Zoners: CrazyCowboy training camp observations

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
tchoice23;2861367 said:
I guess Mike Jenkins is having a great camp and thats why RW is not making big plays.

Yeah, this could be the case.

I think the first time Zoners see Roy Williams haul in a catch over his outside shoulder with one hand and tip-toe two feet inbounds for a first down, they'll shut up :)

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
RS12;2861381 said:
Yep this and the O Line depth are highly questionable. Second bad report on Stanback I read today, though one report said he was doing well. Sounds like he is less than 50/50 to be in a Cowboy uni the forth pre season game.

Yes, I have not touched on our LACK of Ol depth....and the rook injury just added to the obvious problem......I bet we are looking or should be at any Vets who get cut over money

tchoice23

Reaction score
CrazyCowboy;2861414 said:
Yes, I have not touched on our LACK of Ol depth....and the rook injury just added to the obvious problem......I bet we are looking or should be at any Vets who get cut over money

I was really disappointed that McQuistan was letting the pass rushers straight to the quarterback, today. How did he look to you, Crazy? Is Doug Free doing any good? Bigg was playing some plays as LT. I thought Doug Free is the backup LT.

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
tchoice23;2861421 said:
I was really disappointed that McQuistan was letting the pass rushers straight to the quarterback, today. How did he look to you, Crazy? Is Doug Free doing any good? Bigg was playing some plays as LT. I thought Doug Free is the backup LT.

McQuistan got destroyed on one play and did not look good at all.......he is not the same player BP gushed over.......and Free.....I did not notice anything on him.

tchoice23

Reaction score
CrazyCowboy;2861425 said:
McQuistan got destroyed on one play and did not look good at all.......he is not the same player BP gushed over.......and Free.....I did not notice anything on him.

Boy o Boy. In 2 years, a complete turnaround from a great OL, to this. I dont know what to think of Hudson Houck. He cannot be blamed for injuries.

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
tchoice23;2861428 said:
Boy o Boy. In 2 years, a complete turnaround from a great OL, to this. I dont know what to think of Hudson Houck. He cannot be blamed for injuries.

I do not believe it is his fault......we have not concentrated on OL in the draft and yrs ago when we did i.e. B Parcells picks like Rodger killed us .....where is that guy today?

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
Jerry should hire you as a talent scout, good report cc..:star:

speedkilz88

Reaction score
RS12;2861381 said:
Yep this and the O Line depth are highly questionable. Second bad report on Stanback I read today, though one report said he was doing well. Sounds like he is less than 50/50 to be in a Cowboy uni the forth pre season game.
If they keep five receivers the early race for the fifth spot seems to be between Stanback and Ogletree. The others haven't done much.

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
speedkilz88;2861447 said:
If they keep five receivers the early race for the fifth spot seems to be between Stanback and Ogletree. The others haven't done much.

If the coaches had to select today......It would be hands down Ogletree UNLESS ST's play is considered.....then 86 is in the mix.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Great job, CC, that was perfect.

Some people had mentioned no positive reports on Spencer, so it's good to see one from you.

monkey

Reaction score
CrazyCowboy;2861373 said:
Ref my report yesterday about #80.....he is the early MVP of camp if I had a vote.

I am super excited to hear about Bennett making such strides. He has all of the physical tools to be a huge factor in the offense. Just hope that a couple of other WRs keep developing.

Thanks for your great reports yesterday and today! It seems like such a long time till the first preseason game.

UnoDallas

Benched
Reaction score
quote=tchoice23;2861428]Boy o Boy. In 2 years, a complete turnaround from a great OL, to this. I dont know what to think of Hudson Houck. He cannot be blamed for injuries.[/quote]

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/john_lopez/07/29/rookies/

Searching for hidden rookie gems as team training camps open

Denver -- Blake Schlueter C (7th round, 225th overall), Broncos
Where have Broncos heard this before? Schlueter is an athletic, but somewhat short offensive lineman with a motor that won't stop and toughness that literally knocks opponents to (if not at) their knees.
Don't be surprised if Schlueter works his way to a productive 12- or 15-year career despite being taken so low in the draft. He ran an almost unheard-of 4.8-second 40-yard dash at his pro day. Thus far in Denver, coaches love every part of Schlueter's game

Green Bay -- T.J. Lang OG (4th round, 109th overall)
Lang already has quarterback Aaron Rodgers' stamp of approval. Rodgers raved about Lang's abilities during mini-camp, repeatedly crediting Lang for good work up front.
There is so much for Lang still to learn. The shoulder pads are just coming on. But at 6-4, 316-pounds, Lang has the footwork and power skills that could carry him a long way. Already, Packers coaches consider Lang a lock for significant playing time, if not a starting role.

I wanted TJ

Minnesota -- Phil Loadholt OT (2nd round, 54th overall)
Loadholt isn't much of a sleeper pick, per se. But he is expected to start on Opening Day.
That's asking a lot. This mammoth young man, however, already has matched his impressive size (6-foot-8, 332 pounds), with an impressive array of skills during off-season and OTA activities.
Vikings right tackle Ryan Cook was subpar on the right side last year. While Loadholt's size would indicate he might not have the quick feet to hand NFL rush ends. And that is one part of his game that needs work. But just watch. He can knock players off their feet with brute strength

San Diego -- Louis Vasquez G (3rd round, 78th overall)
The Chargers have not given the starting right guard position to Vasquez just yet, but they're dropping a lot of hints that Vasquez is everything and more than they imagined he'd be.
Norv Turner consistently has complimented Vasquez's athletic ability considering his size (6-5, 333 pounds), while teammates have talked about the professionalism and attitude Vasquez has brought from Texas Tech.
He'll battle it out with former Pro Bowler Kyle Forney, but don't bet against Vasquez. He could be another of those mid-round gems that pays off for a dozen years or more

ENGCowboy

Reaction score
UnoDallas;2861599 said:

Where have Broncos heard this before? Schlueter is an athletic, but somewhat short offensive lineman with a motor that won't stop and toughness that literally knocks opponents to (if not at) their knees.
Don't be surprised if Schlueter works his way to a productive 12- or 15-year career despite being taken so low in the draft. He ran an almost unheard-of 4.8-second 40-yard dash at his pro day. Thus far in Denver, coaches love every part of Schlueter's game

Lang already has quarterback Aaron Rodgers' stamp of approval. Rodgers raved about Lang's abilities during mini-camp, repeatedly crediting Lang for good work up front.
There is so much for Lang still to learn. The shoulder pads are just coming on. But at 6-4, 316-pounds, Lang has the footwork and power skills that could carry him a long way. Already, Packers coaches consider Lang a lock for significant playing time, if not a starting role.

I wanted TJ

Loadholt isn't much of a sleeper pick, per se. But he is expected to start on Opening Day.
That's asking a lot. This mammoth young man, however, already has matched his impressive size (6-foot-8, 332 pounds), with an impressive array of skills during off-season and OTA activities.
Vikings right tackle Ryan Cook was subpar on the right side last year. While Loadholt's size would indicate he might not have the quick feet to hand NFL rush ends. And that is one part of his game that needs work. But just watch. He can knock players off their feet with brute strength

The Chargers have not given the starting right guard position to Vasquez just yet, but they're dropping a lot of hints that Vasquez is everything and more than they imagined he'd be.
Norv Turner consistently has complimented Vasquez's athletic ability considering his size (6-5, 333 pounds), while teammates have talked about the professionalism and attitude Vasquez has brought from Texas Tech.
He'll battle it out with former Pro Bowler Kyle Forney, but don't bet against Vasquez. He could be another of those mid-round gems that pays off for a dozen years or more

Thats depressing!

Please don't post much more like that or I might not make it to the end of preseason before doing this

:bang2:

I would have taken both Loadholt and Lang but granted we have come away with some good quick rookies if reports are to be believed. Still wanted a couple of OL's from the draft and the one we did take is injured.

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
UnoDallas;2861599 said:
quote=tchoice23;2861428]Boy o Boy. In 2 years, a complete turnaround from a great OL, to this. I dont know what to think of Hudson Houck. He cannot be blamed for injuries.

I wanted TJ

He'll battle it out with former Pro Bowler Kyle Forney, but don't bet against Vasquez. He could be another of those mid-round gems that pays off for a dozen years or more[/QUOTE]

Amazing! That hurts........guess we just do not have enough draft pick :D

I just hope we do not have any injuries.....next yr we must draft lineman

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Oh Gawd... So teams are saying positive things about their draft picks before camp has even started... Yeah, that means we screwed up in not taking them. :rolleyes:

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2861767 said:
Oh Gawd... So teams are saying positive things about their draft picks before camp has even started... Yeah, that means we screwed up in not taking them. :rolleyes:

hey crazycowboy, keep up the good work posting buddy;
i was suppose to be at training camp with a friend, that promised to take me there personally, but didnt work out, for whatever reason.

wished i could be there, but your doing asuper job, thanks

dmq

If I'm so pretty, why am I available?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Joe Rod
CC, how is Buehler looking; worth the pick? Is he lining up on any other special teams units?

His leg strength is termendous--period.

I love the potential of this pick helping our st's .....field position will improve drastically....he looked accurate on his fgs' and they would of been 55 yds at least.......we will all love this pick one day.

This makes me think that Buehler will be our fg kicker for anything 50 yds or more. I wonder if we would ever consider trading Folk?

I know it is only the beginning of camp, but man do I wish Jerry had just kept the picks and drafted a WR or two. Detriot fleeced Jerry.