, seems we latch on one to blame while refusing to look at the totality of the causes for an 8-8 underachieving team. Dez, Beaz, TWill, Brandon Carr, T.O...….notable Fall Guys from the past. Back to Witt.....it's always been watered-down about his mistakes, blocking vastly overrated, progress stopping, retire after the draft, back again, rotational player only to become a starter, Cabo visit, BFF pass plays, …...now a rumor (and I hope it's just a rumor)…..he is in the mix for HC (with no, and I do mean No experience). Let that sink in......anyway....the 2019 Fall Guy is/has been Zeke in a landslide with Amari making a late push. Zeke doesn't make roster or control the coaches nor sets the offensive scheme. Witt's presence clearly impacted Jarwin, clearly, and had an impact on the team making a playoff run (I'm not saying it was the sole cause). Your take obviously doesn't see that. As for minimal pay, Witt's value was minimal at this point, and the numbers illustrated it.

As for Zeke's pockets...….Just as the same in an office environment when discussing someone else' salary...….More often than not.....You’ll draw conclusions based on incomplete information. Management 101. Again....all good Aria.....keep posting.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Pollard could be the lead back if you go for a more wide open offense. Needs to be paired with a short yardage back.

But he's probably best as what we drafted him as, paired with Zeke as the "web back". I wish we had tried that more. Dak, Pollard, and Zeke all as multithreat running game, with Pollard as a matchup problem being able to go deep.

I like the base offense. Dak, Zeke, Pollard, Jarwin, Cooper, Gallup/Smith. I put Smith in there as better stretching the defense in the base, to back teams out of the box. Smith, Cooper, and Pollard all have speed to beat you deep, Jarwin can go deep down the seam. Dak and Pollard have to be accounted for in the run game, spreading the defense horizontally. Now Zeke between the tackles is running against a clearer box with smaller defenders to match up against team speed.

I like having both, good combo, can change the offense based on matchups and use both very well. Need to use Pollard to open things up when Zeke struggles inside. Both can be used more on screens.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Sometimes I feel like half this board doesn’t watch other games. There’s no other back in the league that consistently rips off 6-12 yard runs like zeke. He made the top 5 in rushing, with a long of like 35 yards, you people need to realize that wasn’t an accident. I’m sure a bunch of you watched saquon yesterday, who didn’t do squat for 95% of the game. I’ll take someone who can consistently get first downs, over a guy who “might” break one if he gets a wide enough hole. It’s insane to me sometimes, that no one seems to get how real football works, outside of watching guys on highlight reels.

Braindead thinking.

You can be a move the chains back and be a big-play back.

This is the same line of thinking the last of the Witten supporters take. They overstate the importance of Witten’s 7-8 yard catches in order to try and make it a strength that no other TE brings at the level he does.

Zeke has become a volume back. He hasn’t broken a run longer than 41-yards in three seasons.

That is pathetic.