Zoners: How fast is Dez realllllly?

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
The Grand Oracle of Answers told me he runs a 4.17. The Grand Oracle of Answers just didn't tell me how far he ran when he was timed. :)

Concord

Mr. Buckeye
Reaction score
CrazyCowboy;3376751 said:
Dez Bryant, Oklahoma State

Bryant
Height: 6-2
Weight: 225
40 time: 4.58
Short shuttle: 4.48
3-cone: 7.21
Vertical: 38”
Broad jump: 11’01”
225lb bench: n/a
Starts: 19
Receptions: 147
Yards: 2,425
Avg.: 16.50
TDs: 29
;)

Zoners: Is Dez really that slow? 4.58? I saw utube videos and Dez sure looks 4.4 minimum......guess he is football fast.....just outruns the guy chasing him--right?

tortoise.jpg

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I don't get caught up in combine numbers every year before the combine everyone here is talking about how over rated the 40 time is yet as soon as the number are posted it seems to be the be all about the player. Irvin was no more than a 4.5 40 range runner how a guy accelerated in and out of his break, how they come back to the ball using their body to shield the defender and their ability to break tackles is more important that what some guy does in short pants in a straight line run.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Like Irvin, he's fast enough. There is a lot more to this game than straight line speed.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
I'm a great believer in the running with pads theory. Big strong guys run faster in pads than do 180 pound corner backs. I always wished they would have the players run in full pads for their 40 times at the combine.

QT

Reaction score
Alexander;3377485 said:
Like Irvin, he's fast enough. There is a lot more to this game than straight line speed.

Irvin wasn't fast enough. That's why he got tackled at the 1 or 2 yard line and Emmitt would get such a high TD count :)

HoosierCowboy

Put Pearson in the HOF
Reaction score
Jarv;3377490 said:
I'm a great believer in the running with pads theory. Big strong guys run faster in pads than do 180 pound corner backs. I always wished they would have the players run in full pads for their 40 times at the combine.

and have guys chasing them--and really, that is a big part of it--it's not just straight speed: a receiver can make a little cut here and a change of direction there to avoid being tacked by much faster DBs

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
rkell87;3376777 said:
[youtube]smZ3Lvpf3-M[/youtube]

this video puts him up against jordan shipley, and mardy gilyard who ran in the same 40 range, and they get similar times here, so yeah i guess

The comments at 2:30 in this video gives me a quarter chub.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Texas_Pete;3377335 said:
All I care is if he has game speed. Jerry Rice didn't run a 4.4 40, but you would never know it. :)
Actually Rice did run a 4.40 which was the time Gil Brandt said last year in an article is what they had on him.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
QT;3377724 said:
Irvin wasn't fast enough. That's why he got tackled at the 1 or 2 yard line and Emmitt would get such a high TD count :)
He was a little faster(or quicker) as a rookie. He lost a little from the knee injury.

Silverstar

Reaction score
texbumthelife;3377017 said:
Roy Williams has had some spectacular one handed grabs... Im just sayin'

Out of curiosity, I did some highlight searching on Roy (college and pro) and those (the 3 that I found), either landed on his forearm first or were trapped in his chest with one hand.
None though, were as good as the one Bryant had in 2008. Actually, the best "one handed grab" I found for Bryant were from his H.S. days in 2005!

There are two in the video...at 1:20 (WOW!) and another at 2:40.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cc6r3rrPh0g

Enjoy all :)

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
CanuckCowboysFan;3376776 said:
at his pro day he got timed as low as 4.47 and as high as 4.68. None official times.

But on tape he plays much faster. When he gets into the open field good luck.

Bingo! Thats who Dez is, he plays with heart, and when he puts on that football uniform, he plays faster on the field, just like a Jerry Rice or a Emmitt Smith or a Franco Harris, they didnt time fast, but when they got on the field,they were faster, and played with heart, something you cant time or judge. That is who Dez is, he has a ton of natural ability. Just like Michael Irvin he wasnt that fast either in timing for the 40, but when he stepped on the field, he played with heart, grit, confidence, grit and God given ability. You can never judge that speed or time it.

Reaction score
How fast a wide receiver is, might be the 5th or 6th most important factor in how good they are. Dez looks to me like a guy who has great body control, hands, and attacks the ball in the air and can adjust to it. Those are the things that can make a guy elite.

Seriously, just imagine what 1/10 of a second really is. If you put a 4.4 guy and a 4.5 guy next to each other and make them run a sprint, they will look like they're almost crossing the finish line at the same time. Not to mention, as has been noted numerous times, speed with pads on is very different, and also having good instincts and agility trump straight line speed, because making guys miss is what creates most long TDs, not just running past people.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Joshmvii;3378313 said:
How fast a wide receiver is, might be the 5th or 6th most important factor in how good they are. Dez looks to me like a guy who has great body control, hands, and attacks the ball in the air and can adjust to it. Those are the things that can make a guy elite.

Seriously, just imagine what 1/10 of a second really is. If you put a 4.4 guy and a 4.5 guy next to each other and make them run a sprint, they will look like they're almost crossing the finish line at the same time. Not to mention, as has been noted numerous times, speed with pads on is very different, and also having good instincts and agility trump straight line speed, because making guys miss is what creates most long TDs, not just running past people.

I agree depending the WR. Face it if you are a small WR or less physical WR you better be able to bring speed to the game. For instance DeSean Jackson at 5'10" 175 speed is his game. As for Bryant he is bigger WR but has good speed not a track star speed but he bring other elements to the table. Bottom line playmakers can come in different packages with different skill set

Reaction score
Doomsday101;3378349 said:
I agree depending the WR. Face it if you are a small WR or less physical WR you better be able to bring speed to the game. For instance DeSean Jackson at 5'10" 175 speed is his game. As for Bryant he is bigger WR but has good speed not a track star speed but he bring other elements to the table. Bottom line playmakers can come in different packages with different skill set

You're definitely right about Jackson, but I would argue that his speed is the only thing he has, and if you are a combine evaluator you'd think he was the next T.O. because of the speed, but the fact is he has put up pretty pedestrian numbers for a guy who gets the hype he does, and it's because he's easy to take out of a game. Bryant reminds me more of a guy like Fitzgerald, who has a whole toolbox, but not the gamebreaking speed that people are so high on.

rkell87

Reaction score
Silverstar;3378209 said:
Out of curiosity, I did some highlight searching on Roy (college and pro) and those (the 3 that I found), either landed on his forearm first or were trapped in his chest with one hand.
None though, were as good as the one Bryant had in 2008. Actually, the best "one handed grab" I found for Bryant were from his H.S. days in 2005!

There are two in the video...at 1:20 (WOW!) and another at 2:40.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cc6r3rrPh0g

Enjoy all :)
block @ 4:39 is sick

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Joshmvii;3378598 said:
You're definitely right about Jackson, but I would argue that his speed is the only thing he has, and if you are a combine evaluator you'd think he was the next T.O. because of the speed, but the fact is he has put up pretty pedestrian numbers for a guy who gets the hype he does, and it's because he's easy to take out of a game. Bryant reminds me more of a guy like Fitzgerald, who has a whole toolbox, but not the gamebreaking speed that people are so high on.

I'm just saying speed is the name of the game for small and less physical WR. Only way you will back corners off is if they fear you will blow by them without the speed Jackson would get manhandled every time. Bigger WR can handle the physical play many of them may not run the 4.3 but for them the name of the game is not pure speed they have more physical skill they can rely on and still have enough speed to take it the distance one they break free.