ZONERS: Defensive MVP

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
ZONERS:

I feel Greg Ellis is our mid season MVP on Defense. I cannot believe how well he is playing.

Do you agree?

:)

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
Upstate Ny Cowboys Fan;1767278 said:
Not even close, DeMarcus Ware is playing at an All-Pro Level. He makes plays all over the Field.

I agree with you about BeWare, my favorite player, however "Not even close"? Why not?

Reaction score
Ellis certainly makes our pass rush more formidible. But, Ware is a complete player that makes plays all over the field. Some of Ellis's sacks have come from Ware chasing the Quarterback to him. 16 Quaterback pressures and 52 tackles are tops in the NFC. Only Harrison from Pitt. has more tackles (57) from the sack leaders in the NFL. If one were lost to injury, who would you prefer it to be - Ware or Ellis. For me it's not close, even though i love Ellis as well.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Its Demarcus Ware but Greg Ellis is closing the gap fast.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
CrazyCowboy;1767271 said:
ZONERS:

I feel Greg Ellis is our mid season MVP on Defense. I cannot believe how well he is playing.

Do you agree?

I think Ellis is doing great but Ware is still my MVP right now.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
I think Tank Johnson is going to open up this defense to go on a torrid sack race. When I rewatched the game (Lovin the HD DVR) I was watching him closely. On passing downs, the only word I could think of was HAVOC. Even when they doubled him, he looked like a rabid dog trying to get through the line to take a bite out of the QB. I'm talking about hands flying everywhere and feet consistently moving. Even the way he goes down in the 3-point stance. He puts his other hand up near his face instead of keeping it back. I think that alone has to intimidate his offensive counterpart. Watch him next game, he is like a angry dog with rabbies. :laugh2:

Now, he had some issues on running plays though.

BARRYRAY

Reaction score
Ware is like TO, he make's the others look better than himself sometimes because of the attention he draws. If he's off the filed none of these other guys can get to the QB or on offense no one gets open without TO drawing the defense away. Ware is the best def. player in the NFL right now..

EPL0c0

The Funcooker
Reaction score
CrazyCowboy;1767271 said:
ZONERS:

Do you agree?

I agree w/ you, it's Ellis. The difference in the defense before he came back and after was obvious his first play of his first game when he got a sack. He brings leadership/energy to the team.

Not saying Ware isn't good enough, but Ellis just brings something else w/ him.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Yeagermeister;1767294 said:
Ware or Bradie James
Hard to argue for a player that only plays 2 downs, though he does play really well on those 2 downs.

aikemirv

Reaction score
It's Ware hands down.

Come on, Ellis. I mean he is getting sacks but he is no where close to doing everything on the field that Ware is doing!

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
theogt;1767470 said:
Hard to argue for a player that only plays 2 downs, though he does play really well on those 2 downs.

I give it a co-MVP thus far. Ware and Ellis. They have combined for 2.25 sacks per game (13.5 sacks in a six games) since Ellis' return and that doesn't include the sacks by other players. The Cowboys have averaged 3 sacks a game since Ellis return. Don't give Ellis all the credit. It takes two to tango. (Ware and Ellis)

Here is something to look at. The following are game sack counts and when our best pass rushers returned.

BLACK = Only Ware
RED = Ware and Ellis
BLUE = Ware, Ellis, and Tank

Code:
W1   W2   W3   W4   W5   W6   W7   W8   W9   W10   W11
 1    2    3    [COLOR="Red"]3    3    3    3    3    3     3[/COLOR]    [COLOR="Blue"] 5[/COLOR]

My point is, by the time this is over, it may not even be Co-Defense MVPs, there could be three of them. When Ellis came back, the defense pressure started to solidify. Now with Tank in the mix, it's getting down right ugly for opposing offenses. The Giants before last game had only given up 9 sacks. (the 5 we gave them is over half their entire total for the first have of the season) That as far as I know was only second to the Saints who has only given up 7 sacks so far. With Ware, Ellis, and Tank now evoking chaos on offensives, I think our sack total are going to skyrocket.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
nyc, I was referring to Bradie (re: 2 down comment). Ellis obviously plays all 4 downs.

But I can't agree with your co-MVP argument, though. If you take Ellis out, the dropoff is much greater than if you took Ware out. Hence, Ware is more valuable.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
theogt;1767527 said:
nyc, I was referring to Bradie (re: 2 down comment). Ellis obviously plays all 4 downs.

But I can't agree with your co-MVP argument, though. If you take Ellis out, the dropoff is much greater than if you took Ware out. Hence, Ware is more valuable.

My quote of you wasn't intentional. You will have to excuse that. I think you're wrong about Ware though. Based on games played and sack totals, if Ellis had played the entire year he would be on track for 17+ sacks. His normal average is around 8 and his career high is 9. This coming from a guy who is 32 yards old and coming off of a serious injury.

Without Ware they would double team Ellis as they always have and he would become about as effective as Ware was last year after he went down and as effective as Ware was this year before Ellis returned. Ware had 2 sacks in 3 games (both in the Chicago game) before Ellis returned.