Zoners give Roy Williams time, he has bruised ribs! Give it a chance first!

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Double Trouble;3037257 said:
This is Roy Williams 6th year in the NFL.

How many years does it take to blossom? He has the talent. But something's just not right with him.

People wanted to write his inconsistency off to being in Detroit (I was hoping that was it), but with each passing game, he looks more and more like an average player.

When you're making $9M/year, and your team gives up a #1 & a #3 to get you, you better produce. And as someone noted in another thread, Miles Austin has produced in 2 weeks what it's taken Williams a year to produce in Dallas.

Williams will probably have a good game here or there and have some fans crowing that he just needed time, but the sad truth is that it's becoming evident he wasn't worth anywhere near 2 high draft picks, nor the huge contract he got.

He had two solid years in Detroit didn't he? Did he not make the Pro Bowl? He's played well in this league. I didn't think we were trading for a guy waiting to blossom. I thought we were trading for a guy who we thought would come back to form. If I would've known Roy still hasn't blossomed yet I don't think I would've done that trade. He has hurt ribs. Last season didn't he have foot problems? Regardless of the excuses I think we should atleast let the year play out. We don't have a choice to be honest. We gave up a part of our future because we thought Roy was our future.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
cowboyjoe;3037153 said:
Zoners roy williams has bruised ribs, for gosh sakes, give it some time. Let me tell you, bruised ribs arent fun. You cant breathe, every step you take is torture. Give roy williams some time.

I remember some of you were down on miles austin, now that austin is healthy look at what he is doing. Just give roy some time.

Even ex cowboys all pro CB Larry Brown said its pure torture and pain to have bruised ribs, every step you take, you cant breathe. So, just imagine trying to play with that kind of pain.

Nope no time. No love if you on the field perform otherwise get off the damn field.

ZeroClub

just trying to get better
Reaction score
Double Trouble;3037257 said:
This is Roy Williams 6th year in the NFL.

How many years does it take to blossom? He has the talent. But something's just not right with him.

People wanted to write his inconsistency off to being in Detroit (I was hoping that was it), but with each passing game, he looks more and more like an average player.

When you're making $9M/year, and your team gives up a #1 & a #3 to get you, you better produce. And as someone noted in another thread, Miles Austin has produced in 2 weeks what it's taken Williams a year to produce in Dallas.

Williams will probably have a good game here or there and have some fans crowing that he just needed time, but the sad truth is that it's becoming evident he wasn't worth anywhere near 2 high draft picks, nor the huge contract he got.

He's been disappointing so far. And if Roy Williams had been perfectly healthy during his entire time in Dallas, I'd probably be with you.

But last year, his foot was a problem. This year, a few weeks in, it's his ribs.

I want to see what a healthy Roy Williams can do in this offense (with a healthy Romo) over the course of six or seven games before deciding that Williams is an underachieving pretender.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Some of them want to use you
Some of them want to get used by you
Some of them want to abuse you
Some of them want to be abused

Hold your head up, movin' on
Keep your head up, movin' on
Hold your head up, movin' on
Keep your head up!

:violin:

Sweet dreams are made of this
Who am I to disagree?
Travel the world and the seven seas
Everybody's looking for something...

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
He is ailing? Poor dear.

I call it the Venus-Serena syndrome.
Whenever they lose a match they immediately refer to their "injuries." Thus taking away from the winner.

RW is not using this excuse, however, but if he's hurt, don't play. If you can't go 100%, stay on the bench. Incidentally, staying on the bench or playing, it's all the same. So who cares if he plays.
Well, I care because another WR is not being given the chance. like Ogle.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
JonJon;3037326 said:
This may sound crazy to some, but I'm glad Roy hasn't reached his potential yet with Romo. Why?

Because the team is finding ways to win even though Roy is struggling. When Romo and Roy do get on the right page, and believe me, they will, that will just be another element that other defenses will have to adjust for.

Imagine the scramble defenses will have to make if Roy gets into his rhythm as the playoffs approaches...

Austin is proving that he can be an explosive go-to target. So naturally, coverage and attention will start to flow his way.

This will only set up Roy to exploit the lack of attention his way.

Am I pleased with his production so far? No. But i do have confidence that he will get it together when it really counts.

Bingo!
Its a good thing. I am convinced.

I forsee ALOT of those patented 1st down celebrations by Roy :)

Hook'em#11

Reaction score
CATCH17;3037163 said:
Joe, Cowboys fans will write someone off quick.

You think Miles Austin would be in the position he is in today if it were left up to the fans?

Heck Romo wouldn't even be here.

Roy will have a big game eventually and people will have to find something else to complain about.

Right now my only beef is penalties. We still haven't fixed this problem and we will never get where we want to go if this issue isn't fixed.

Completely agree. The penalties are the killers. I think #11 will be fine. He will have his good games. I hope they come soon too. Be nice to have both him and Austin on the same page with Romo.

ArmyCowboy

Reaction score
We're going to have to give him a chance, like it or not, because he'll be our starting WR for the rest of the season at least.

I'm thinking and hoping every week that he has a "breakout" type game and I'll keep hoping for that as long as he's here on the team.

Org1

Reaction score
and not only because of his ribs

I don't know what you guys are seeing, but Roy gets open...a lot
When he is not open WIDE open he still has the ability to make the difficult catch

He didn't do it yesterday and had a few drops (very unusual for him when he gets his hands on the ball) but that doesn't mean he should get written off already

I understand the disappointment and anxiety in regards to him but at the same time you are all too reactionary

It's just a matter of time and hopefully it happens sooner than later
When it does happen, just think of how much better this team will be

6'3 WR with speed, hands and ridiculous jumping ability are not the norm, they are the exception

I fully believe that whatever is hampering him and Romo's connection will get fixed

Just wait and see

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
superpunk;3037239 said:
People have been excited about him for about three offseasons, and it's finally paying off. The point is that there is a large portion of our fan base that wrote him off as naught more than Randall Williams, and were hoping that the Jets would match his RFA tender so that we could have gotten a second round pick for him.

Cowboys fans are impatient and stupid, which is why they can't tolerate Roy Williams' pedestrian entry into Dallas.

I'm as frustrated as anyone with it - but I have a hunch it doesn't last. Defenses are going to start being scared of Austin. Then Roy heals up and starts getting in a rhythm? Look out.

I think the Roy Williams' issue is different

fans who wrote off Miles Austin don't understand a damn thing about football, that it takes young WRs a couple of years (although there are exceptions) to start to get it down and contribute

but with Roy, there was a lot of excitement attached to him coming here, because he was somewhat established, and not a young guy, fresh in the league

it doesn't hurt to keep around and develop a cheap, UDFA like Miles Austin; it however, does to keep around a still developing, 45 million dollar, veteran like Roy Williams, at least emotionally for fans

adbutcher

K9NME
Reaction score
casmith07;3037312 said:
Joe...I like what you're trying to say, but you're talking to the same people who less than 12 months ago were screaming for Mike Jenkins to be benched, cut, traded, he's a bum...now he's our best corner?

It's futile man...like talking to a brick wall!

Sad but true. Thankfully, the majority of the posters are not that way but the loud minority does give the illusion that they are every where.

UVAwahoos

Benched
Reaction score
cowboyjoe;3037153 said:
Zoners roy williams has bruised ribs, for gosh sakes, give it some time. Let me tell you, bruised ribs arent fun. You cant breathe, every step you take is torture. Give roy williams some time.

I remember some of you were down on miles austin, now that austin is healthy look at what he is doing. Just give roy some time.

Even ex cowboys all pro CB Larry Brown said its pure torture and pain to have bruised ribs, every step you take, you cant breathe. So, just imagine trying to play with that kind of pain.

I'm sorry, but Larry Brown was one of the worst DBs to ever play for this team. Neil O'Donnell threw him two passes in the Super Bowl, and he became famous. The guy got torched for a living. His opinion just doesn't matter.

Ranting aside...I'm not sure that Roy Williams ever was that good to begin with. Seems like a large flaw in talent evaluation on our GM's part.

We're all waiting for something that maybe he just doesn't have to begin with.

UVAwahoos

Benched
Reaction score
casmith07;3037312 said:
Joe...I like what you're trying to say, but you're talking to the same people who less than 12 months ago were screaming for Mike Jenkins to be benched, cut, traded, he's a bum...now he's our best corner?

It's futile man...like talking to a brick wall!

I like the optimism behind this post, but the thing about Jenkins is that he's young and still has to learn the game. It would've been idiotic to write him off so quickly.

Roy doesn't have those excuses to hide behind. Crabtree had a better game than Roy yesterday, and the dude sat out all of training camp. It should only take so long to gel with a QB.

I think the Roy situation was a serious flaw in talent evaluation from our typically amazing GM. It's possible that this guy never quite had the "IT" factor.

garyv

Reaction score
Let me say this that Miles Austin wasn't even the best during the preseason it was Kevin Ogletree.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
garyv;3037792 said:
Let me say this that Miles Austin wasn't even the best during the preseason it was Kevin Ogletree.
Are you Kevin Ogletree???

garyv

Reaction score
6'3 WR with speed, hands and ridiculous jumping ability are not the norm, they are the exception

Huh....... good speed? good hands?

this makes me laugh when talking about Roy Williams. His speed is not that good and his hands are questionable. He can't get separation from his defenders in order to get the easy catches. His jumping ability is his only asset and you can't jump all the way down field. I'll say this again and agin that the Cowboys Offense would be much better with Miles Austin at the #1, Kevin Ogletree at the #2 and Patrick Crayton in the slot at #3. Roy Williams is the #4 Wideout on this Football Team and the Cowboys are trying to push him to be something he is not because they don't want to admit they screwed that Trade up giving a #1 and #3 when at best he was worth only a 2nd Round Draft pick.