Zoners: I am not buying the Rico Crap!

3rd_n_inches

Reaction score
I think taking a chance on Rico meant creating a new type of TE. They will have to utilize him for what he is best at doing and I think they will try that method out before just cutting him. I don’t think we really know what they are trying to accomplish with him.

Toro9

Reaction score
It was always a project. If he’d had better make-up and football IQ potential...it just might have worked. He hasn’t translated his size and strength into blocking power.
Might've also helped if he hadn't spent all flipping year on IR for a concussion suffered in TC. That move continues to perplex me.

davidariust24

Reaction score
I watched ALL of TE Rico Gathers highlights last year before his unfortunate injury and he played "lights out"! He is a man child. Dude can run with a huge body and big hands like no one else. He cannot be covered!

Recently, Coach Garrett mentioned ALL tight ends on the team EXCEPT Rico to the media. I smell a BIG RAT, in the respect that Rico is INDEED Coach Garretts "Favorite TE"
starspin.gif
on the team! I personally believe, the coach got upset with Rico claiming to be so great on twitter....bragging etc. before he had actually done anything. I like what the coach is doing, getting his attention to focus on the team and keep humble.

From Todd Archer: The good of Rico Gathers: he made a nice adjustment on a back-shoulder throw from Cooper Rush. The bad of Rico Gathers: He had a false start in the final compete period and was sent to the sideline.

Rico is having a very good camp so far, and I believe his only downside is experience and focus. If he can stay mentally focused on the field (i.e. NO off sides/missed routes etc.) and keep out of the media then our coach has HUGE RICO plans this year!

Am I Crazy for thinking this way?

GO COWBOYS SUPER BOWL BOUND!
I like Rico. He has all the physical tools. He is raw much like Dez was coming out of school. He has started playing football again after so many years of not playing. He is slowing becoming and thinking like a football player and not a basketball player. He has to unlearn little things he learned playing basketball and relearn and apply different techniques that apply to football. In basketball if you are running a pick and roll with The PG and the Center from the top of the key , they don't need the power forward to go post by the basket bringing his man. What I'm saying is he doesn't know how to setup or how to counter defenders on routes because he probably doesnt fully understand what every one else's responsibility is on every play and how they can counter. He has to go where he can help Dak and not go to an area where his man or another teammates man can make a play on the ball and he needs to know that he isn't the only one trying to get the ball but he needs to play within the coaches play or concept. When I watch him it's like he feels like all he has to do is get open and play by himself. No you have teammates who are trying to get open as a well. And you don't want to make them detour or get in their way all the time. Some plays require you to think on your feet and that's what u think he downstairs have quite yet. I don't know how much of a professional he is on and off the field and in the class room, but thats what Jason Garrett loves he lives guys who want to set an example and not just be your own man doing what you want, even if you're good. If Rico can become a pro, learn not just what he needs to to but the team is doing in each play and on top of that become a blocker. He is going to be a star because he has the raw tools.

superonyx

Reaction score
While neither of them set the world on fire, at least Swaim and Jarwin got some snaps during the regular season… You know, in games the counted.

The message is simple… People shouldn’t go bat crap crazy over how Rico performed in the preseason. It’s one thing to be optimistic about his ability, it’s quite another to pronounce him as the second coming.
Neither Jarwin or Swaim have ever set the world on fire since leaving high school....i'm not sure they even set high school football on fire.

There doesnt have to be extremes in regards to Rico. The problem this Rico debate has is you have some fans who take another fan being optimistic as that fan saying Rico is going to be all pro. I don't think anyone is saying this yet i cant help but wonder if this is how some are framing others positions regarding Rico.

If someone wants to cheer for the guy and hopes he can show more of the pass catching dominance as he showed last preseason then great.
So far in 2 preseason games against high level college players Rico has shown potential to make an impact.
The rest of our TE's havent shown anything to get excited for at any level. (receiving).

9of11

Reaction score
Sounds like a whole lot of negative speculation on your part based on no evidence.
Interesting that a cowboys fan would spit such venom towards a cowboys player without knowing.
You asked questions and without answers just turned this man you don’t even know into a lazy attitude problem guy.

I find this weird.
Change my mind...give me proof...how has he improved? He's got the same issues he had when he signed with us......what three years and going on no snaps in games...proof....change my mind...if you have proof...

superonyx

Reaction score
Change my mind...give me proof...how has he improved? He's got the same issues he had when he signed with us......what three years and going on no snaps in games...proof....change my mind...if you have proof...
Nice try but thats not how this works.
You dont get to assassinate someones character or say something that you just made up and pulled out of your butt and ask someone else to prove your not correct.

You can choose to think what you want about this person neither of us even knows.
It says more about you that it does about him.

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
I watched ALL of TE Rico Gathers highlights last year before his unfortunate injury and he played "lights out"! He is a man child. Dude can run with a huge body and big hands like no one else. He cannot be covered!

Recently, Coach Garrett mentioned ALL tight ends on the team EXCEPT Rico to the media. I smell a BIG RAT, in the respect that Rico is INDEED Coach Garretts "Favorite TE"
starspin.gif
on the team! I personally believe, the coach got upset with Rico claiming to be so great on twitter....bragging etc. before he had actually done anything. I like what the coach is doing, getting his attention to focus on the team and keep humble.

From Todd Archer: The good of Rico Gathers: he made a nice adjustment on a back-shoulder throw from Cooper Rush. The bad of Rico Gathers: He had a false start in the final compete period and was sent to the sideline.

Rico is having a very good camp so far, and I believe his only downside is experience and focus. If he can stay mentally focused on the field (i.e. NO off sides/missed routes etc.) and keep out of the media then our coach has HUGE RICO plans this year!

Rico will make the 53... IF Swaim, Jarwin or Shutz are injured in TC and lost for the season. That's the only way Rico makes the 53 imo

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I just don't get the risk \ reward expectations. You know roster spots are the ultimate currency. Why take these kinds of risks knowing you may be forced to flush the investment before any reasonable person would have expected the investment to produce significant returns?

A relevant difference between Jaylon and Rico is that 6th round picks are inherently bubble players in the first place. The kind of guys you cut, and hope to get back on the PS.

Also, though we've looking for that post up TE for years, and Rico fits the mold, maybe the increased premium on route running and separation at WR applies to TE too, and they're just place less value on that kind of player.

With 3 years of rights left, unless they think he really stinks and ain't never gonna catch on, it's hard to square the pick in the first place with dropping him now. Maybe it's that change in priorities.

I am souring on a guy who reportedly doesn't know his assignments but goes around thinking he's like Gronk.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
Rico is the only TE to actually have any receiving highlights out of the 4 TE's on the roster but he supposedly can't play lol. The logic is amazing.

9of11

Reaction score
Nice try but thats not how this works.
You dont get to assassinate someones character or say something that you just made up and pulled out of your butt and ask someone else to prove your not correct.

You can choose to think what you want about this person neither of us even knows.
It says more about you that it does about him.
Take off the rosey glasses and look at reality....all you got is insult and no proof....or else you wouldn't be calling names.....proof...you cant provide any...but you can sure call names...i'll give you that....but that's all you have....

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Rico weighed 265 when drafted. Last month there were a number of reports that he'd gained 20 pounds. Story here:
https://www.12up.com/posts/6086881-cowboys-te-rico-gathers-has-put-on-a-concerning-amount-of-weight

One can be quite sure the Cowboys coaches weren't asking him to gain that weight!

If he can contribute more than the other tight ends then I'd like him to make the team. Prospects of that happening don't look good.

He got up to 290 his rookie year according to comments he made.

The reports I've seen this offseason were that he had lost weight and was about 265.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

starspin.gif

There seems to be no middle ground with fans on this player.

He is the type that will look great in "highlights".

It is the non-highlight plays that need to be evaluated.

He made a lot of mistakes as a blocker last preseason and some as a receiver.

He has MartyB physical ability. He can physically dominate as a blocker on some plays but completely fail on several others due to mental mistakes.

In regards to blocking, the Cowboys in the time since MartyB have preferred precision blockers over physically better but mistake prone blockers. In when MB was here, he lost many snaps to the far physically inferior John Phillips.

I do agree that the coaches might be ignoring him on purpose because he lacks self-awareness to know that he has not achieved anything. They only used MB for simple inline blocking. Anything more complicated was given to Phillips.

The in your face approach with MartyB didn't work.

At this point he seems like a clone of MartyB both physically and mentally; however, MartyB had years of football experience that Rico didn't obtain.

superonyx

Reaction score
Take off the rosey glasses and look at reality....all you got is insult and no proof....or else you wouldn't be calling names.....proof...you cant provide any...but you can sure call names...i'll give you that....but that's all you have....
Proof of what?
Are you delusional?
What am I supposed to be proving?

You are the one who called Rico a bunch of names.

9of11

Reaction score
Proof of what?
Are you delusional?
What am I supposed to be proving?

You are the one who called Rico a bunch of names.
Results, I used the wrong word...he needs to start showing results....What I dont want is another, I think his name is Manuel Johnson (wide receiver), if that his name...remember where he stayed on the Cowboys for five years and could never get on the field but we kept him because of his potential...dont want another player like...relax dude Geesh!