ZONERS: Defensive MVP

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
nyc;1767551 said:
My quote of you wasn't intentional. You will have to excuse that. I think you're wrong about Ware though. Based on games played and sack totals, if Ellis had played the entire year he would be on track for 17+ sacks. His normal average is around 8 and his career high is 9. This coming from a guy who is 32 yards old and coming off of a serious injury.

Without Ware they would double team Ellis as they always have and he would become about as effective as Ware was last year after he went down and as effective as Ware was this year before Ellis returned. Ware had 2 sacks in 3 games (both in the Chicago game) before Ellis returned.
How did Ellis do as a sack artist before Ware ever showed up? My guess is he'd return to that form without Ware.

Teams this year aren't focusing on Ellis. They're shifting the line towards Ware. And Ellis is fortunately reaping the benefits.

And sacks are just half the game. Ellis cannot compare to Ware in terms of run defense and pass coverage.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
theogt;1767555 said:
How did Ellis do as a sack artist before Ware ever showed up? My guess is he'd return to that form without Ware.

Teams this year aren't focusing on Ellis. They're shifting the line towards Ware. And Ellis is fortunately reaping the benefits.

And sacks are just half the game. Ellis cannot compare to Ware in terms of run defense and pass coverage.

Ok, now you're confusing me. You said one thing, and now you are saying another. This is why I said co- defensive mvps because as a team they are fantastic. I also noted with the addition of Tank as a pass rusher that makes three guys that pretty much have to be double teamed.

The addition of Tank in this game caused a team that had only given up 9 sacks in 8 games give up 5 sacks in one. They just couldn't handled all the pass rushers. This is what freed up Canty and it helped free up Spencer for his sack.

btw, Ellis is pretty good against the run, but you are right. He doesn't compare to Ware in coverage.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
nyc;1767559 said:
Ok, now you're confusing me. You said one thing, and now you are saying another. This is why I said co- defensive mvps because as a team they are fantastic. I also noted with the addition of Tank as a pass rusher that makes three guys that pretty much have to be double teamed.

The addition of Tank in this game caused a team that had only given up 9 sacks in 8 games give up 5 sacks in one.
Yes, as a team they're fantastic. That doesn't mean one isn't more valuable than the other, though.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
theogt;1767561 said:
Yes, as a team they're fantastic. That doesn't mean one isn't more valuable than the other, though.

Who was better The Manster or Harvey Martin in Superbowl XII? :laugh2:

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
CrazyCowboy;1767271 said:
ZONERS:

I feel Greg Ellis is our mid season MVP on Defense. I cannot believe how well he is playing.

Do you agree?

:)

No, I don't.

DeMarcus Ware and Anthony Henry are both above him on that list.

dfense

Reaction score
I guess not getting noticed is a good thing for the FS position. Ken Hamlin is two Jason Campbell picks away from taking the league lead in picks by a safety. He's quietly solidified that secondary. He makes the defensive reads and calls. Long pass plays that were so frequent last year have disappeared this year. He's my DMPV.

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
Rack;1767715 said:
No, I don't.

DeMarcus Ware and Anthony Henry are both above him on that list.

Rack,

I can see DeMarcus but Henry, I will have to disagree with you on that one.