Zeke worth the money or could Pollard tow the line?

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Honestly I think Zeke is decent RB but not Franchise RB. Pollard generally got more yards than Zeke after initial blocking scheme completed. I think this past year, Pollard could have actually won us a few more games with his vision and speed where Zeke can plow more short yards at the line when needed. Since we have both, we shoulda fed Pollard more when needing more than 4 yards.

The CAP money used on Zeke could have been better spent elsewhere.

No RB is worth that money.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Zeke is a top 5 RB in the league and most would agree.

The key is how much do you actually pay a top 5 RB - and that's where the problem lies. It's a position where guys like Henry, Chubb and Carson are leading the league yet being paid a pittance.

I'm just not a huge fan of paying a premium for a position where good blocking and scheme can make marginal talent look like Pro Bowlers.

at least your not laughably calling him the best anymore.

aria

Reaction score
Zeke's already been announced the 2019 Fall Guy.......even when Pollard fumbled against Philly, it was Zeke's fault.
If the Ewok didn’t fumble in New Orleans than the Pollard fumble wouldn’t have mattered because we would have had the division sealed up. The 90 million dollar diva set the precedent.

aria

Reaction score
LOL, he's been in the league 3 years hasn't missed a game and has back to back seasons of 1950 total yards from scrimmage and 2400 total yards from scrimmage (rushing and receiving) but lets see what he can do over time
3 years 2920 rushing yards plus 303 receptions for another 2523 yards...lets wait and see what he can do before we judge him though...lmao...P.S. hasn't missed a game
And where has that got us? What RB wouldn’t be serviceable enough to run behind that O line? What games would we have lost without Zeke?

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Honestly I think Zeke is decent RB but not Franchise RB. Pollard generally got more yards than Zeke after initial blocking scheme completed. I think this past year, Pollard could have actually won us a few more games with his vision and speed where Zeke can plow more short yards at the line when needed. Since we have both, we shoulda fed Pollard more when needing more than 4 yards.

ENDnZl9WwAAclde

Gangsta Spanksta

Reaction score

The CAP money used on Zeke could have been better spent elsewhere.

Ever hear of Troy Hambrick?

http://www.espn.com/nfl/news/2002/1118/1462729.html

"Hambrick is best known for being the player that replaced Smith as the Cowboys starter in the 2003 season. As the featured running back, using his size and deceptive speed, he rushed for career highs with 275 carries for 972 yards and 5 touchdowns, helping the team back to the playoffs for the first time since 1998. During that season against the Washington Commanders, he ran 33 times for 189 yards, which at the time was the third-most rushing yards in a game by a running back in franchise history, only Tony Dorsett and Smith had better games. On May 13, 2004, he was waived after the Cowboys drafted Julius Jones in the second round and also took into consideration his production (3.5 yards per carry).[3]" -- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troy_Hambrick#Dallas_Cowboys

A lot of #2 running backs look good, until they become the #1 running back and then teams begin to game plan against them instead of the previous #1.

aria

Reaction score
Sometimes I feel like half this board doesn’t watch other games. There’s no other back in the league that consistently rips off 6-12 yard runs like zeke. He made the top 5 in rushing, with a long of like 35 yards, you people need to realize that wasn’t an accident. I’m sure a bunch of you watched saquon yesterday, who didn’t do squat for 95% of the game. I’ll take someone who can consistently get first downs, over a guy who “might” break one if he gets a wide enough hole. It’s insane to me sometimes, that no one seems to get how real football works, outside of watching guys on highlight reels.
And how many other running backs had a top 2 run blocking line for them this year? It’s insane that you don’t mention how much of a difference O lines make. Indeed, if you watched Barkley yesterday (I did) you would see that he was constantly hit behind the line of scrimmage before he could even make a move, even the announcers mentioned it several times.

As you’ll see, the Giants are 25th in run blocking, Cowboys are 2nd. You’re off your rocker if think Zeke would have the same success running behind the Giants or that Saquon would be as unsuccessful running behind the Cowboys. While we’re had it, here’s a list of the best run blocking O lines and another list with the running backs stats. It looks to me that several running backs did more with much less of an O line. Hmmmm...go figure.

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol/2019

https://www.espn.com/nfl/stats/player/_/stat/rushing/table/rushing/sort/rushingYards/dir/desc

StuckMojo

Reaction score
don’t need a back to carry it 300 times. Don’t need a back that costs 15 million. Give me 2 pollards and save 13 million in salary.

You’re making an assumption I agreed that we should give Zeke all that money. Which I did not think we should have!

Cmac

Reaction score
If the Ewok didn’t fumble in New Orleans than the Pollard fumble wouldn’t have mattered because we would have had the division sealed up. The 90 million dollar diva set the precedent.
We got it Aria....Zeke the 2019 Fall Guy and you're the front-runner of the Hate Club. Got It. Out of curiosity.....what's your take on Witten's year?

Chrispierce

Reaction score
Pollard is not a franchise back you give 300 carries to. He’s a complimentary back ...a good one too. It would be a mistake to make him your featured back though. He’s not built for all the in between T’s dirty yard running. You’d wear him down fast.

BoysForLife

Reaction score
Hey guys has everyone already forgotten about the 2015 season when we thought Joe Randle and D Mac would easily make us forget about Murray?

Pollard is a nice change of pace back

He is not a feature back.
Zeke averaged 4.5 ypc this year, was 4th in the league in rushing and had 12 td (rushing) and people are talking about him being overrated?

Guy has played 3 full seasons (suspended almost half of 2017) and on those 3 full seasons has finished 1st, 1st, and 4th in rushing yards

You really think you'll get that from Pollard?

Come on man