Zoners: I am not buying the Rico Crap!

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
I don’t watch a lot of college ball so I am not familiar with him or how good he was in college. I heard he has a strong arm. Not sure about accuracy.
His deep accuracy is much better than Daks and I'm a fan of Dak

NotForLong

Reaction score
Rico looked great last preseason...playing against future grocery baggers and burger flippers.

One of my favorite oxymorons...preseason highlights.
Just because these kids didnt make the roster doesnt mean they dont have talent. His performance was outstanding and it's not a knock against him. No matter how cynical and sarcastic you are.

Flipping hamburgers and bagging groceries. Wow just because they didnt make the most elite league in the world with limited roster space they are garbage.

And Gathers is a fraud for shinning in the limited opportunity he was given. And I guess when he was tearing up our defense on the scout team, with my boy Romo throwing to him. Well I guess that doesnt count either.

The kid is blessed with talent and theres a spot in the NFL for him. Just not with the Cowboys. Because of his blocking and the number of te vying for a roster spot. Theres a lot of talent across the board. We may carry 3 Qb. Whose the odd man out at RB DE Wr.

There are decisions that will have to be made. I am not so sure the Cowboys can continue with the Rico project. I expect him to shine once again this preseason. If we cut him hes not making it past waivers

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
The kid is blessed with talent and theres a spot in the NFL for him. Just not with the Cowboys. Because of his blocking and the number of te vying for a roster spot. Theres a lot of talent across the board.

We have one of the worst, if not the worst TE groups in the league. If he can't make it here, he isn't going to make it.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Only way he makes the team is if we keep 4 TEs. With possibly 3 QBs, 4 RBs, FB, 6 WR it's hard to see 4 TEs
Yea, there's no way they keep 4 TEs, they're more likely to keep 7 WR, especially if they're moving to a lot more 10 personnel.

But if they are moving to a lot more 10 personnel, then I don't know how Rico wouldn't have an edge. He doesn't need to be a great route runner. If he's a better mismatch guy than either Jarwin or Schultz, then I think you keep him.

Jipper

Reaction score
We have one of the worst, if not the worst TE groups in the league. If he can't make it here, he isn't going to make it.

Don't know that you can call it the worst...id say it's one of the most unknown or unestablished. ..but that doesn't mean they are bad

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
Don't know that you can call it the worst...id say it's one of the most unknown or unestablished. ..but that doesn't mean they are bad

Their #1 TE has 9 catches in 3 years, followed by an undrafted player who dressed for 1 game last year, a 4th round blocking TE, and a guy who hasn't played organized football since middle school.

Jipper

Reaction score
Their #1 TE has 9 catches in 3 years, followed by an undrafted player who dressed for 1 game last year, a 4th round blocking TE, and a guy who hasn't played organized football since middle school.

When you are sitting behind the goat of all time it's hard to get on the field...like I said they are simply unknown...we will find out very shortly if they have the talent or dont...

Gangsta Spanksta

Reaction score
That's exactly what will happen. Pet cats will be cut or traded, some will not make the practice squad and we will have to listen how terrible the front office is for cutting those guys
And then they will complain when a pet cat gets picked up by another team instead of being able to stash them away on the practice squad. That despite the other team probably cutting them soon after. I mean when you're on the bottom of the barrel in the NFL, you don't usually catch the breaks.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Just read another article about Rico not looking good in camp.
He barrels...and it looks painful to stop

After years of Witten never dealing any punishment, I'm really hoping for a TE who will use his size advantage over DBs to take it to them. No more being a target and getting taken down. Use the opportunity to pound DBs 60 lbs lighter than you.

Or in Rico's case, 80 lbs less.

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
The one thing about Wells is he was the Best Blocking TE coming out of College IMO Its hard to know what kind of hands he has because his College team was a running team. IMO Wells has more upside then Rico.
I think that Rico for some reason has fallen into the dog house. It might be because as one poster indicated he didnt think he needed any improvement. After an off season Rico did nothing to try and improve his blocking skills. JMO though.
It's kinda a tough call just where he's standing at right now,Friend,, there's a story over on the 'drudge report' about the League telling JJ to shut the hell up about the national anthem & bottom of that
" star" article is a link to where GARRETT is continually tooting on the RICO horn,,,GARRETT can definitely appreciate the upside potential #80 brings to the table,as that article states " you can't coach size into a player",,,yet it also states at closing he's currently slotted as the #4 T.E.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
we'll try to hide him again somewhere. I think we are going to let him get up over 400 pounds and just use him as a road cone. It will be hard to get around him, and think how hard it will be to tackle him.. LMAO

rpntex

Reaction score
Just because these kids didnt make the roster doesnt mean they dont have talent. His performance was outstanding and it's not a knock against him. No matter how cynical and sarcastic you are.

Flipping hamburgers and bagging groceries. Wow just because they didnt make the most elite league in the world with limited roster space they are garbage.

And Gathers is a fraud for shinning in the limited opportunity he was given. And I guess when he was tearing up our defense on the scout team, with my boy Romo throwing to him. Well I guess that doesnt count either.

The kid is blessed with talent and theres a spot in the NFL for him. Just not with the Cowboys. Because of his blocking and the number of te vying for a roster spot. Theres a lot of talent across the board. We may carry 3 Qb. Whose the odd man out at RB DE Wr.

There are decisions that will have to be made. I am not so sure the Cowboys can continue with the Rico project. I expect him to shine once again this preseason. If we cut him hes not making it past waivers

Contrary to your opinion, I am not discounting Rico’s performance from last preseason. I am simply saying that you cannot get an objective and realistic assessment of his two ability by how he does in preseason against guys who will not be in the league what’s the games start counting.

In other words, Rico played… He just didn’t do it against anyone of consequence.

rpntex

Reaction score
How did he look vs these burger flipers as compared to how Swaim or Jarwin looked against the same type.

While neither of them set the world on fire, at least Swaim and Jarwin got some snaps during the regular season… You know, in games the counted.

The message is simple… People shouldn’t go bat crap crazy over how Rico performed in the preseason. It’s one thing to be optimistic about his ability, it’s quite another to pronounce him as the second coming.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
They knew going in he would require a lot of development.

With 3 more years of his rights, they must consider him a basket case if they don't keep him.
That may very well be the case & make my next statements moot.

Expectations is the most difficult aspect of this for me to wrap my head around. You take a guy in the 6th round who hasn't played football since middle school & after two off seasons you HAVE to make a decision to cut him??
Yet you take a guy at #34 overall who was so severely injured that no one knew if he would ever walk naturally again much less play football but whatever time it takes is OK.
Those two situations that are too similar in their uncertainty to have such vastly different expectations of when you decide the experiment is over.

Why did you draft RG if you weren't willing to view it as a longer term gamble? Did you really expect him to become a clear cut starter in two years?

I just don't get the risk \ reward expectations. You know roster spots are the ultimate currency. Why take these kinds of risks knowing you may be forced to flush the investment before any reasonable person would have expected the investment to produce significant returns?