Zimmer maybe not new DC?

XXLMike

Reaction score
Don’t be shocked if Jerry has the whole thing to Rex .

McCarthy out Rex in …

MRV52

rat2k8
Reaction score
There is something happening for sure. Rex doesn’t go on the air to make a fool out of himself and saying it’s not a done deal yet. Like some have said maybe McCarthy is getting the boot or both Zimmer and Rex will be with the team.

CowboysRule

Reaction score
You guys are insane. There's a hold up with a contract for a coordinator in the offseason and it's immediately pages of how terrible this organization is and circus this and Jones sucks that. Some of you really need to take a look at some other franchises. None of this is isolated to the Cowboys. Teams negotiate, contracts are signed, broken, and redone all the time. It's how business works in the NFL.

EenonyMoose

Reaction score
There is something happening for sure. Rex doesn’t go on the air to make a fool out of himself and saying it’s not a done deal yet. Like some have said maybe McCarthy is getting the boot or both Zimmer and Rex will be with the team.
If I had to guess, I'd say the Cowboys are trying to negotiate/put pressure on Zimmer through the media by feeding Schefter a line about Ryan knowing they'd both be on the pregame show, and they probably also called Ryan to let him know there was a holdup in negotiations with Zimmer. Now, if any of us ended up as a backup candidate for a job we applied to, that employer probably wouldn't call us unless their first choice had already backed out. But we don't host a Super Bowl pregame show.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If Rex really thought he was getting hired, the last thing he would (or should) do is make a media topic out of it before it is announced.

I believe all of this was simply Rex taking advantage of the NFL limits on announcements during Super Bowl week by keeping his name in the mix for a job where he was probably not seriously considered in an effort to let teams know that in 2025 they should contact him for their openings since he has been out of the coaching game for several years.

_sturt_

Reaction score
For the record, and noting that it was supposedly said that Jerry's prepared to swing for the fences...

And given my opinion that there's really only two options that would amount to that...

And given my opinion that one of those is a non-starter for a DC position, ie, Hoodie Bill...

And given my opinion that the other is Pete Carrolll...

I'm gonna be content to think maybe the delay is prompted by, not only the natural preference to be compliant with the league's desire to hush hush any news until SB is put to bed, but also by a behind-the-scenes last-second palpable interest coming from Bubble Yum Pete's agent.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
This thread has run its course.

raven55

Reaction score
don't worry jerry's already bought his tickets next year for the final game

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
NFL League Rules Has Stated That No Anouncements Are Not Aloud During SB Week
So ... wait ... you can make announcements during Super Bowl week or just have to do it silently?

EenonyMoose

Reaction score
If I had to guess, I'd say the Cowboys are trying to negotiate/put pressure on Zimmer through the media by feeding Schefter a line about Ryan knowing they'd both be on the pregame show, and they probably also called Ryan to let him know there was a holdup in negotiations with Zimmer. Now, if any of us ended up as a backup candidate for a job we applied to, that employer probably wouldn't call us unless their first choice had already backed out. But we don't host a Super Bowl pregame show.
Told y'all, lol