Zimmer is not the culprit

rcaldw

Reaction score
I may be in the minority here, but I think all those who want to put the woes of the defense on Mike Zimmer aren't paying close enough attention.

Wasn't the defense pretty good under Zimmer at one point in his career? Do you really think that any aspect of this team doesn't reflect Parcells and his philosophy and approach?

I think the entire team is a reflection of Parcells and I think that Zimmer pretty much does what Parcells wants.

superpunk

Reaction score
That's exactly why he is a problem. Because he does what Parcells wants. A coordinator's job is to push the envelope with the coach and get HIS ideas on the field. That resistance is what makes any company succesful. Zimmer seems devoid of ideas.

rcaldw

Reaction score
superpunk;1282798 said:
That's exactly why he is a problem. Because he does what Parcells wants. A coordinator's job is to push the envelope with the coach and get HIS ideas on the field. That resistance is what makes any company succesful. Zimmer seems devoid of ideas.

Were we an offensive juggernaut last year? Or have we been at any time during Parcell's tenure?

Seems to me that Sean Payton has done pretty well since he left us. Did ANYONE see Payton having the success he's had by watching him under Parcells?

Maybe it isn't so much a matter of what a guy COULD do or is WILLING to do, but rather what he is ALLOWED to do.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
rcaldw;1282788 said:
Zimmer is not the culprit

:bang2::bang2::bang2::bang2:

Him and Parcells are to blame ...... they are the coaches .... the players have the talent ....

its the coaching

DBoys

Reaction score
rcaldw;1282788 said:
I may be in the minority here, but I think all those who want to put the woes of the defense on Mike Zimmer aren't paying close enough attention.

Wasn't the defense pretty good under Zimmer at one point in his career? Do you really think that any aspect of this team doesn't reflect Parcells and his philosophy and approach?

I think the entire team is a reflection of Parcells and I think that Zimmer pretty much does what Parcells wants.

Wouldn't surprise me. Proof of your suspicion would be in him not being fired. If Zimmer sticks around it is because he is doing what Parcells tells him.

superpunk

Reaction score
rcaldw;1282807 said:
Were we an offensive juggernaut last year? Or have we been at any time during Parcell's tenure?

Seems to me that Sean Payton has done pretty well since he left us. Did ANYONE see Payton having the success he's had by watching him under Parcells?

Maybe it isn't so much a matter of what a guy COULD do or is WILLING to do, but rather what he is ALLOWED to do.
We are this year. A semi-horde of offensive guys with ideas came on the scene, and have us trotting out all kinds of interesting sets, formations, personnel groupings. Getting different palyers involved at different times. You've got to push your ideas, and when they're given the chance, make them work. Zimmer hasn';t established that credit with the 3-4.

rcaldw

Reaction score
zrinkill;1282808 said:

Him and Parcells are to blame ...... they are the coaches .... the players have the talent ....

its the coaching

I don't deny it has to do with coaching. I also happen to think that the defense lacks speed in some areas, and that has to do with the players they have selected.

But what I'm getting at is those people who want to absolve Parcells for the defensive struggles and put it all on Zimmer. What I am proposing is that Zimmer is simply running Parcell's ideas. I think Parcells has a pretty tight handle on every aspect of any team he coaches, down to the way a return man takes a punt return.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
zrinkill;1282808 said:

its the coaching

Well I think it is both. Coaches take the responsibility but players need to make plays. If these players are talented then they need to start making plays instead of blowing them. Regardless of what schemes we run it still comes down to players executing them

Paniolo22

Hawaiian Cowboy
Reaction score
Ever since the year our run D got raped, it has been a read and react type of defense. Bend don't break. Well, now we can't do neither and we are bending and breaking. We need an experienced 3-4 coordinator to change it up. Hell, Jerry Glanville in 2 years at Hawaii raised the defense from 119 to 52. All it takes is someone who knows what the hell they are doing with the players they have. I'm on the official GROZ bandwagon.

wileedog

Reaction score
rcaldw;1282807 said:

Payton had the wrong Drew last year under center, a mess of an Oline (which made the wrong Drew thing that much worse) and one good WR. Now he has a very strong Oline, Drew Brees, good WRs, and Reggie Bush to work with.

BTW Parcells handed over the playcalling duties to Sean last year for the first time in forever. He had plenty of control over the offense, but because of the train wreck on the line in particular he probably had to be a lot more conservative than he can be in NO.

And if Parcells is squashing the wills of his coaches, why are we such a good offensive team this year? The OCs have actually done a pretty good job creating a pretty creative offense this year, especially for a Parcells team. Why did Bill squash Sean but is allowing Palmer and company a lot more leash?

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
rcaldw;1282807 said:

2006 no Payton. Best offense we have seen in years.:eek:

Arch Stanton

it was the grave marked unknown right beside
Reaction score
Paniolo22;1282835 said:
Ever since the year our run D got raped, it has been a read and react type of defense. Bend don't break. Well, now we can't do neither and we are bending and breaking. We need an experienced 3-4 coordinator to change it up. Hell, Jerry Glanville in 2 years at Hawaii raised the defense from 119 to 52. All it takes is someone who knows what the hell they are doing with the players they have. I'm on the official GROZ bandwagon.

Pickle Juice?

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
So Zimmer is standing there with a knife in his hand and the victim's blood all over his shirt, yet he's not the "culprit." He's certainly a suspect.

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
bbgun;1283244 said:
So Zimmer is standing there with a knife in his hand and the victim's blood all over his shirt, yet he's not the "culprit." He's certainly a suspect.

:lmao2:

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
So let me see, many don't want Parcells to be an overcontrolling pain who tells his DC's what to do, but when they fail it's his fault?