Zimmer - Next Season

TX_Yid

Reaction score
It's become a little more difficult on this site to get a read on what you think of the Zimmer man.

Before the season started it was clearly a strongly held opinion that Zimmer is an idiot, has no imagination, cannot create a decent defensive scheme and would help this Cowboys team to lose more games than they would win.

Less and less has been said about the "Village Idiot" as the season has gone by, probably due to the performance of the defence this far.

Is it a case of Zimmer's flaws being covered up because of the talent of our defensive players, or has Zimmer come good and started to get things going?

Either way.. does Zimmer stay next season? Do you still want him around? How good could the defence become if we brought in a better DC?

1fisher

Reaction score
TX_Yid said:
It's become a little more difficult on this site to get a read on what you think of the Zimmer man.

Before the season started it was clearly a strongly held opinion that Zimmer is an idiot, has no imagination, cannot create a decent defensive scheme and would help this Cowboys team to lose more games than they would win.

Less and less has been said about the "Village Idiot" as the season has gone by, probably due to the performance of the defence this far.

Is it a case of Zimmer's flaws being covered up because of the talent of our defensive players, or has Zimmer come good and started to get things going?

Either way.. does Zimmer stay next season? Do you still want him around? How good could the defence become if we brought in a better DC?

when the "D" plays good not much is said...... when the "D" stinks it up then the fire Zimmer crowd will rear it's ugly head..... you're dealing with fickle fans and chicken littles on this board.......

The "D" has been playing good lately and it can be attributed to both Zimmer and the talent level. I hope he blitzes Manning early and often.....

joseephuss

Reaction score
If the defense keeps things up, they could finish in the top 5. So he will have coached a 4-3 scheme and a 3-4 scheme into the top 5. Pretty good accomplishments.

lspain1

Reaction score
Please see the Cowboys-Giants Preview by Parchman for some criticism of Zimmer. I'm personally not sure if he merits the criticism. On the one hand it seems to me other defenses get more turnovers. Does anyone know if this is true?

On the other hand, while we have transitioned to the 3-4, it seems we are still a bit weak at the key LB position to be truly dominant, so Zimmer is still working with talent not quite suited to the scheme.

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
TX_Yid said:

I still don't think Zimmer is a good DC. He still plays the same "bend-but-don't-break" style that he always has. He still cannot design a decent blitz package, and still can't find a way to put pressure on the QB even with the talent we have and the switch to the 3-4.

Our defense is NOT making big plays, not creating turnovers, and allowing too many late game big plays.

I know many in here will tell me that I am crazy and that our defense is playing great. I will agree that our defense is playing well but I would not say it is great. Great defenses create turnovers and make big plays, ours doesn't and never has since Dave Campo took over. That is not what it is designed to do, it is designed to limit what the offense can do rather than to force them into mistakes, "bend-but-don't-break".

Parcells obviously sees something in Zimmer as do many around the league. I am hoping that someone hires him to be a HC somewhere and we are rid of him for good. I didn't like him as the DBs coach and I don't like him as our DC. I just don't like the style we play under him and would rather see a more attacking defense that imposes its will on the offense rather than simply trying to limit what they can do.

Just a personal preference.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
1fisher said:
when the "D" plays good not much is said...... when the "D" stinks it up then the fire Zimmer crowd will rear it's ugly head..... you're dealing with fickle fans and chicken littles on this board.......

The "D" has been playing good lately and it can be attributed to both Zimmer and the talent level. I hope he blitzes Manning early and often.....
When the D plays well it's because Parcells is calling the plays. When they play bad Zimmer is calling the plays....get it straight man :D

HTownCowboysFan

Reaction score
1fisher said:

Agreed. Zimmer is a heck of a coach. If he wasn't, he wouldn't be coaching with Bill.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
TX_Yid said:

I'm not sure how strongly or widely the idea that Zimmer is an idiot ever went in the past. I think those who don't like him and held that opinion simply never tired of writing about it. Those of us who believed he'd done a good job with our defense over the years simply didn't expend the energy to counter thread after thread after endless thread that all kept giving the same "village idiot" theme.

The man coached a 4-3 defense with no pass rush and very little talent to #1 statistically in the league a few years ago. What happened last year had more to do with lack of talent and poor management to go into the season with no FS and no RCB as much as anything else. This year he's taken on the 3-4 and seems to really be on top of it faster than I ever imagined. Like him or not, he's no "village idiot" and if ever fired, you can rest assured he's likely to have a job somewhere in the NFL for as long as he wants it.

1fisher

Reaction score
Yeagermeister said:
When the D plays well it's because Parcells is calling the plays. When they play bad Zimmer is calling the plays....get it straight man :D

thanks for clearing that up for me!! :D

BTW.... I'm seeing more and more Cowboy shirts and caps being worn around Memphis..... wagon jumpers possibly? :starspin

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
1fisher said:

Wrong.

Complaints about Zimmer can be heard when they play good or when they play horrible.

Some people, like myself feel that we have seen what Zimmer can do and would not mind trying to get better at that position. Parcells always talks about getting better every position, including the Coaching Staff, so I dont see why DC is any different.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Zimmer should have taken a college job last year -- He's not going to get credit for this D since it is BP's baby.

baj1dallas

Reaction score
Well among the anti-Zimmer crowd the belief is certainly strongly held that Zimmer is a terrible coach. Most people here think he does a pretty good job. Most people that don't like him don't think he's aggressive enough. But I think he is for the most part and I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt that when he's not aggressive it's for a reason.

And I disagree that this defense doesn't make plays. Roy makes an absolute ton of plays. T-new makes plays. Henry might not get turnovers but he makes plays. Now without Dat I agree that there are no playmakers at inside linebacker and really at linebacker at all because Ware is just not at that level yet. But on the d-line we have guys that can make plays but they're not going to do it as often as you might like because they get so much attention from the other team.

But it is the players that have to make plays, not the DC. So I don't think you can blame that on Zimmer at all. T-new did a great job baiting Plummer into throwing a pick and Roy did the same against McNabb. Both of those you have to give Zimmer a little credit for giving those guys the chance to make their own decisions but most of the credit has to go to the players.

TheHustler

Reaction score
mickgreen58 said:
Wrong.

Complaints about Zimmer can be heard when they play good or when they play horrible.

Some people, like myself feel that we have seen what Zimmer can do and would not mind trying to get better at that position. Parcells always talks about getting better every position, including the Coaching Staff, so I dont see why DC is any different.

OC is more of a problem than DC at the moment.

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
mickgreen58 said:
Wrong.

I'd take an OL coach first....

AbeBeta

Reaction score
TheHustler said:

I think you mean OL.

Zimmer's unit played awful last year -- add a CB and a new DL and bingo, you've got a solid D.

It is hard to coordinate an offense that can't get consistent blocking.

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
TheHustler said:

Right...

The original poster wanted to discuss Zimmer.

I agree, we do have some issues on offense.

- Mike G.

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
I know I know we have other problems, but this thread was about Zimmer.

- Mike G.

kingwhicker

BCRSA
Reaction score
I'd prefer to have a more aggressive and imaginative DC, but I am hardly anti-Zimmer. The thing with him is, one year his D is good, the next it's awful- his inconsistency is remarkably consistent.