Zone Blocking

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I've become interested in the Zone Blocking scheme now that it appears the Cowboys will be using it more or completely switching to it.

Callahan has coached this scheme and Garrett has acquired several players that appear to fit this scheme better than a man-blocking scheme.

The most interesting thing that I've found is the Center's responsibility in regards to line-calls. It appears that the Center is not required to make line-calls for the entire line based on the alignment of the defense. Each player makes a read and conveys that to the player on each side of him. The blocking assignment is somewhat automatic based on the combination of the play call and the individual player being either "covered" or "uncovered".

They stress intelligence and quickness over power when choosing players to implement this system. Obviously, it is desireable to have a big, strong player, but he must also be quick, agile and be able to make his own reads of the defense.

This scheme makes defenders more susceptible to over pursuing, especially against the run.

Jerry said last year that "we" (Garrett) want to do some things that Houck is not confortable teaching/implementing.

Here is some info on Zone Blocking:

http://hawgtuff.net/ZONE BLOCKING CONCEPTS.pdf

http://hawgtuff.net/ZONE BLOCKING FOOTWORK AND SCHEMES.pdf

Scroll down to Zone Blocking for some more info.
http://hawgtuff.net/

Bluestang

Reaction score
xwalker;4576921 said:
I've become interested in the Zone Blocking scheme now that it appears the Cowboys will be using it more or completely switching to it.

Callahan has coached this scheme and Garrett has acquired several players that appear to fit this scheme better than a man-blocking scheme.

The most interesting thing that I've found is the Center's responsibility in regards to line-calls. It appears that the Center is not required to make line-calls for the entire line based on the alignment of the defense. Each player makes a read and conveys that to the player on each side of him. The blocking assignment is somewhat automatic based on the combination of the play call and the individual player being either "covered" or "uncovered".

They stress intelligence and quickness over power when choosing players to implement this system. Obviously, it is desireable to have a big, strong player, but he must also be quick, agile and be able to make his own reads of the defense.

This scheme makes defenders more susceptible to over pursuing, especially against the run.

Jerry said last year that "we" (Garrett) want to do some things that Houck is not confortable teaching/implementing.

Here is some info on Zone Blocking:

http://hawgtuff.net/ZONE BLOCKING CONCEPTS.pdf

http://hawgtuff.net/ZONE BLOCKING FOOTWORK AND SCHEMES.pdf

Scroll down to Zone Blocking for some more info.
http://hawgtuff.net/

Dallas is not completely switching to this concept. They use it for inside zone runs and outside runs - mainly stretches.

The lead iso draw we see so much is a man blocking scheme and the g power runs (pulling guards) are also man concepts.

Dallas is using zone blocking on certain plays because it allows the runner to chose which hole he wants to attack vs in a man blocking scheme there is only one hole to go through.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Bluestang;4576939 said:
Dallas is not completely switching to this concept. They use it for inside zone runs and outside runs - mainly stretches.

The lead iso draw we see so much is a man blocking scheme and the g power runs (pulling guards) are also man concepts.

Dallas is using zone blocking on certain plays because it allows the runner to chose which hole he wants to attack vs in a man blocking scheme there is only one hole to go through.

Yep, I don't expect them to abandon the lead draw and pulling guards; however, I expect the scheme to be significantly different than last year due to the new OL coach.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Watching the Texans and the zone blocking schemes of Alex Gibbs seems to have made a big difference in Houston and has been a big reason for Fosters success.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Bryan Broaddus ‏@BryanBroaddus
Watching the OL work, Callahan is teaching the line to shuffle two steps sideways then work up the field to get man. Have never seen that.

Early evidence of Callahan implementing Zone concepts.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
It's something we should have adopted some time ago. In keeping with typical, slow to adjust, Cowboy fashion - We were one of the last teams to rely almost entirely on man blocking schemes. Why? Because it worked 20 years ago, why not now?

Our desperation to replicate the success of the 90's has, in many ways, hurt us more than its helped us.

Bluestang

Reaction score
TheCount;4577975 said:
It's something we should have adopted some time ago. In keeping with typical, slow to adjust, Cowboy fashion - We were one of the last teams to rely almost entirely on man blocking schemes. Why? Because it worked 20 years ago, why not now?

Our desperation to replicate the success of the 90's has, in many ways, hurt us more than its helped us.

Lol, this is simply not true and I suspect that it won't be a full switch.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Bluestang;4577995 said:
Lol, this is simply not true and I suspect that it won't be a full switch.

That it's hurt us to chase the success of the 90's is an opinion, that we are one of the last teams to adopt zone blocking schemes is a fact.

jnday

Reaction score
TheCount;4578028 said:
That it's hurt us to chase the success of the 90's is an opinion, that we are one of the last teams to adopt zone blocking schemes is a fact.

Actually, the Cowboys were using a good bit of zone blocking in the 90s. Vela, over at Cowboys Nation, had an article a few months ago that stated the Cowboys used zone blocking during that time. They just used big linemen to do it which was the best of both worlds IMO. They went away from zone blocking in the late 90s to the present for the most part. If you read between the lines, you can see a zone blocking coach has been brought in and the free agent OGs are bigger than last year. I think the plan is to use the 90s lines as a model to build a zone blocking line with size and power.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
We've zoned before. I remember a game in 2008, I think it was, when Dan Reeves was doing radio for Westwood One and he said we did both.

Actually he pointed out that our man blocking plays were working way better than our zone blocking ones, and wondered why we kept running zone plays.

burmafrd

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;4578044 said:
We've zoned before. I remember a game in 2008, I think it was, when Dan Reeves was doing radio for Westwood One and he said we did both.

Actually he pointed out that our man blocking plays were working way better than our zone blocking ones, and wondered why we kept running zone plays.

our problem has been lack of talent not scheme

jnday

Reaction score
burmafrd;4578050 said:

I agree 100%. I am hoping for the best, but expecting the worst with the current group.

jayhouston12

Reaction score
i really hate the ZBS but if you can do it correctly then you'll be able to run misdirections and counters all darn day and the defense won't know what hit em

but i just prefer a MBS as to a ZBS

brymatt94

Reaction score
I don't there's a team in the NFL that doesn't use at least some zone blocking schemes at this point. I think we might just start using it more consistently this season.

Kangaroo

Reaction score
Doomsday101;4576968 said:
Watching the Texans and the zone blocking schemes of Alex Gibbs seems to have made a big difference in Houston and has been a big reason for Fosters success.

It only took them 3 years to get the line adequate and 4 years to make it good. Plus Gibbs has not been in Houston since the end of 2009 season when he bolted for Seattle

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
burmafrd;4578050 said:

Agree. Talent is the top priority; however, scheme and coaching can make players better.

The OL was in limbo last year, IMO. Garrett acquired several players that were better fits in the ZBS; however, he had an MBS OL coach. Jerry said last year "we" have to prod Houck to do some things he's not confortable doing.

IMO, the most important thing about any scheme (3-4 or 4-3 Defense, man vs zone coverage, man or zone blocking, etc..) is matching the scheme to the players. For example, the NY Giants would be a terrible fit for a 3-4 Defense, IMO.

jnday

Reaction score
jayhouston12;4578108 said:
i really hate the ZBS but if you can do it correctly then you'll be able to run misdirections and counters all darn day and the defense won't know what hit em

but i just prefer a MBS as to a ZBS

I don't like small olinemen running the ZBS. I really don't care what system they use. I want big, mean , nasty linemen that can wear the defense down. If Tyron gains about 20lbs, the team will have a grand total of one.

Bluestang

Reaction score
jnday;4578205 said:
I don't like small olinemen running the ZBS. I really don't care what system they use. I want big, mean , nasty linemen that can wear the defense down. If Tyron gains about 20lbs, the team will have a grand total of one.

The zone blocking scheme was invented because of small olinemen. Where they tend to struggle is in pass protection but that is why it it used extensively in west coast offenses because of the quick passing game.

I'll say it one more time, Dallas uses it for stretch runs and some inside zone running plays. It allows the ball carrier to chose which gap to attack as the play is unfolding rather than attacking a specific gap in a man scheme run.