ZONERS: Rookie report looks encouraging

aikemirv

Reaction score
dargonking999;1581101 said:
i guess you missed all those years he was at guard and failing, and how being at cente he finally was able to do something good.

But yea, you know everything huh?

Notice the words think and IMO in all of my posts!!!!!!

Doomsday101

Reaction score
aikemirv;1581105 said:
And when exactly did Gurode get so much better. He really only came into his own last year at C. Before that he was average. So you are telling me you know for sure that would not have happenned at all at G?

Johnson was getting pushed back into the QB lap way too often. Dallas made the right move keeping Gurode at center. I would have like to see Johnson remain with us as a backup but Gurode was and is the better option at Center

aikemirv

Reaction score
Doomsday101;1581109 said:
Johnson was getting pushed back into the QB lap way too often. Dallas made the right move keeping Gurode at center. I would have like to see Johnson remain with us as a backup but Gurode was and is the better option at Center

Please read my post about Combination of the 2.

IMO Gurode would have finally developed at G too.

aikemirv

Reaction score
dargonking999;1581113 said:
Thinking is knowing.

I would challenge you to look at yours and Bumafrd post and ask again who is being more of a Know-it-all and who is just offering an opinion.

But, go ahead and bash all you want. I could care less.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
aikemirv;1581114 said:
Please read my post about Combination of the 2.

IMO Gurode would have finally developed at G too.

But he is better at center. Yes he may have played well over time at guard but I think he is a great fit as a center. Johnson big problem was getting stuffed and I don't know if he would have overcome being physically dominated.

Jay

Reaction score
CrazyCowboy;1581027 said:
I did also!

What is his current status? Does anyone know--he could hit like crazy!

He's all done, too banged up. If you're asking if I know what he's doing nowadays, I don't have a clue. I remember Parcells said he had a conversation with him and he told Beriault that it would be in his best interest to stop playing to save his health for the long term.

It was sad, I'll never forget that preseason game against Seattle with a couple nagging injuries. He fought that whole camp through injuries and just played through it. Now that's a warrior..

Reaction score
I CAN'T wait to see Spencer in live action against another team tonight... Man am I happy the game comes on my local Fox channel tonight!

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score
aikemirv;1581118 said:
I would challenge you to look at yours and Bumafrd post and ask again who is being more of a Know-it-all and who is just offering an opinion.

But, go ahead and bash all you want. I could care less.

Know, we're using facts

Gurode failed as a guard for his first years. He gets moved to center and he's a pro-bowler

you tell me which position he's best suited for

aikemirv

Reaction score
dargonking999;1581192 said:
Know, we're using facts

Gurode failed as a guard for his first years. He gets moved to center and he's a pro-bowler

you tell me which position he's best suited for

The ONLY fact you have is that Gurode was a Pro Bowl alternate at C in his
5th year. He was average or below average before last year at EITHER position.

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score
aikemirv;1581219 said:
The ONLY fact you have is that Gurode was a Pro Bowl alternate at C in his
5th year. He was average or below average before last year at EITHER position.

The last two years, he has been playing Center, and he thrived, as he got more comfortable in the position his first as center year he was able to come in the next year and outright win the positon.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Vintage;1580950 said:
2003 Draft
1- Terence Newman (Starter)
2- Al Johnson (Was a Starter in Dallas; now a starter in AZ)
3- Jason Witten (Starter)
4- Bradie James (Starter)
6- BJ Tucker (Roster spot with SF)
6- Zuriel Smith (Out of League)
7- Justin Bates (Out of League)

2004 NFL Draft
2- Julius Jones (Starter)
2- Jacob Rogers (Roster spot with Denver)
3- Stephen Peterman (Starter in Detroit)
4- Bruce Thornton (Roster Spot with Jax)
5- Sean Ryan (Roster Spot with NYJ)
7- Nathan Jones (Backup in Dallas)
7- Patrick Crayton (Backup in Dallas)
7- Jacques Reeves (Backup in Dallas)

2005 NFL Draft
1- Demarcus Ware (Starter)
1- Marcus Spears (Starter)
2- Kevin Burnett (Backup)
4- Marion Barber (Backup)
4- Chris Canty (Starter)
6- Justin Beriault (Career Ending Injury)
6- Rob Petitti (Starter in Dallas for year; N.O. as a backup)
7- Jay Ratliff (Backup)

2006 NFL Draft
1- Bobby Carpenter (Backup)
2- Anthony Fasano (Backup)
3- Jason Hatcher (Backup)
4- Skyler Green (Roster Spot with Cinci)
5- Pat Watkins (Backup)
6- Montavious Stanley (Backup)
7- Pat McQuistan (Backup)
7- EJ Whitley (Out of League)

The one thing that catches my eye, is that when Parcells misses on a pick, quite a few latch on somewhere else.

I think that is really just the case with most draft picks - Tucker, Rogers, Peterman, Thornton, Green -- I doubt that most of these guys make their respective teams.

aikemirv

Reaction score
dargonking999;1581232 said:
The last two years, he has been playing Center, and he thrived, as he got more comfortable in the position his first as center year he was able to come in the next year and outright win the positon.

And that had nothing to do with the fact that the quality surrounding Gurode got better over the years too. He split time with Johnson in 05 at C and he played C his first year and then was moved to G. One of the reasons we drafted JOhnson in the first place was because we did not think he could cut it at C.

So that is fine with me if you want to believe it was the position change that made the difference and I will continue to believe that it was just player maturity that made the change!

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score
aikemirv;1581251 said:

And that had nothing to do with the fact that the quality surrounding Gurode got better over the years too. He split time with Johnson in 05 at C and he played C his first year and then was moved to G. One of the reasons we drafted JOhnson in the first place was because we did not think he could cut it at C.

So that is fine with me if you want to believe it was the position change that made the difference and I will continue to believe that it was just player maturity that made the change!

fine with me.

FLcowboy

When Jerry, when?
Reaction score
CrazyCowboy;1580926 said:
Zoners: I pulled the above from another post.

The 07 draft class looks really good thus far vs 06 class.

Do you feel it is better becuase we work more as a team in the draft room WITHOUT BP vs everyone basically did what BP said before--i.e. JACOB ROGERS :bang2:

What is your take on this?

I think it is a little too early to make any judgments. It's likely that no draftee will be a starter for the Cowboys this year. Spencer will be the closest to a starter of any of them, barring any injuries. Probably better to wait until at least the beginning of the season to even speculate.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
I think Parcells is pretty good the later the round of draft goes. He's pretty good at spotting talent later on in the draft, but sometimes early on, he would get too cute, and try to out-smart himself instead of looking at the best player, and just taking him.

But as others have mentioned, we shall see in the near future how these draftees turned out.