Zoners: new WR already on team

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
Zoners:

We all are worried about our WR's due to injuries and rightfully so.

I believe due to Hurd being hurt last night.....or new slot WR will be:

RB FELIX JONES

Did you see the body adjustment on that one handed grab last night? :) The guy is so quick he would be a natural in the slot--and look out when the ball is in his hands--bye bye!

What do you Zoners think of this option? I like it! :star:

SDogo

Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev
Reaction score
CrazyCowboy;2219490 said:
Zoners:

RB FELIX JONES

Did you see the body adjustment on that one handed grab last night? :) The guy is so quick he would be a natural in the slot--and look out when the ball is in his hands--bye bye!

That was going to be a OPTION and WRINKLE in the offense before all the injuries and I would like to keep it exactly that, an OPTION and a WRINKLE instead of a need.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
I like Felix and all, but he's not a WR. If we move him to the slot, then we're actually limiting the things we want to do with him which could do more harm than good.

I'm sure he'll end up in the slot from time to time, but putting him there on ever 3WR set probably isn't a great idea. Catching the ball 5-15 yards from the line is one thing, but I suspect he'd be as lost as Stanback looked going any further out than that.

sacase

Reaction score
I was actually thinking Bennett may be able to play the position. I don't understand JJ's reluctance to bring in a WR its obvious we need them. I would put Stanbeck on IR and go out and get a vet, there are options out there. They just need to be ready to learn the 3 WR sets.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
sacase;2219498 said:
I was actually thinking Bennett may be able to play the position. I don't understand JJ's reluctance to bring in a WR its obvious we need them. I would put Stanbeck on IR and go out and get a vet, there are options out there. They just need to be ready to learn the 3 WR sets.

Yeah seriously, this whole "we don't need no stinkin' WR's" crap is getting old. And it's not even like it started now, since before the draft he's been anti bringing a WR in. Maybe it's simply a cap issue and whoever we brought in would just be more of a hit than Jerry is willing to spend.

It's one thing to say we'll look at our options but think we'll be okay, and another to completely say no new WR's!

Chances are if we crash and burn at WR like we did at CB last year, he'll acquire 3 next year... of ourse it'll be one year too late by then though.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Felix can move out and handle a few wrinkle routes. He can't play WR #3.

Pacman and Bennet/Witten better options to go out wide some.

Terry Glenn week 2 for Vet min also - not guaranteed.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
I don't think we do anything for now and hope Austin and Hurd make a quick recovery. Sounds like Austin is still a possibility for the Browns. If they are not available, I see Wade keeping Amendola around most for kickoff return and punt return insurance (if Pac gets hurt, you'd like to avoid having Crayton or Newman doing punt returns) and using Amendola sparingly in the slot as a WR.

I think the big thing they'll do is make adjustments to the scheme for the injuries. More 2 TE sets, more basic 2 backs, 1 TE, 2 WR sets and probably more concentration on running the ball and throwing the ball to Felix out of the backfield. It's a bit much to expect a rookie tailback to line up out wide and act as a WR.

YAKUZA

Reaction score
Zoners:

RB FELIX JONES

But...... How many rookies make that much of an impact int he NFL their first year? Not many because of the speed of the game.

firehawk350

Reaction score
TheCount;2219502 said:
Yeah seriously, this whole "we don't need no stinkin' WR's" crap is getting old. And it's not even like it started now, since before the draft he's been anti bringing a WR in. Maybe it's simply a cap issue and whoever we brought in would just be more of a hit than Jerry is willing to spend.

It's one thing to say we'll look at our options but think we'll be okay, and another to completely say no new WR's!

Chances are if we crash and burn at WR like we did at CB last year, he'll acquire 3 next year... of ourse it'll be one year too late by then though.
Honestly, at this point, Jerry reminds me of my 3 year old son who wants an ice cream at the convenience store. He sees one or two that he REALLY wants, and absolutely nothing else will do. I could hand him the entire candy aisle or say that any ice cream other than the one he wants and he'll throw it on the floor.

And here's where I think Jerry kind of matches that attitude. He said he wanted a "wow" player on offense and we all presume it's a receiver so he talks to the Bengals about Chad Johnson, the Cards about Anquan Boldin and the Lions about Roy Williams and he can't get his wow player (the ice cream). Now, the cowboys are starving and somebody says, hey, you can have a bunch of OTHER receivers who could fit in until Hurd and Austin come back but they aren't that WOW player he wanted so he throws it on the floor.

I've seen it said about Jerry a bunch of times, he gets what he wants. The problem now is he CAN'T get what he wants so he just doesn't get anything.

Jay

Reaction score
firehawk350;2219537 said:
Honestly, at this point, Jerry reminds me of my 3 year old son who wants an ice cream at the convenience store. He sees one or two that he REALLY wants, and absolutely nothing else will do. I could hand him the entire candy aisle or say that any ice cream other than the one he wants and he'll throw it on the floor.

And here's where I think Jerry kind of matches that attitude. He said he wanted a "wow" player on offense and we all presume it's a receiver so he talks to the Bengals about Chad Johnson, the Cards about Anquan Boldin and the Lions about Roy Williams and he can't get his wow player (the ice cream). Now, the cowboys are starving and somebody says, hey, you can have a bunch of OTHER receivers who could fit in until Hurd and Austin come back but they aren't that WOW player he wanted so he throws it on the floor.

I've seen it said about Jerry a bunch of times, he gets what he wants. The problem now is he CAN'T get what he wants so he just doesn't get anything.

What did you want him to do? What wide receiver did you want him to go after? I remember people saying we should go after Jerry Porter, does anyone realize the kind of money that guy signed for?

Jerry made it very clear that he believed the guys like Austin, Hurd, and Stanback were better options for us than taking someone in the draft.

I'd rather wait until next offseason, throw huge money at Roy Williams and then we've got him locked up for multiple years, rather than throw a large sum of money at a mediocre player.

Any player that's available right now wouldn't be a top 4 WR on our roster. Some of you guys think you can just pull up a menu and start pulling deals for players.. this isn't Madden. Look at the Bengals, the Bengals felt the need to bring back Chris Henry after all that stuff went down. Everyone needs WRs, not everyone can be 3 deep. I think people are blowing it just a bit out of proportion and we'll be just fine with Owens and Crayton for now.

firehawk350

Reaction score
Jay;2219543 said:
What did you want him to do? What wide receiver did you want him to go after? I remember people saying we should go after Jerry Porter, does anyone realize the kind of money that guy signed for?

Jerry made it very clear that he believed the guys like Austin, Hurd, and Stanback were better options for us than taking someone in the draft.

I'd rather wait until next offseason, throw huge money at Roy Williams and then we've got him locked up for multiple years, rather than throw a large sum of money at a mediocre player.

Any player that's available right now wouldn't be a top 4 WR on our roster. Some of you guys think you can just pull up a menu and start pulling deals for players.. this isn't Madden. Look at the Bengals, the Bengals felt the need to bring back Chris Henry after all that stuff went down. Everyone needs WRs, not everyone can be 3 deep. I think people are blowing it just a bit out of proportion and we'll be just fine with Owens and Crayton for now.
But the point is, in today's NFL, you can't have a NOBODY in the slot. They need Miles Austin or Sam Hurd in the slot at the very least. I'm not saying pull a trade for a fringe receiver like Jerry Porter, but at least scan the waiver wires for SOMEBODY. You can get a Joe Horn for a little above the vet min at this point. He's not going to win games for you, but you at least gotta respect him in the slot. Signing Horn for a one year deal, which you can cut him as soon as Austin and Hurd get healthy does absolutely nothing to your chances for Roy Williams next offseason.

Ren

Reaction score
I can kinda understand Jerry not wanting to bring one in now by the time they learn the offense Hurd and Austin will be back.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
Using Felix, and Bennett, a little more in the first game or two in passing situations until at least Austin, if not Austin and Hurd, can get back will work just fine.

BehindEnemyLinez

Optimist Prime
Reaction score
firehawk350;2219570 said:
But the point is, in today's NFL, you can't have a NOBODY in the slot. They need Miles Austin or Sam Hurd in the slot at the very least. I'm not saying pull a trade for a fringe receiver like Jerry Porter, but at least scan the waiver wires for SOMEBODY. You can get a Joe Horn for a little above the vet min at this point. He's not going to win games for you, but you at least gotta respect him in the slot. Signing Horn for a one year deal, which you can cut him as soon as Austin and Hurd get healthy does absolutely nothing to your chances for Roy Williams next offseason.
What good is signing SOMEBODY for the sake of signing them (we're not the Skins ;) )? I'd rather us use Witten and Bennett as slot WR options than a washed up Joe Horn! Maybe Glenn (if healthy) will be an option come week two (so his salary isn't guaranteed) but I don't see a reason to reach and p/u someone who couldn't step in and help right away.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
I don't understand the idea of ..."Just go out and sign whoever to come in and learn the playbook for the next two weeks, play sparingly in the first week while they're learning the offense still, and then get cut in week 2 because Austin will be ready to go against Philly."

All you did was waste your time bringing in another body who isn't going to give you anymore than a Jefferson, and probably less at this point, because they won't know nearly enough about the offense to be much of a factor in the opener.

And that's all we're really talking about here is potentially bringing in a guy to play in the opener because he'll be bumped right down the depth chart, if not entirely off the team, when Austin is ready to go week 2.

adamknite

Reaction score
firehawk350;2219570 said:

If we sign Joe Horn and he's on the roster for the first game, his contract is guaranteed for the year. If we sign any vets it will be after game 1 so we could cut them free of charge when our guys start getting healthy.

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
firehawk350;2219537 [B said:
The problem now is he CAN'T get what he wants so he just doesn't get anything[/B].

Absolutely nothing wrong with that. Don't tell me you want Horn?

GhettoxCowboy

Dem Boyz
Reaction score
Zoners:

RB FELIX JONES

Felix is a beast man but, we can't have him at WR, hes to important to the 1-2 punch with MBIII.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
If we delude ourselves into thinking a RB and TE (Witten) is the same as a serviceable slot receiver, I disagree.

A sound slot CB can negate Jones, I don't care how fast he is. Witten is more of a challenge, but he makes his living feasting off LBers and Ss in coverage, not cornerbacks.

We need a 3rd receiver. Sadly, we just might not have a quality option.