Zimmer present for brutal losses

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Zimmer was our DC when we couldn't convert a chipshot FG against Seattle in the playoffs.

Tonight he was HC of a team that failed to convert a chipshot against Seattle in the playoffs.

Two brutal and weirdly low probability losses.

foofighters

Reaction score
You do realize both of those teams had other opportunities to win those games, right?

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
You do realize both of those teams had other opportunities to win those games, right?

On his behalf, he did point out have both losses occurred in an anomalous fashion. He didn't yell, Zimmer sucks because of it.

foofighters

Reaction score
On his behalf, he did point out have both losses occurred in an anomalous fashion. He didn't yell, Zimmer sucks because of it.
I don't remember saying he did say that Zimmer sucks or anything along those lines. I simply asked him a question. I am glad you could run to his defense?!? even though it wasn't meant to be taken that way. Both losses were heartbreaking and unfortunate to end that way but both teams had opportunities to win.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
Felt bad for Zimmer.

The kick never had a chance. It's like the kicker completely lost track of his position on the field. Is that a choke?

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
And both were due to poor holds as well.

I could be wrong, but I don't think that is the holder's fault. From what I've learned the snapper has to snap the ball as such where the place holder can simply place the ball down with the laces out. It didn't look like that happened on either time the ball had the laces in.

At first, I liked Zimmer here, but I eventually soured on him completely. He just was not a good D-Coordinator here. The 2006 season was the worst case as he simply could not figure out how to stop RB's or even FB's coming out of the backfield to catch a pass. It was really pathetic and Parcells took the play calling duties and essentially the defense away from him at the end of the year.

But, whatever it is...he's changed as a coach. His defenses are far more aggressive now and he's not so worried about stopping the run. I think he's always been a good coach at coaching the secondary, but the D-Line was his weakness and he's figured it out. It has probably helped that this league has become more of secondary league with all of the short passing going on.

Good for him. Even though I was fed up with Zimmer here, it takes a good, smart coach to be able to change your ways to adapt. And he never made excuses and never put the blame on somebody else for his defense not succeeding.

YR

AbeBeta

Reaction score

Really?

Any time you are kicking a FG to win the game, you've obviously had numerous other opportunities to win. That's no sort of insight.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
I could be wrong, but I don't think that is the holder's fault. From what I've learned the snapper has to snap the ball as such where the place holder can simply place the ball down with the laces out. It didn't look like that happened on either time the ball had the laces in.

At first, I liked Zimmer here, but I eventually soured on him completely. He just was not a good D-Coordinator here. The 2006 season was the worst case as he simply could not figure out how to stop RB's or even FB's coming out of the backfield to catch a pass. It was really pathetic and Parcells took the play calling duties and essentially the defense away from him at the end of the year.

But, whatever it is...he's changed as a coach. His defenses are far more aggressive now and he's not so worried about stopping the run. I think he's always been a good coach at coaching the secondary, but the D-Line was his weakness and he's figured it out. It has probably helped that this league has become more of secondary league with all of the short passing going on.

Good for him. Even though I was fed up with Zimmer here, it takes a good, smart coach to be able to change your ways to adapt. And he never made excuses and never put the blame on somebody else for his defense not succeeding.

YR
The ball usually rotates, the laces may face a different way every time. The holder is suppose to spin the laces out of the way.

AbeBeta

Reaction score

i don't think the laces really should matter on a chip shot. maybe if you are talking 40 some yards out it does. He just didn't hit that ball right at all. Like he didn't realize he was on the left hashmark or something

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Much like Murray caught hell last season for his fumble in the GB game some of the blame of the Minn loss should fall to Peterson whose fumble allowed the Seahawks to make the comeback

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Oh, I expect that on Minny's fan boards they are getting out the switch and taking him to the woodshed.

Maybe so but I doubt as much heat as Walsh is getting which was about as much as Murray got.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
Much like Murray caught hell last season for his fumble in the GB game some of the blame of the Minn loss should fall to Peterson whose fumble allowed the Seahawks to make the comeback

Hmmmm...yeah. But they had the equivalent to a fast break layup to win the game. The kicker obviously has to make that kick. If they don't make it to FG range, Peterson would be catching a lot more heat today IMO.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Hmmmm...yeah. But they had the equivalent to a fast break layup to win the game. The kicker obviously has to make that kick. If they don't make it to FG range, Peterson would be catching a lot more heat today IMO.

I agree kicker missed what should have been an easy kick regardless of the laces. Just saying it was AP fumble that lead to the seahawks come back.

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
Zimmer was our DC when we couldn't convert a chipshot FG against Seattle in the playoffs.

Tonight he was HC of a team that failed to convert a chipshot against Seattle in the playoffs.

Two brutal and weirdly low probability losses.

yeah Seattle has got to be the only team that has won WC playoff games twice in ten years where the opposing team has botched FGs under 30 yards at the end.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
i don't think the laces really should matter on a chip shot. maybe if you are talking 40 some yards out it does. He just didn't hit that ball right at all. Like he didn't realize he was on the left hashmark or something

Sports Science did an episode on this and making a field goal with the laces in was more or less potluck. IIRC, the ball will travel further with the laces in, but if the foot hits the laces, you can't control it.

YR