Zoners, Our #1 pick destiny is in Frye's hands...

SMCowboy

Reaction score
Rack;1614472 said:
My best buddy is a browns fan and he hates Jamal Lewis (although not as much as he used to) and isn't expecting much from him. He also doesn't want Quinn to see the field this year. He, unlike most browns fans, remembers how Couch got ruined (and even Charlie Frye really) cuz he played before he was ready.

He also hears me saying (constantly) how sitting Romo for 3 years made a HUGE difference for him.

Luckily for the Browns fans, from what I have seen Savage say, he is not in the big hurry that most Browns fans are to see Quinn play in any regular season games.

I even saw where one Browns fan claimed to have seen Savage and asked him about Quinn and he said that he most likely would not play at all this year. I personally would be suprised if the Browns didn't play him at all this year, but I do think it would be VERY wise for the Browns to develop Quinn much like the Bengals developed Palmer.

Gordon

Reaction score
SMCowboy;1614572 said:
Luckily for the Browns fans, from what I have seen Savage say, he is not in the big hurry that most Browns fans are to see Quinn play in any regular season games.

I even saw where one Browns fan claimed to have seen Savage and asked him about Quinn and he said that he most likely would not play at all this year. I personally would be suprised if the Browns didn't play him at all this year, but I do think it would be VERY wise for the Browns to develop Quinn much like the Bengals developed Palmer.

Those fans were chanting for Quinn in a preseason game. I highly doubt they're gonna get very good QB play out of Frye/Anderson, and those fans are gonna be chanting for Quinn immediately. It's gonna be hard for them to keep Quinn out under those circumstances, especially when Romeo may have to do whatever he can to keep his job.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Gordon;1614579 said:
Those fans were chanting for Quinn in a preseason game. I highly doubt they're gonna get very good QB play out of Frye/Anderson, and those fans are gonna be chanting for Quinn immediately. It's gonna be hard for them to keep Quinn out under those circumstances, especially when Romeo may have to do whatever he can to keep his job.

Crennel will decide when/if Quinn plays, not the fans.

You really think Crennel - A parcells diciple - would fold cuz the FANS want Quinn to start? Please.

jackrussell

Last of the Duke Street Kings
Reaction score
SteveOS;1614074 said:
Quinn threw a pick last night and zero TD's. Just in case anyone was interested.

And led them to their only offensive TD on the night.

Offensive TD drives in preseason with Frye/Anderson combined= 1.
Offensive TD drives in preseason with Quinn= The rest.

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
Cogan;1614506 said:
Wow, you are quite the analyst. You even know than Mike Ditka, Mark Schlerith, and a host of former All-Pros, who have watched Quinn all preseason, & feel he has the composure, accuracy, and leadership you rarely find in a rookie QB-especially one that held out most of TC.

Wasn't Ditka the guy who traded his entire draft for the the All-Pro pothead???

Big Dakota

Reaction score
Cogan;1614506 said:
Wow, you are quite the analyst. You even know than Mike Ditka, Mark Schlerith, and a host of former All-Pros, who have watched Quinn all preseason, & feel he has the composure, accuracy, and leadership you rarely find in a rookie QB-especially one that held out most of TC.

As far as your remarks about his stats being built upon only scrubs--WRONG AGAIN! At least you're getting good at it.....:laugh1: .

Last week, Quinn came in against & played most of his minutes against the Broncos' first & second teams. Here are his stats from that game:

7 for 11 for 81 yds. & 63.6%. He had one TD, (Every analyst out there says that the non-TD call against Joe Jurevicius was a TD & should have been challenged), and no Int. for a QB rating of 116.1. His QB rating should have been a lot higher with that second TD.

The guy is the real deal. I've watched every snap he's played, and the entire offense has a sense of purpose & urgency every time he's out there leading them. When that happens, players block just a little harder & longer, runners run just a little harder, and receivers drop fewer passes. This team is tired of losing, and they are just about to break out. Not this year, and maybe not in 2008, but I wouldn't doubt if we see a Cowboys-Browns Super Bowl when it's played in Texas, if not before!

W 17-16 71163.6817.41000116.1122.00

You've watched EVERY BQ snap?? My gawd that's a lot of PS Browns football(my eyes would have popped out by now). Sounds like you are a BQ fan more than anything else.

Reaction score
Cogan;1614506 said:

As far as your remarks about his stats being built upon only scrubs--WRONG AGAIN! At least you're getting good at it.....:laugh1: .

Last week, Quinn came in against & played most of his minutes against the Broncos' first & second teams. Here are his stats from that game:

7 for 11 for 81 yds. & 63.6%. He had one TD, (Every analyst out there says that the non-TD call against Joe Jurevicius was a TD & should have been challenged), and no Int. for a QB rating of 116.1. His QB rating should have been a lot higher with that second TD.

The guy is the real deal. I've watched every snap he's played, and the entire offense has a sense of purpose & urgency every time he's out there leading them. When that happens, players block just a little harder & longer, runners run just a little harder, and receivers drop fewer passes. This team is tired of losing, and they are just about to break out. Not this year, and maybe not in 2008, but I wouldn't doubt if we see a Cowboys-Browns Super Bowl when it's played in Texas, if not before!

People here cant see that because their Domer hatred is thick..

Regardless, he is a true franchise QB and will bring regrets of passing on Steven Jackson.

Sandyf

Reaction score
Crennel probably wanted to start Quinn but it was Savage's call and the right one. A few games down the line say around week 5 or 6 since the bye week for them is 4 I think then Quinn will start. The pressure won't be as bad, they will be 0-4 or 0-5 or 0-something by then.

Don't know if Quinn is the franchise QB alot would like to believe but he is definitely better than anything Cleveland has had in years.

Stautner

Reaction score
McCordsville Cowboy;1614790 said:

Regardless, he is a true franchise QB and will bring regrets of passing on Steven Jackson.

What does Steven Jackson have to do with it?

If Quinn is a true franchise QB as you claim, wouldn't that make us regret passing on ....... Quinn?

bpfred

Reaction score
Quinn's interception came on a batted ball with a three step drop. His (inexperienced) offensive linemen were blocking high and did NOTHING to keep the Defensive Linemen's hands down. No cut blocks, no punch to the belly or groin. Absolutely no price of any kind to pay for raising their hands. Nothing.

He also had a long pass that was right on the money dropped by his receiver. Plus he led a drive that got them into the end zone, via a RB run. Neither Frye nor Anderson can score a touchdown to save their life.

The Cleveland fans have a pentup anger against the franchise. The team was getting booed in the first quarter of the first exhibition game for crying out loud. And last year, some fans were walking out in the third quarter of the first regular season game. They also had a number of fans refuse to renew seat licenses, to the point they can now be bought from the team for the first time since their re-entry into the league.

If they don't get good QB play early in the year there will be intense pressure from their fans to play Quinn. After all, the fans need some kind of reason to come and watch them play. While Savage and Crennel almost certainly have a philosophy of making rookies (all rookies, but especially QBs) sit for a while before letting them play, they may not have a choice. If they don't let him play, Lerner, Savage, and Crennel all may have a tough time being in that town. Crennel is reportedly on the verge of losing his job as it is, and may very well be grasping a straws after the first game.

The good news for us? They are going to be in terrible shape on the O-line for the first half of the year. Joe Thomas is a rookie, who will be learning the first half--he should be better in the second half. Bentley is out. Tucker is suspended for the first four games. So unless Steinbach can block four guys by himself, the QB (whoever it is) is gonna be totally screwed.

My guess is the team will try to hold off until the O-line gets better, before playing Quinn. I'm not sure if the fans will let them. Expect the Browns to be substantially better the second half than the first. My guess is they win four or five games this year, with the majority coming in the second half. They are starting to get some players.

Big Dakota

Reaction score
McCordsville Cowboy;1614790 said:

"Embrace the Man Love"

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
SMCowboy;1614463 said:
The Browns fans are quite delusional with there view of Quinn. They honestly feel that Quinn is ready to step in and play against the best NFL D's. And when one Browns fan even brought up that almost all of his passes except for the Detroit game against a prevent D were dump offs and screens. They actually said that he is quick and decisive in his reads.

Although they are also expecting Jamal Lewis to rush for 1300-1500 yards this year.....

Jamaal Lewis.......1300-1500 yards in CLEVELAND??????????? :lmao2:

BouncingCheese

Stay out of my Bidness
Reaction score
We are going to be fine... even if Frye plays okay, that defense isn't going to do didly against an average team.

Besides, that schedule would be murder for a team like ours; imagine how they will fare.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Cogan;1614506 said:

It really is almost impossible to judge a QB from preseason. Even if he did go up against starters, most NFL teams go plain vanilla so nobody can get anything on tape.

Lets see how Quinn handles his first outing against the Ravens or Steelers on the road in games that count.

That will be the indicator of how good he is.:)

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Beast_from_East;1615523 said:
Lets see how Quinn handles his first outing against the Ravens or Steelers on the road in games that count.

That will be the indicator of how good he is.:)

I disagree. There's probowl veteran QBs that wouldn't fare well against those teams on the road.

LucaBrasi

Sleeps with the fishes
Reaction score
It'll be in Brady Quinn's hands by October. I don't think the Browns are that bad. That pick won't be #1, but hopefully it will be top 10

GlitzCowboy

Reaction score
Bad place for Quinn to land. Their history of failed #1 pick Qbs is going to seriously prohibit his playing time in the beginning. And in this particular case I don't think it should. You've got Brady Quinn and you start a guy named Frye.

This guy is the next Joe Montana imo. Put him in immediately and suffer the agony with him. He'll rise above it. Coddle him too long and this player that just knows how to win, could start to forget how to play football. Some players need devolpment and some players just need to be on that field and keep going. Quinn needs to keep going.

He's already been practicing for this for the last 2 seasons. Hell, the guy has oodles more experiance in pro style offenses then even Tony Romo.

I'm truly scared of this one. He's going to be that pick we passed on that plagues us for years too come. We had him! He was within our grasp! God, Romo had better be the player we hope he can be. Or did we just dump it all into Danny White Version 2? Only I bet Danny wouldn't have had a problem holding a kick in the playoffs. Ugh, I'm feeling ill.

GlitzCowboy

Reaction score
Big Dakota;1614959 said:
"Embrace the Man Love"

Lol, "Man Love". Talk about the Cheerleaders mostly, do you?

Sorry too tell you, but it's "Man Love" the second you turn on that tv for a cowboy game and your heart starts pumping. Man love when you were a little boy and decided to worship a sport with grown men wearing tights. Man love the second you concerned yourself with the game in general over the point of casual fan. Or bring out Psych 101 and tell me how it's not. ;) Freud would probably say you live in a closet and the homosexuals have already drilled a hole in the back wall of that closet for your easy access. Everyone of us defines "Man Love", simple truth. Though atleast not as much as fans of Wrestling and Basketball. Skin on skin, now there's some serious man loving.

skinsscalper

Reaction score
parcells316;1615588 said:
It'll be in Brady Quinn's hands by October. I don't think the Browns are that bad. That pick won't be #1, but hopefully it will be top 10

I agree. The pick will almost certainly be top 10. But, you never know. The Browns have been quietly stocking up high draft picks and not faring too badly in FA. One of these years we are going to look at the standings and see a 6-2 Browns team and collectively say "What the heck?".

Eventually these talent aquisitions are going to pan out.

SS

:star: