Zoners: Talented and True Blue

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;2247456 said:
I'd rather win with a group a classy guys than bring in some jerks. I hate to see a team win a superbowl after they got rid of a coach thats been there for years or a player. Like Warrick Dunn with tampa.
I'd rather have lunch and go out or watch the game with classy guys, I could care less how they act as long as they bring the trophy.
Hey, I'm a classy guy, but I don't expect the world to bow down to my level just to please me.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
Clove;2247472 said:
I'd rather have lunch and go out or watch the game with classy guys, I could care less how they act as long as they bring the trophy.
Hey, I'm a classy guy, but I don't expect the world to bow down to my level just to please me.

Screw that I'd rather win with Zach Thomas than Akin Adoyele. I would be sick to my stomach if we had a player like Strahan and we won the superbowl.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;2246503 said:
I think your being a little bias. Considering this team smashed almost every individual offensive record in cowboy history. Depsite the knock on RW poor play I find it hard to believe theres another Cowboy safety not named Woodson you could consider better than him. Ware is going to have the sack record in a cowboy of years. Witten > Novachek Hurd > Kmart TO > Irvin Romo > Troy

Charlie Waters was a better safety. Cliff Harris was for certain. Heck, Teague was better than RW. He has improved his coverage a good deal although I'd like to see a lot more.

So I could change my mind but Cliff Harris is a HOF safety IMO.

But I agree this team is pretty good. I'll wait until the end of the year before making any comparisons.

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
mmohican29;2247428 said:
.....To say that a MEDIOCRE team in the watered down NFL of today could defeat the 92-93 Dallas Cowboys teams is outrageous.

No doubt......there is no team in the league that can beat the 92-93 team much less an average mediocre team...........crack is a bad thing.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;2247455 said:
Yea but you said talented not who had the rings. Also championships IMO don't always define QB's how Aikman Post Season accomplishments are very impressive.

After Ware puts up 20 this year you will change your tone. Heck at 32 he can play the next 10 season and average 8.5 sacks and break the record

Trust me. I am not saying he cant. I hope he does. I just think martin and whites numbers are extremely impressive!!

khiladi

Reaction score
I think your being a little bias. Considering this team smashed almost every individual offensive record in cowboy history. Depsite the knock on RW poor play I find it hard to believe theres another Cowboy safety not named Woodson you could consider better than him. Ware is going to have the sack record in a cowboy of years. Witten > Novachek Hurd > Kmart TO > Irvin Romo > Troy

That says more about the wussy rules that cater to the offense nowadays than anything else. Roy Williams would have been the man in those days...

burmafrd

Reaction score
There have been a lot of rule changes and a lot of new interpretations of rules that changes the game a lot.

Look at it this way: this team might have 4 players make it to the HOF. TO is a lock; Witten is probably one and so is Ware. Romo has a shot. BUT realistically NO one else will.

From the 1971 team there are already Staubach, Wright, Lilly, Renfro, Ditka. I believe Hayes WILL make it in this year. Lance Alworth. Herb Adderly was also on that Team.
Howley should be in as well. Our over looked Safety also.
Won't evem talk about Lee Roy Jordan and Cornel Green and George Andrie.
I could go on but in overall Talent the 71 team beat all boys teams all time/

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
Until Romo wins a ring or maybe two...no one can say he is better than Aikman. Modern day passing stats are inflated, it's a different era and teams are throwing the ball more than ever. I am almost positive Aikman would have thrown for 4000yds should he have been playing in this era under this system.
For that one reason alone this team cannot be compared to that of '92.

Duane

Reaction score
The players may be better in some cases but the coaching and attitude are not. Add to the fact that our special teams play was way better in the 90s.

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
burmafrd;2247763 said:
There have been a lot of rule changes and a lot of new interpretations of rules that changes the game a lot.

Look at it this way: this team might have 4 players make it to the HOF. TO is a lock; Witten is probably one and so is Ware. Romo has a shot. BUT realistically NO one else will.

From the 1971 team there are already Staubach, Wright, Lilly, Renfro, Ditka. I believe Hayes WILL make it in this year. Lance Alworth. Herb Adderly was also on that Team.
Howley should be in as well. Our over looked Safety also.
Won't evem talk about Lee Roy Jordan and Cornel Green and George Andrie.
I could go on but in overall Talent the 71 team beat all boys teams all time/

The 1977 team had five Hall of Famers (Roger, Rayfield, Renfro, Dorsett, White). I asked Roger once which team he thought was better -- the 1971 team or the 1977 team. He said it was very close, but he thought Dorsett's ability as a break-away threat gave the 1977 team a slight edge.

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
Smashing records is irrelevant. That team played a much different brand of football than the one we have now. Brett Favre owns several records, but there are quite a few QBs I'd put ahead of him, Elway, Unitas, Staubach (and probably eventually Brady) just to name a few.

As great as TO is, he's not > Michael Irvin. Only a couple receivers in history are > Michael Irvin. TO has better #s, but that's only a small part of the story. Irvin played on a running team, whereas TO has always played on passing teams. There were games where Irvin would only get a few passes directed his way, while TO probably gets double-digits each week. And as prolific as Romo has been, he hasn't proven he can do it when it counts the way Aikman did.

The early 90s teams has multiple deserving HOFers, just as the teams from the mid-70s did (and others are worthy but not in). Other than TO, none of these guys is a lock for the HOF. Tony, Ware, and Witten look great so far, but they haven't proven their worthy of that yet.

When this team wins 3 SBs in 4 years and wins double digit games for 6 years in a row, then they can start making the comparison. In the mean time, the comparison is foolish.

shnagy

Reaction score
ravidubey;2246492 said:
On balance the 92/93 team was more talented.

Adams == Tunei
Kosier < Newton
Gurode > Stepnoski
Davis > Gogan
Columbo << Big E
Barber/Jones/Choice < Emmitt/Richards
Cricket << Moose
Romo < Troy (sorry, Tony, but Troy was at his best in the playoffs)
TO == Irvin
Witten == Novacek
Crayton < Harper
Hurd < KMart

Ware < Haley/Jeffcoat
Spears/Hatcher < Tolbert/Jones
Ratliff/Tank < Maryland/Lett
Canty < Casillas/Hennings

James < Norton Jr
Thomas/Carp > Vinson Smith/Robert Jones

Newman == Pup
Henry > Brown
Williams < Everett
Hamlin << Woodson
Jones >> Gant *in nickel the 92 team played 3 safeties instead of 3 CBS

Folk > Willis/Elliot

I'm pretty certain that Woodson wasn't even starting on the 92-93 team. I think it was James Washington.

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
Depsite the knock on RW poor play I find it hard to believe theres another Cowboy safety not named Woodson you could consider better than him.
I'm guessing you've never heard of Cliff Harris?

alby

Reaction score
Although I agree with the OP. I think the biggest difference in talent is.

Jimmy Johnson >> Wade Phillips

you need talented coaches too.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;2247474 said:
Screw that I'd rather win with Zach Thomas than Akin Adoyele. I would be sick to my stomach if we had a player like Strahan and we won the superbowl.
That's because Zach is better. How old are you anyways?

JohnL2288

Reaction score
MarionBarberThe4th;2247391 said:
I do.

Athletes are becoming ridiculously bigger and faster. I dont know how those teams would deal w/ a guy like Adrian Peterson.

And in 15 years we will have guys run sub 4.0 40's, jumping 50+ inches, and benching 225 like 55 times.

:bang2:

you've been playing way too much Madden......or smoking something

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score
you've been playing way too much Madden......or smoking something

I havent bought Madden in a few years............. ;)

Its a fact. Todays athlete is bigger, stronger and faster than those of 15 years ago.

Jim Brown woud be just a guy if he played in this era.

And in 15 years we wil have athletes that make this team look slow