Zig when they expect you to Zag (Dal vs GB)

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
Totally disagree.

Dallas is winning because they're shortening games with the run game and converting on 3rd down. You get into a long, pass-happy battle with Rodgers, and you're going to lose ugly.

It's not a one or the other situation. This team is a running, ball control team. That gives it its best chance to win. However, that does not mean you can't hit a deep ball early. I like the OP's idea of throwing a bomb early when they're expecting run. Then stick with the grind-it-out run game and control time of possession. Run, put keep them honest with the occasional deep ball.

reddyuta

Reaction score
Watch the replay of Zeke's carries against Cincy. On several they ran the zone read look and Prescott handed him the ball. I counted at least 3 instances where Dak could have kept it and likely generated a huge gain. I'm fairly certain that they don't want to run him much for fear of injury or wear and tear that will hamper his effectiveness, but there are yards to be had there. If Romo is nearly available I think they should consider a few more QB run plays especially if the other team is stacking the box to key on Zeke.

The kid is a terrific passer and looks to be mature beyond his years running the show. If they take more advantage of his running ability then it might be even more unfair. This goes without the possible inclusion of Dez in the passing game to pull an extra defender into his area (provided we aren't playing vs. Josh Norman).

i agree.Kaepernick destroyed that defense with his legs few years ago,their LBs crash hard on run downs and Dak can run around them for huge gains.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
Totally disagree.

Dallas is winning because they're shortening games with the run game and converting on 3rd down. You get into a long, pass-happy battle with Rodgers, and you're going to lose ugly.

You don't think it would be a cunning strategy to go away from what we do best? So what's the opposite of cunning?

Sasquatch

Lost in the Woods
Reaction score
Some interesting advice being proffered this week by board members to the coaching staff - run the ball 50+ times, chuck the ball down field frequently, engage in an aerial duel with Rodgers - which I sincerely hope they ignore.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
Some interesting advice being proffered this week by board members to the coaching staff - run the ball 50+ times, chuck the ball down field frequently, engage in an aerial duel with Rodgers - which I sincerely hope they ignore.

None of that "interesting advice" you list above was actually mentioned in the OP. What are you referring to?

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
You go with your strength. This team's strength is running the ball. Out coaching the opponent is not one of this teams strengths.

W.T.F,,? TOM LANDRY DOUBLE ROLLS OVER IN incredulous FASHION,,,WE have always been a ground attack team!,,now,that Don Coryell of saint Louis cardinals fame was the Arial equivalent,,,and that frickin George Allen of the Washington Commanders(I really cannot besmirch my blood line lineage) er,ah,, always wore his Lucky UNDERWARE when he had to play US.

BotchedLobotomy

Wide Right
Reaction score
W.T.F,,? TOM LANDRY DOUBLE ROLLS OVER IN incredulous FASHION,,,WE have always been a ground attack team!,,now,that Don Coryell of saint Louis cardinals fame was the Arial equivalent,,,and that frickin George Allen of the Washington Commanders(I really cannot besmirch my blood line lineage) er,ah,, always wore his Lucky UNDERWARE when he had to play US.
:huh:

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
I realize everyone is excited about the #1 rushing offense taking on the #1 rushing defense-- but we need to out-coach GB in order to maximize our game-plan in order to give us the best chance to win.

Going up there and just assuming we can run the ball right off the bat might be a tad presumptuous. I know it worked against Cinci last week, and eventually I think we WILL be able to run the ball this week-- but I am advocating deploying a strategy that keeps the GB defense on their heels: Throw the ball early and exploit their injured and depleted secondary.

The Packers have no choice but to prepare for our running game. That will be their focus. I would prepare Dak with some play action intermediate/deep passes right off the bat. If we can get on the board early and take the lead-- we put the pressure on them, and we can start feeding off the momentum like we did against Cinci.

I think if we go up there and force the run-- we could run right into the teeth of their defensive plan, and get behind the 8 ball early on the road against a very good opponent. IMO-- this is a week that we throw to set up the run later and get the majority of our yards on the ground in the 2nd half grinding the GB defense down.
A healthy game plan.

Bubble screens..

quick passes to the perimeter..

dump offs to Zeke..

passes to the TEs in the soft zone behind the Lbers..

bootlegs..

wiggles

and DAK taking off are all coming.

Pick your poision, GB.

Of course they do exactly the same thing, too.

I think we come in dangerous with nothing to lose.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
I think we come in dangerous with nothing to lose.

Yah... they are favored and we are the young upstarts. Everyone expects us to get whooped by Rodgers and lose (again) in GB. I don't think we blow them out, but I think we give them all they can handle.

I think Dez playing against that depleted secondary is a big mismatch in our favor. They will be primed for the run so there should be some big plays in the passing game. As long as we protect the football and play respectable defense, we can walk out with a W on Sun.

MRV52

rat2k8
Reaction score
First play of the game should be play action bomb to Butler. Punch it in the mouth early!!! They would never expect this.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Yah... they are favored and we are the young upstarts. Everyone expects us to get whooped by Rodgers and lose (again) in GB. I don't think we blow them out, but I think we give them all they can handle.

I think Dez playing against that depleted secondary is a big mismatch in our favor. They will be primed for the run so there should be some big plays in the passing game. As long as we protect the football and play respectable defense, we can walk out with a W on Sun.
As always..

the win comes down to what Marinelli can cobble together defensively.

So far Marinelli has cobbled together an answer.

We'll see with Rodgers..

He's alot tuffer than DALTON and GABBERT.

So is their run defense a solid thing as well as their pass rush.

So don't know if we can go into a big game and coompete..

but we really get to see if the rookies are as good as we think.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score

I expect DEZ to play..

at least in the Red zone and key 3rd downs..

This is the scene of his crime in 2014 for DEZ.

Give me a shot and a tensor and tape me up coach.

Where's my helmet and gloves.?

NextGenBoys

Reaction score
I realize everyone is excited about the #1 rushing offense taking on the #1 rushing defense-- but we need to out-coach GB in order to maximize our game-plan in order to give us the best chance to win.

Going up there and just assuming we can run the ball right off the bat might be a tad presumptuous. I know it worked against Cinci last week, and eventually I think we WILL be able to run the ball this week-- but I am advocating deploying a strategy that keeps the GB defense on their heels: Throw the ball early and exploit their injured and depleted secondary.

The Packers have no choice but to prepare for our running game. That will be their focus. I would prepare Dak with some play action intermediate/deep passes right off the bat. If we can get on the board early and take the lead-- we put the pressure on them, and we can start feeding off the momentum like we did against Cinci.

I think if we go up there and force the run-- we could run right into the teeth of their defensive plan, and get behind the 8 ball early on the road against a very good opponent. IMO-- this is a week that we throw to set up the run later and get the majority of our yards on the ground in the 2nd half grinding the GB defense down.

They're #1 against the run because they haven't played any run first teams.

Their ranking is not an indication of their talent level.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
They're #1 against the run because they haven't played any run first teams.

Their ranking is not an indication of their talent level.

Since 1933 they are ranked the second best EVER against the run over the first 4 games of the year. Any way you slice it-- that's good. I'm not saying we won't be able to run-- but why not exploit your opponent's weakness? Their top 2 corners are injured and we have some serious weapons in the passing game.