Zoners: Introducing Super Freak 2

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
Oklahoma State WR coach Gunter Brewer feels receiver Bryant has 'Moss type talent'

March 24th, 2010 By Special to DraftNasty

Three years ago, I called up an old coach of mine from Marshall University that was coaching at Oklahoma State as the wide receivers coach. I called to ask Gunter Brewer about a kid from my hometown named Adurius Bowman, who a number of people considered the best wide receiver in college football. Coach Brewer told me that Adurius Bowman was one hell of a player, but he kept talking about this freshman named Dez Bryant that he said had 'Randy Moss-type ability'. I must tell you that Coach Brewer was Randy’s position coach at Marshall and got an up close look at the Super Freak everyday.

Fast forward to 2010, and I call up Coach Brewer. Like always he says, "Timmy Martin, what's going on?" I said, "Coach Brewer, how good is this kid Dez Bryant?" I couldn't believe what I heard come out of Coach Brewer's mouth.

Coach Brewer said, "Timmy, he's better than Moss. I never thought I would see someone that could track the ball better than Randy when it's in the air, but this kid can. He's fearless on the football field and doesn't mind one bit to roam the middle of the field.

Dez is a very smart football player and loves to watch film and learn about the game. He has a very high football IQ and picks up the game very easy.

Coach what are your thoughts on his football future?

I believe in the correct situation, at the next level, you could see the 'Super Freak 2'.

Woods

Reaction score
One huge positive for Dez is that he's got Romo throwing to him as well.

I'm trying to temper my expectations for D Bryant.

thor_01

Reaction score
Woods;3383024 said:

I keep trying to put this kid and this season in perspective, and yet I still feel like a fifteen year old kid the night before he turns sixteen, and his Uncle has promised a hooker for his sixteenth birthday and a new car,,,,it is just over whelming me a little at a time lol.................

Woods

Reaction score
thor_01;3383034 said:
I keep trying to put this kid and this season in perspective, and yet I still feel like a fifteen year old kid the night before he turns sixteen, and his Uncle has promised a hooker for his sixteenth birthday and a new car,,,,it is just over whelming me a little at a time lol.................

That's an interesting analogy.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I'm very excited about having a kid who I feel is a playmaker. Not ready to put him in the HOF but I'm not planning on lowering my enthusiasm for kid who I think will be a big help to this franchise.

thor_01

Reaction score
Doomsday101;3383052 said:
I'm very excited about having a kid who I feel is a playmaker. Not ready to put him in the HOF but I'm not planning on lowering my enthusiasm for kid who I think will be a big help to this franchise.

I guess the big thing for me this time is it is like knowing Bob Hayes and Michael Irving maybe coming, the big impact reciever, instead of him just popping up out of no where and taking over, you have expectations that with most rookies just didnt exist, maybe because there is so much media attention, or so much information available, readily, that wasn't available years ago.......

FCBarca

Reaction score
A moratorium on the hype for the kid sure sounds like a smart idea, IMHO...Let's wait & see the player suit up, practice and get into some games before he's projected as the next anything...Else he'll end up as the next RW

Doomsday101

Reaction score
thor_01;3383072 said:
I guess the big thing for me this time is it is like knowing Bob Hayes and Michael Irving maybe coming, the big impact reciever, instead of him just popping up out of no where and taking over, you have expectations that with most rookies just didnt exist, maybe because there is so much media attention, or so much information available, readily, that wasn't available years ago.......

I'll just say I'm not afraid of disappointment. It is part of life, I feel very excited about getting Dez and feel no need to take some cautious approach I have nothing on the line here I'm a fan who understands nothing is a sure thing but I refuse to walk around scared to support a player because he may not be all some feel he will be. Some of the comments seem to be saying I don’t want to like him to much because I could be disappointed, hell with that get out of on the limb the kid what do any of us actually have to lose?

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Woods;3383024 said:

Romo needs to work on his deep (hail mary) type throws though. If he keeps the ball lower to the ground, he is more accurate, but the high arching throws he doesn't make so well.

thor_01

Reaction score
FCBarca;3383078 said:
A moratorium on the hype for the kid sure sounds like a smart idea, IMHO...Let's wait & see the player suit up, practice and get into some games before he's projected as the next anything...Else he'll end up as the next RW

Once again, the level of reading comprehension in here is astounding, where did you see any place that I annointed him anything, by comparison if your level of comprehension is equalled by a recievers abillity to catch and be impactful, he would be RW, and my post would not even be there......

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
Where's Romo 2 Austin? We need to put the brakes on this thread, and fast. :D

FCBarca

Reaction score
thor_01;3383237 said:
Once again, the level of reading comprehension in here is astounding, where did you see any place that I annointed him anything, by comparison if your level of comprehension is equalled by a recievers abillity to catch and be impactful, he would be RW, and my post would not even be there......

For someone spouting off about reading comprehension, curious how you came to the conclusion I was referring to you :rolleyes:

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Romo needs to learn to throw the ball into tight quarters with Dez. I'm not sure that's Tony right now.

xpistofer

Reaction score
FCBarca;3383078 said:

How is a coach's comments on a player hype? just curious...

thor_01

Reaction score
FCBarca;3383315 said:
For someone spouting off about reading comprehension, curious how you came to the conclusion I was referring to you :rolleyes:

Well with very little deduction on my part, and the genius way you disguised it, considering I was the only one to that point that said anything about previous players or recievers, man up, if you are going to make attempts at character assasination have at least the gumption to take what comes back to you........................

FCBarca

Reaction score
thor_01;3383598 said:
Well with very little deduction on my part, and the genius way you disguised it, considering I was the only one to that point that said anything about previous players or recievers, man up, if you are going to make attempts at character assasination have at least the gumption to take what comes back to you........................

Paranoia but hey, rant away