ZONERS: Rookie report looks encouraging

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
Rookie watch

LB Anthony Spencer Is making a solid transition from college end to linebacker and is working with the first team in place of injured Greg Ellis.

OT James Marten He's better on the run than the pass right now. The Cowboys like his potential.

OT Doug Free He has been very impressive. The Cowboys think he has a future at left tackle.

WR Isaiah Stanback He has yet to make his camp debut, sidelined by injuries.

K Nick Folk He has been better than expected and could earn the kicking job.

FB Deon Anderson He has all the tools and has learned his lesson from being late to practice.

CB Alan Ball He's inexperienced but has had his moments.

DB Courtney Brown The move from college cornerback to pro safety has been successful so far.

Zoners: I pulled the above from another post.

The 07 draft class looks really good thus far vs 06 class.

Do you feel it is better becuase we work more as a team in the draft room WITHOUT BP vs everyone basically did what BP said before--i.e. JACOB ROGERS :bang2:

What is your take on this?

Teague31

Defender of the Star
Reaction score
this draft may end up producing a boat load of starters. i am really starting to get excited about free.. if we found our starting LT for the next decade in Round 4, Ireland should be president. can't wait to see free go up against freeney tonight.

Reaction score
CrazyCowboy;1580926 said:

Do you feel it is better becuase we work more as a team in the draft room WITHOUT BP vs everyone basically did what BP said before--i.e. JACOB ROGERS :bang2:

I hate to say this, but it means squat until we see it on the field. Rating a class of rookies before the first pre-season game is getting the cart way in front of the horse. To compare the drafts at this juncture would put the previous regime at a serious dis-advantage. We have had years to peck apart those picks, and several weeks of training camp to evaluate this years.

DCBoysfan

Hardwork and Dedication
Reaction score
diamond cutter;1580931 said:
I hate to say this, but it means squat until we see it on the field. Rating a class of rookies before the first pre-season game is getting the cart way in front of the horse. To compare the drafts at this juncture would put the previous regime at a serious dis-advantage. We have had years to peck apart those picks, and several weeks of training camp to evaluate this years.

Very good point, I want to see them do it in the game before we say this draft was successful.

burmafrd

Reaction score
It don't mean squat. Remember how we initially raved about how great the 2005 draft was? Its still a fine draft, but not like we originally thought it was.

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
CrazyCowboy;1580926 said:

2003 Draft
1- Terence Newman (Starter)
2- Al Johnson (Was a Starter in Dallas; now a starter in AZ)
3- Jason Witten (Starter)
4- Bradie James (Starter)
6- BJ Tucker (Roster spot with SF)
6- Zuriel Smith (Out of League)
7- Justin Bates (Out of League)

2004 NFL Draft
2- Julius Jones (Starter)
2- Jacob Rogers (Roster spot with Denver)
3- Stephen Peterman (Starter in Detroit)
4- Bruce Thornton (Roster Spot with Jax)
5- Sean Ryan (Roster Spot with NYJ)
7- Nathan Jones (Backup in Dallas)
7- Patrick Crayton (Backup in Dallas)
7- Jacques Reeves (Backup in Dallas)

2005 NFL Draft
1- Demarcus Ware (Starter)
1- Marcus Spears (Starter)
2- Kevin Burnett (Backup)
4- Marion Barber (Backup)
4- Chris Canty (Starter)
6- Justin Beriault (Career Ending Injury)
6- Rob Petitti (Starter in Dallas for year; N.O. as a backup)
7- Jay Ratliff (Backup)

2006 NFL Draft
1- Bobby Carpenter (Backup)
2- Anthony Fasano (Backup)
3- Jason Hatcher (Backup)
4- Skyler Green (Roster Spot with Cinci)
5- Pat Watkins (Backup)
6- Montavious Stanley (Backup)
7- Pat McQuistan (Backup)
7- EJ Whitley (Out of League)

The one thing that catches my eye, is that when Parcells misses on a pick, quite a few latch on somewhere else.

We got 7 starters on the team now (Newman, Witten, James, Ware, Spears, Canty, Jones)

We had an additional starter in Johnson; who left. Peterman is starting in Detroit.

We have key backups in Crayton, Ratliff, Barber.

The last year's draft is too early to make judgements, but Carpenter could be a starter in the near future (as well as Burnett). Fasano figures to play a larger role this year. McQuistan may have a chance at a starting job next year.

And this is not taking into account UDFA like Austin and Hurd a year ago. Nor Romo, our starting QB. Nor Thompson, who was our starting KR/3rd string RB.

Ashwynn

Reaction score
good info in this thread. I did not know wee became so asstute at draftingunder Parcells.

03EBZ06

Need2Speed
Reaction score
Nicely done Vintage.

It really shows that BP had pretty good drafts during his tenure here. But some will latch onto few bad picks (as if no other HC/GM has had bad picks) and disregard all the good selections.

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
Ashwynn;1580955 said:
good info in this thread. I did not know wee became so asstute at draftingunder Parcells.

Part of it is, with how bad we drafted in recent years, it was bound to get better.

Part of it is, we just drafted well under Parcells too.

We had 31 picks under Parcells tenure.

7 are current starters (22.6 %)
2 others have started for Dallas (6%)- Al Johnson, and Rob Petitti
1 other is a starter elsewhere (3%)- Stephen Peterman
12 non starters remain with the team (38.7%)

I bet this rates up there with any team.

And of those 12 non starters, Crayton potentially could be a starter on some teams. Burnett and Carpenter may land starting roles in the near future. McQuistan could be a starter next year. Barber is splitting carries... And Watkins may become something at FS. Fasano should be more involved this year, and if we ever go to a 2 TE offense, will be a starter. And he did actually start 5 games last year too....(I have him listed as a backup in the above breakdown).

JaiRiid

Reaction score
Dang, I liked the way that Justin Beriault kid played... what could have been

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
JaiRiid;1581022 said:
Dang, I liked the way that Justin Beriault kid played... what could have been

I did also!

What is his current status? Does anyone know--he could hit like crazy!

sago1

Reaction score
Agree it's too early to judge the 07 draft but heck I'm going to anyway but only those of our 2 OTs Doug Free & James Marten in comparison with 04 draft of OT Jacob Rogers & OG Peterman which turned out so poorly for us.

Don't know if it has anything to do with the different coaching style, but seems to me we know more about this year's 2 OL then we learned during TC about Rogers/Peterman. And what we've learned so far is that the Cowboys are pleased with both: Doug Free is very athletic & potentially future LT starter whose good against the pass rush (except for DeMarcus Ware) but does need to develop his run blocking. Marten has good run blocking skills but his pass blocking needs work; he's projected as a RT. Both are hard working, tough kids; also Marten has a nasty disposition. As rookies, this year will be spent developing their full range of needed skills to challenge for starter positions down the road.

I think the Cowboys are eager to push Free as far along as they can so they can find out if he could be ready to challenge for LT position in 08.

My point in this whole posting is stating how thrilled I am that at this point in TC we at least have 2 live bodies who have a lot of talent, are showing it & we haven't screwed up like what happened with Rogers & Peterman -- even if both have jobs with other NFL teams now.

Against the Colts 06 7th rounder Pat McQuistan will start at RT cause he's ahead of both Free & Marten at this point; McQuistan will also be the primary OT backup to both Adams & Colombo this. I read someplace that maybe McQuistan is being viewed as able to challenge Colombo this year or next but I've also read before TC started that he was going to work at LG. Who knows? But apparently McQuisten has a big role to play on the Cowboys not only this year but down the road.

BlueStar II

Reaction score
Teague31, I agree with you, I'll be watching closely tonight to see how Free does against Freeney. Freeney should be quite a test for Free, hope he's ready for him.

aikemirv

Reaction score
It was a mistake letting Johnson go. We should have moved Gurode to LG and kept Johnson at C IMO

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score
aikemirv;1581067 said:
It was a mistake letting Johnson go. We should have moved Gurode to LG and kept Johnson at C IMO

Yea cause we all know Gurode sucked last year, and made the pro-bowl purely becuse of his name.

aikemirv

Reaction score
dargonking999;1581081 said:
Yea cause we all know Gurode sucked last year, and made the pro-bowl purely becuse of his name.

Not the point, I just think it took Gurode a few years to really develope. I think he would have developed just as well a G. Johnson did not have the size to be G.

I am not trying to take anything from Gurode at all. Just think the combo of Johnson(C) and Gurode(G) would have been better than Gurode(C) and Kosier(G)

burmafrd

Reaction score
Gurode is much better as a center then as a guard. A REAL fan would know that by now.

carphalen5150

Reaction score
After Spencer Free was the guy I was most excited about after the draft. He is very athletic and I think that he is the guy to follow Flo at LT.

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score
aikemirv;1581090 said:
Not the point, I just think it took Gurode a few years to really develope. I think he would have developed just as well a G. Johnson did not have the size to be G.

I am not trying to take anything from Gurode at all. Just think the combo of Johnson(C) and Gurode(G) would have been better than Gurode(C) and Kosier(G)

i guess you missed all those years he was at guard and failing, and how being at cente he finally was able to do something good.

But yea, you know everything huh?

aikemirv

Reaction score
burmafrd;1581092 said:
Gurode is much better as a center then as a guard. A REAL fan would know that by now.

And when exactly did Gurode get so much better. He really only came into his own last year at C. Before that he was average. So you are telling me you know for sure that would not have happenned at all at G?