Zoners: Am I missing the boat?

AmishCowboy

if you ain't first, you're last
Reaction score
He torched Justin King of Penn St, kinda reminded me of Plaxico Burress.

IndianaCowboyFan

The Bullet
Reaction score
AmishCowboy;1914370 said:
He torched Justin King of Penn St, kindaeminded me of Plaxico Burress.

I think that is why King's status has dropped. I am not impressed with him either. Hardy is probably a better WR than King is a cover CB.

AmishCowboy

if you ain't first, you're last
Reaction score
King will be Ok, Penn St Defense usually had them line up 10 yards off, King has Speed and a lot of upside, should be a good Second or early third rounder.

djtavo

Jesus is Lord
Reaction score
2006: Followed a stellar freshman season with an equally impressive sophomore year ... hauled in 51 passes for 722 yards and 10 touchdowns ... named second team All-Big Ten by the conference media for the second straight year.
2005: A second team all-league selection, Hardy caught 61 passes for 893 yards and 10 touchdowns ... 61 receptions rank second in single-season school history, 893 yards sit fourth and 10 touchdowns share second.
2004: Redshirted.
High School: A two-sport standout at Fort Wayne Elmhurst High School, Hardy was named All-SAC as a wide receiver after making 34 catches for 731 yards and 10 touchdowns as a senior ... following his final campaign, he was a 4A All-State selection by the Indiana Football Coaches Association.

Kilyin

Reaction score
Rack;1914300 said:
Don't even let the Giants loss bother you. Doesn't seem to be bothering any of the cowboys players.

And you had to have seen it coming from the way they played in December. The way you play in december is usually the way you play in January (not always, but USUALLY). And that certainly was the case for the cowboys.

It better bother them. I can't take another year of 13-3.

I'm sure we could all see it coming, even those that missed the boat. But as a fan, you don't wanna see it coming.

Everyone hopes that one day will come when this team won't choke away every opportunity they get in December and January - and I'm sure it will. I just hope it's before I'm collecting dust and chewing up stool softeners like Flintstone vitamins.

NextGenBoys

Reaction score
Anytime you have a guy that is 6'7 with the speed and leaping ability of Hardy you seriously look at him. It's no question.

The guy is a physical freak. Not going to burn you like Steve Smith, nor run the routes like Marvin Harrison. But the dude is 6'7 with pretty good speed, tremendous leaping skills, and the ability to come down with the majority of jump balls.

He's never going to be a Jerry Rice, but I think he will develop into a nice WR. Don't know if he's first round material, but still...

NextGenBoys

Reaction score
Yakuza Rich;1914363 said:
Depends on whether or not he can get out of the breaks and get seperation. Otherwise he's just another Matt Jones who had all the size and 40 speed, but can't get seperation and looks like a huge bust.

YAKUZA

No disrespect, but that isnt a very good comparison. Hardy has very soft hands when going up to get the ball. Jones was a QB turned receiver who has never shown much ability to "go get it"

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
CrazyCowboy;1914218 said:
James Hardy - WR - 6'6" 220 lbs. - Indiana
Hardy is a huge receiver who was a force for the Hoosiers in the Big Ten.

Note: I really believe he would be a great fit if we could get him with our 1st rd pick. What do you folks think? Is this crazy?:star:

Read the scouting reports, CC... when you do, you'll see that some folks think he needs to bulk up and move to TE...

I ask you, do the Boys need a first round TE conversion project??

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
NextGenBoys;1914596 said:
No disrespect, but that isnt a very good comparison. Hardy has very soft hands when going up to get the ball. Jones was a QB turned receiver who has never shown much ability to "go get it"

Jones has never shown much ability to get seperation either despite being 6'6" and running a 4.3 forty time. He can't get off the line of scrimmage quick enough so he doesn't gain seperation.

It's very difficult to be a really good receiver in the league if you can't get much seperation. Occasionally there will be a Keyshawn who is so strong and good at using his body, but even Key wasn't much of a deep threat.

I've never seen the guy play, but I wouldn't be fooled by his height, forty time and production and assume it will translate to the pros. That being said, if he can't cut it at receiver he'll probably just move to TE.

YAKUZA

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
silverbear;1914597 said:
Read the scouting reports, CC... when you do, you'll see that some folks think he needs to bulk up and move to TE...

1. Who says he'd be a first rounder?

2. WHo says he would have to move to TE? Some wannabe draft "Expert"?

3. I don't think we need a WR at all, but if Hardy is there in the 2nd I take him (as a WR).

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
silverbear;1914597 said:

Yes, I have read the negative also......as you well know......scouting reports have both neg and pos......and I am concentrating on the positive.

glassjaw

Reaction score
early in season he was mentioned more as a 1st rounder, not so much since season ended. lots of plaxxico comparisons. will probably depend on how he runs at combine. if he breaks 4.5 somebody will pick him in round one. personally i would guess he is picked late round 2 early 3rd

vicjagger

Reaction score
I saw him play in 1 game: vs. Penn State. I was VERY impressed. Although, he'll probably be a possesion receiver in the NFL, like Keyshawn, and I think we need more of a deep threat...

silverbear

Reaction score
Rack;1914723 said:
1. Who says he'd be a first rounder?

Any number of mock drafts I've seen so far...

2. WHo says he would have to move to TE? Some wannabe draft "Expert"?

More like a couple-three of 'em I've seen... look, I have no dog in this fight, I'm just reporting what I read... as a matter of fact, if you looked at the WRs I'm most intrigued by in this draft, you'd notice that I prefer the bigger prospects... Sweed, Bowman, Kelly (not necessarily in that order)... so I have no reason not to be intrigued by a 6-7 wideout as well... but when I read in a number of different places that he might have to bulk up and move to TE to be successful in the NFL, I look at Witten, Fasano, Curtis and Hannah, and well, I just don't think we need another TE at this point in time... particularly not one who would be a conversion project...

3. I don't think we need a WR at all, but if Hardy is there in the 2nd I take him (as a WR).

I think there would be other WRs on the board at that point that I'd take ahead of him...

silverbear

Reaction score
CrazyCowboy;1914738 said:
Yes, I have read the negative also......as you well know......scouting reports have both neg and pos......and I am concentrating on the positive.

Actually, what I reported isn't so much a negative, most of the folks who say he'll need to move to TE seem to think he'll be able to make such a move...

Again, I like big WRs, but if this guy is fated to move to TE in the NFL, I don't see a need for him...

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
being 6'7" really makes it hard to gain seperation, esp. if you are going to be going up against NFL corners on a regular basis

but we'll see, he's one of those guys that Parcells said you can throw the ball to, and he'll just get it because he's so big, you can't really blanket a guy who blocks you out like the sun

burmafrd

Reaction score
charactor issues is big; beating on a woman is pretty extreme.
I only watched one Indiana game this year, vs Purdue, and cannot say that Hardy really impressed me.