Zoners: How could we let this happen?

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
Zoners:

I DO NOT understand how such a great and proud organization could do such a poor job recently of evaluating OFFENSIVE LINE talent!

Who do we blame?

******......:banghead:

SDCowboy

Reaction score
I don't understand how the line coach never get's any of the blame. As horrid as the line is, they're still pro players. I can't believe they are naturally this bad and it's 100% on them. The oline coach needs to lose his job at the end of this season if this persists.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
I don't think we're doing that bad now. Robert Brewster, Travis Bright and Phil Costa seem to be finds.

And we can't forget about Doug Free who is faring very well, and may be our best lineman. We drafted and developed him into what looks like to be a very capable starter.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Spend a lot of picks on skill positions and you don't have many left for the trenches.

Sucks but that' the way it is.

"Once bitten, twice shy" might be the way Jerry approaches the line. There have been some failures to pick up OL through the draft and I wonder if he would rather not spend the money and picks at that area.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Hoofbite;3520405 said:
Spend a lot of picks on skill positions and you don't have many left for the trenches.

Sucks but that' the way it is.

"Once bitten, twice shy" might be the way Jerry approaches the line. There have been some failures to pick up OL through the draft and I wonder if he would rather not spend the money and picks at that area.

Our approach to the line hasn't been that different than the approach to WR or even QB.

The only position that we've gone overboard in drafting on is TE and OLB.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
SDCowboy85;3520393 said:
I don't understand how the line coach never get's any of the blame. As horrid as the line is, they're still pro players. I can't believe they are naturally this bad and it's 100% on them. The oline coach needs to lose his job at the end of this season if this persists.

The kicker is that if the line plays like this, the head coach might well lose his job.

And since Garrett is the heir apparent, and Houck was "his" hire, Houck might actually stay.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;3520408 said:
Our approach to the line hasn't been that different than the approach to WR or even QB.

The only position that we've gone overboard in drafting on is TE and OLB.

Well, there's been some high picks in the Secondary.

Roy, Newman, Jenkins.

Decent picks at RB. Both Jones' in the last few years. Julius a 2nd, Felix a 1st.

And then there is the TE. Two 2nd rounders on a TE.

OLB early on has panned out well.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;3520413 said:
The kicker is that if the line plays like this, the head coach might well lose his job.

And since Garrett is the heir apparent, and Houck was "his" hire, Houck might actually stay.

What a treat that would be.

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
Hoofbite;3520499 said:
What a treat that would be.
I still haven't seen anything that makes me believe this group of players can win a Superbowl with Wade and Garrett as coaches.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
http://i356.***BLOCKED***/albums/oo4/DallasEast1701/General%20Gifs/2757033f.gif​

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Hoofbite;3520498 said:
Well, there's been some high picks in the Secondary.

Roy, Newman, Jenkins.

Decent picks at RB. Both Jones' in the last few years. Julius a 2nd, Felix a 1st.

And then there is the TE. Two 2nd rounders on a TE.

OLB early on has panned out well.

True that. But I don't think we can do anything with the line as long as Gurode is the shot-caller there. Our approach to the line is fine. Look at some of the best lines in the business. Look at the Colt's line. Their only former 1st round pick on the line is currently a backup. Tony Ugoh. They're pretty good as a group.

Difference is that Jeff Saturday is smart.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;3520413 said:

They should have just let Wade hire his O-line coach from the beginning.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
DallasEast;3520511 said:
http://i356.***BLOCKED***/albums/oo4/DallasEast1701/General Gifs/2757033f.gifhttp://i356.***BLOCKED***/albums/oo4/DallasEast1701/General%20Gifs/2757033f.gif​

http://img825.*************/img825/3162/pikachupunch.gif

jnday

Reaction score
theogt;3520516 said:
They should have just let Wade hire his O-line coach from the beginning.

:hammer: Wade should have been able to bring his own staff if he was going to answer for their failings. Houck`s o-lines have shown the last few years that they lack the ability to handle stunts and blitzes. Wade is in a position where he can`t make a change due to Jerry. I don`t know who Wade had in mind but it would be an improvement over Houck.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
jnday;3520534 said:
:hammer: Wade should have been able to bring his own staff if he was going to answer for their failings. Houck`s o-lines have shown the last few years that they lack the ability to handle stunts and blitzes. Wade is in a position where he can`t make a change due to Jerry. I don`t know who Wade had in mind but it would be an improvement over Houck.
For some reason, I can't recall his name at the moment. He was another well respected coach -- I think he was with San Diego at the time.

Edit: Mike Solari was the guy that Wade wanted.

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
theogt;3520543 said:
For some reason, I can't recall his name at the moment. He was another well respected coach -- I think he was with San Diego at the time.

I heard it was Mike Solari who was in Dallas in the 1980s and most recently with the Chiefs and Seahawks.