Zoners: How fast is Dez realllllly?

sonnyboy

Benched
Reaction score
LehighCowboy;3376831 said:
I'd argue that it is much more important indicator of explosiveness and "game speed" than a player's 40 time. If you pay attention to WR/CB battles during games, you will see that a WR usually gains the most separation from the corner within the first 10 to 15 yards of the route. Couple this with a player's route running ability (Dez, like Miles Austin, runs very precise routes) and hands (Dez has VERY good hands, especially in traffic) and you get the three most important areas that a player must excel in, in order to succeed as a WR at the NFL level.

I think the 10 yard split is the most important measurable. I think it may explain why so many players like Rice seemed so much faster than their 40 time.

Another theory I have on this is the weight of a players equipment. May not seem like much but 30-40 lbs makes a difference.
I'm sure every NFL prospect ever tested, ran faster and jumped higher in shorts. Stronger players perhaps lose less ability in pads than others.

If I were king of the combine, every player would test in full pads. I don't care how high you can jump in shorts. Show me what you can do in full pads.

hammer1

Reaction score
Dez is faster than Jerry Rice and Emmitt Smith. With all his other attributes...his speed is non factor.

Hammer

LehighCowboy

Reaction score
hammer1;3376997 said:
Dez is faster than Jerry Rice and Emmitt Smith. With all his other attributes...his speed is non factor.

Hammer

I think his speed is a HUGE factor. He is the fastest receiver in the draft in the first 10 yards and it shows on his game film. I am still in awe that people still equate 40 time with football speed. True explosiveness is measured within the first 10 to 20 yards of a route, as players rarely, if ever, run 40 yards in a straight line. While his 40 time is rather average for a receiver, his 10 yard split, and, thus, his "game speed," is elite. There is a reason why he simply seems to explode by defenders in his highlight films, especially on quick outs and punt returns ---- he is VERY VERY fast. And not only is he fast and explosive, he runs INCREDIBLE routes.

People also keep bringing up Jerry Rice's name in arguments like this all the time --- I'm willing to be that Jerry Rice had an elite 10 yard split, as well.

JackMagist

The Great Communicator
Reaction score
One thing people tend to not recognize is that track speed (in shorts and track shoes) is way different than football speed (in full pads with football cleats). Some guys can really burn it up on the track but look like they are running in slow motion in pads. Some guys (usually big strong guys) can carry the pads nearly as fast as they can run on the track. From what I've seen Dez is one of those guys who can carry the pads at damn near his top speed. That makes him FAST on the football field and that is what really counts here.

rkell87

Reaction score
sonnyboy;3376969 said:
I think the 10 yard split is the most important measurable. I think it may explain why so many players like Rice seemed so much faster than their 40 time.

Another theory I have on this is the weight of a players equipment. May not seem like much but 30-40 lbs makes a difference.
I'm sure every NFL prospect ever tested, ran faster and jumped higher in shorts. Stronger players perhaps lose less ability in pads than others.

If I were king of the combine, every player would test in full pads. I don't care how high you can jump in shorts. Show me what you can do in full pads.
helmet- 6-8lbs
shoulder pads- 3lbs
thigh pads- 1/2 lbs together
knee, hip, and tail pad- 1/2 lbs together

they arent hauling a ruck sack around

Hoofbite

Reaction score
rkell87;3376777 said:
[youtube]smZ3Lvpf3-M[/youtube]

this video puts him up against jordan shipley, and mardy gilyard who ran in the same 40 range, and they get similar times here, so yeah i guess

That's a pretty inexact measuring stick.

poost

Reaction score
Does anybody know the exact size or have a picture of Dez's hands? I heard they are humongous, somewhere around 11 inches or something.

LehighCowboy

Reaction score
Just to show you how explosive Dez really is, lets compare him to a player widely thought of as one of the fastest receivers in the league -- Pay particular attention to the numbers in bold.

Desean Jackson

40 Yrd Dash: 4.27
20 Yrd Dash: 2.52
10 Yrd Dash: 1.53
Vertical Jump: 34 1/2
Broad Jump: 10'02"

Dez Bryant

40 Yrd Dash: 4.52
20 Yrd Dash: 2.58
10 Yrd Dash: 1.52
Vertical Jump: 38
Broad Jump: 11'1"

Reaction score
If you watch both of them that shows. Once Jackson gets going he is gone like felix jones. Both of them had plenty of tds last year that proved that.

Dez and to etc showed their initial burst when they played . interesting stats .

rkell87

Reaction score
LehighCowboy;3377162 said:
Just to show you how explosive Dez really is, lets compare him to a player widely thought of as one of the fastest receivers in the league -- Pay particular attention to the numbers in bold.

Desean Jackson

40 Yrd Dash: 4.27
20 Yrd Dash: 2.52
10 Yrd Dash: 1.53
Vertical Jump: 34 1/2
Broad Jump: 10'02"

Dez Bryant

40 Yrd Dash: 4.52
20 Yrd Dash: 2.58
10 Yrd Dash: 1.52
Vertical Jump: 38
Broad Jump: 11'1"

how do you fade off by almost 3/10 in the last 20 on that pace i wonder?

hammer1

Reaction score
LehighCowboy;3377031 said:
I think his speed is a HUGE factor. He is the fastest receiver in the draft in the first 10 yards and it shows on his game film. I am still in awe that people still equate 40 time with football speed. True explosiveness is measured within the first 10 to 20 yards of a route, as players rarely, if ever, run 40 yards in a straight line. While his 40 time is rather average for a receiver, his 10 yard split, and, thus, his "game speed," is elite. There is a reason why he simply seems to explode by defenders in his highlight films, especially on quick outs and punt returns ---- he is VERY VERY fast. And not only is he fast and explosive, he runs INCREDIBLE routes.

People also keep bringing up Jerry Rice's name in arguments like this all the time --- I'm willing to be that Jerry Rice had an elite 10 yard split, as well.

I agree completely.

LehighCowboy

Reaction score
rkell87;3377196 said:
how do you fade off by almost 3/10 in the last 20 on that pace i wonder?

Dez does not "fade off," rather he simply hits top gear much faster than Desean does. This is precisely what makes Dez so dangerous on short to intermediate routes. Also, note the discrepancy between their vertical jumps and broad jumps. This goes to show you how strong Dez's legs are and how he, like Miles, is able to break some many tackles and explode after making the catch.

Based on his physical attributes, I believe we should be expecting him to run a lot of short to intermediate routes, along with a lot of fade routes, due to his advantage in jump ball situations.

JustDezIt

Formerly sm0kie13 ROY
Reaction score
poost;3377079 said:
Does anybody know the exact size or have a picture of Dez's hands? I heard they are humongous, somewhere around 11 inches or something.

They look pretty damn big here.
http://img193.*************/img193/1156/042310bryant.gif

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Cowboysfan570;3377259 said:
9 and 3/4 inches is the number I've seen. They're huge even if they aren't 11 inches.

Hi. I'm Steve Stiffler, and I have an 11 inch *****...around! Think about it.

lol I love that movie to death.

DallasDomination

Reaction score
40 yard times are overrated. Dez is fast on the football field and that's all that matters.

Texas_Pete

Reaction score
All I care is if he has game speed. Jerry Rice didn't run a 4.4 40, but you would never know it. :)

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
The thing is Dez runs a 4.42, even with all the BS that happened pre draft, he probably isn't there for us. It really took the perfect storm to make him available to us.

Is he the next Fitzgerald? I have no idea, and I'm not going to speculate but receivers with his resume don't last till the 24th pick without some other stuff going on.