Zoners, they are saying on thefan cowboys skins rivalry isnt there anymore &

Reaction score
BIGDen;3171158 said:
This is how I see it based on what I see, read, and feel:

The Commanders certainly hate the Cowboys with a passion.
The Cowboys don't like the Commanders, but I only sense hatred and bitter rivalry from some fans.
The Cowboys HATE the Giants and that feeling is mutual (with fans and players).
The Eagles and Cowboys have a strong rivalry that I feel is more about competitiveness and less personal than it is between the Giants and Cowboys.

I think the Cowboys biggest rivals in the East are (in order):

Giants
Eagles (a close 2nd)
Commanders

All division opponents are rivals, but the Commanders are definitely not the top rival any longer, and haven't been for years, in my opinion.

You are fooling yourself mate. History says different.

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Their will ALWAYS be a monumental Commanders/Cowboys rivalry. It's the biggest rivalry in football. You can thank Snyder for the intensity going down on it, but you can bet your *** that if the Commanders were in the hunt, their would be none of this talk.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
FightingIrishman;3171162 said:
Isnt that dirt Burgundy and Gold?

Nice write-up btw. A lot of younger fans do not understand the history of the rivalry.
No. When Jim Zorn was hired he called their colors "Maroon, black, and yellow." I was quoting the Zorny one.

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
FightingIrishman;3171163 said:
Most of these fans and most of the players are right in line with what he posted.

This just isn't the 70s and 80s anymore, for better or worse.

BIGDen

Dr. Freakasaurus
Reaction score
FightingIrishman;3171163 said:

Not really. This is 2009, not 1981.
We're talking about the rivalry NOW.
If you think the rivalry with the Skins is as big as the rivalry with the Giants or Eagles currently is, you are fooling yourself.

vta

The Proletariat
Reaction score
It's all perspective and generation. Some are too young to remember much from the earlier Cowboys/Skins rivalry, then considering that the 'Skins haven't been anything but an inconvenience where's the rivalry?

The Giants have actually knocked us out of the playoffs, their players ****-talk endlessly and there is much more at stake in our games.

Rackat

Reaction score
I hated Billy Kilmer. I hated John Riggens. I hated the hogs. I hated Theisman. I hated Art Monk. Hell, I just hated the Commanders. Still do. The difference between the Washington rivalry is that I hate everything about them, while the Gnats and Iggles just piss me off.

I dislike the Giants.
I dislike the Eagles.
I HATE the Commanders.

Good years, bad years, even and odd years, that hate does not subside. I wouldn't piss on a Giant or Eagle to put them out, but I'd damn sure add fuel to the fire for a Commander.

You youngins that don't have the hate, I wonder where we older generations went wrong teaching you.

Reaction score
My dad grew up in Giants country, and I was born there until my family moved down to the DC area(Now I live in Ravens country for work). I'll say this in my middle school, and high school alone. Even at the University of Maryland there were alot of Cowboys fans lol. There were more Dallas Cowboys fans than I could count. DC is filled with Cowboys fans, and will continue to have a large Dallas Cowboys fanbase. Commanders fans? Please they only make up the East Coast markets. Thats about it. They hate us because they feel like they are the "Blue Collar" underdog. Well news flash the Commanders are far from Blue Collar. They are more on the lines of a team that is ran by a maniac with huge pockets. I love wearing my Cowboys hat anytime I go down to that city just to get under their skin.

links18

Reaction score
Anyone who suggests that the Commanders aren't our biggest rivals need to check themselves. Get a sense of history people. This is the greatest rivalry in ALL of professional sports. :p:

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
Hostile;3171145 said:
There has always been a bitterness between the Commanders and the Cowboys. It stems from the plotting and shenanigans of Clint Murchison and his cronies in securing a team in Dallas. Clint took great pride in getting under George Preston Marshall's skin. At one time the Dallas Cowboys owned the Commanders fight song, Hail to the Commanders. That has never happened to any other team in the NFL. The new generations of Commanders fans may not even care about this fact, but it gnaws at old time fans.

This rivalry as a great football matchup didn't really have a genesis until George Allen and the Over The Hill Gang arrived in Washington. There is a reason why Cowboys fans often say we are the Commanders Super Bowl. It is because of George Allen. He preached hatred of everything Cowboys and his players ate it up. So did the Commanders fans. The Commanders became winners under George Allen, but he made it known that they wouldn't be respected unless they could beat Dallas.

George Allen arrived in Washington in 1971. The Cowboys and Commanders had already been playing each other every year and were in the same Division. 1960 was the only year we didn't play a home and home series. They were division rivals. Allen made it a bitter rivalry.

The Cowboys had won 6 straight games and 3 season sweeps in the years before George Allen was named Commanders HC. From 1971 through 1976 the teams split the series and had some of their most brutal and memorable games. The most memorable would have to be the 1974 Thanksgiving game in which Diron Talbert knocked Roger Staubach out of the game. In came the 3rd string roookie, Clint Longley. He was one of the strangest guys to ever play for Tom Landry. He led the Cowboys to an amazing 24-23 victory. Longley was called the "Mad Bomber" for his deep passes that brought the team back.

Larry Cole called that win, "the triumph of an uncluttered mind." That described Longley to a tee. To put it mildly the mad was odd. From stories of him shooting prarie dogs from his dorm windows at Thousand Oaks during training camp, to his loading a pony into the back seat of his Cadillac to take him to a pasture owned by Charlie Waters, to his fist fight with Roger Staubach so he could get traded, Longley was just plain weird.

In 1977 the Cowboys swept the Commanders again, won their 2nd Super Bowl, and George Allen faded into the District of Columbia sunset.

The bitterness of the rivalry has lasted but it has faded a bit in intensity. The media see only the records of recent years and don't realize the History. The past History of these two teams does fuel a built in animosity for each other. Tom Landry and George Allen have left this earth but the rivalry they built does live on. Probably not with the intensity of the 1970's but it still exists.

For the media to say otherwise is pure folly and myopia. In 1989 when we won only 1 game, how many of us were satisfied that this one game was against the Commanders, in their house? I know I was. Interestingly enough that one win was a payback for 1961. That year the Commanders lone win was against us at their house. The game is best remembered for a foiled plot to release 74 white chickens and 1 black one onto the field at Commanders Stadium. The 1 black chicken was to be representative of the one Black player drafted by the Commanders after political pressure was applied by the Kennedy Administration.

In those days the NFL Drafts were held in late November or early December. The Commanders in late 1961 with a threat hanging over their head, became the last organization in the NFL to integrate. They Drafted Ernie Davis, the first Black man to win the Heisman Trophy. He was a RB for Syracuse. He also refused to play for a racist. His rights were traded to the Cleveland Browns and sadly he died of leukemia before he ever played a down in the NFL. That 1 black chicken was to be a slap in the face on National TV.

In 1962 two acrobats dressed as chickens jumped into the field during halftime and one of them released a live chicken onto the playing field. Clint Murchison loved to embarrass the Commanders and their owner.

The hatred of the rivalry has always been there, but it was most intense in the George Allen days. It has flashes of returning. For instance in 2005 when the Commanders swept us. Prior to that sweep we had streaks of 4 wins and 10 wins. More Commanders trolls showed up here on this site in 2005 after their 14-13 win in Dallas and then after the sweep than any other year. So don't tell me the rivalry isn't still alive.

If we sweep them on Sunday Night it will be their low point of the season. Don't tell them the rivalry still isn't alive either.

Get the broom Cowboys fans. There's some strange colored dirt to be swept away. Maroon, black, and yellow dirt.

Super post as always Hostile, thanks, but I thought I would let you know, on thefan 105.3 they were saying that the rivalry is dead, so if we win you can let them know big time come Monday morning.

Their number is 214-787-1053

Dont know of a toll free number. I would call in, but as you know i have spasmodic dysphonia and my voice is real scratchy and squeaky and they wont let me talk on air.

Apollo Creed

Stackin and Processin, Well
Reaction score
Its got more to do with the fact that we hate the Eagles and Giants much more, and the Skins never have anything to play for.

It never was a rivalry anyway, especially when one team keeps punching the other team in the mouth.

Reaction score
Apollo Creed;3171464 said:
Its got more to do with the fact that we hate the Eagles and Giants much more, and the Skins never have anything to play for.

It never was a rivalry anyway, especially when one team keeps punching the other team in the mouth.

And what exactly have we had to play for the last 14 years? Some fans are unbelievable.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
cowboyjoe;3171461 said:
Super post as always Hostile, thanks, but I thought I would let you know, on thefan 105.3 they were saying that the rivalry is dead, so if we win you can let them know big time come Monday morning.

Their number is 214-787-1053

Dont know of a toll free number. I would call in, but as you know i have spasmodic dysphonia and my voice is real scratchy and squeaky and they wont let me talk on air.
Just like the media cannot take away our nickname as "America's Team," they cannot kill a rivalry.

I will not deny the rivalry is not as heated as the Murchison vs. Marshall or Landry vs. Allen days. But only a blind fool or a media member would surmise the rivalry as dead.

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
Hostile;3171483 said:
Just like the media cannot take away our nickname as "America's Team," they cannot kill a rivalry.

I will not deny the rivalry is not as heated as the Murchison vs. Marshall or Landry vs. Allen days. But only a blind fool or a media member would surmise the rivalry as dead.

well, they were saying it was, while asking for your most memorable cowboys Commanders game. Mine was the hail mary clint longley threw to drew pearson, I was at that game. So, thought youd want to know, and if we won, let them know there is a rivalry and its not dead like they said it was, they went on to say that they thoughts the players didnt have the rivalry like former cowboys players like in the 70's or 90's. Like they were saying some dallas cowboys players are saying its not a big deal now with skins and cowboys. Thought youd want to know to give them a piece of your mind Hostile.