Zoners: This is the type of Discipline our team needs

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:23 am EDT

As of right now, Dwayne Bowe is not a starter in Kansas City
By MJD
That's a little bit of a shocking headline, no? The report comes from KansasCity.com's Chiefs beat reporter Adam Teicher, and he reports in his video blog that head coach Todd Haley is more than a little disenchanted with Bowe right now, and he's pulled him from the starting line-up.

"Todd Haley took Bowe out of the starting line-up at practice Monday, and afterwards, Haley indicated that he's just not happy that Bowe's with the program. Now, Todd Haley's tried to instill some discipline and conditioning to the Chiefs, and he just doesn't think that Bowe is with the program right now, and therefore, he's not in the starting line-up."

Wow. Since Bowe's regarded as one of the future stars in the league, and the Kansas City wide receiver depth chart is not overflowing with talent, that's a bold move.

Of course, Teicher also expresses confidence that Bowe will be back in the starting line-up before Week One. And yeah, it's hard to envision any scenario where that doesn't happen.

Still, that doesn't mean that there's nothing to take away from this. First, it could be an indication that maybe Bowe isn't going to have the huge year that many people expected him to have with Matt Cassel(notes) under center. And secondly, it's yet another sign that Todd Haley is not afraid to lay down the law. That certainly can't hurt.

Wow! Haley benched his young STUD wr! Props to the coach! :star:

Nexx

Reaction score
lol, i'd be more impressed if it were the regular season but demotion during camp is meaningless.

RCowboyFan

Reaction score
I am not a big fan of that kind of discipline working. Either you are motivated to be the best or not. You cannot be prodded to be one. Maybe temporarily you can be, but on the long run, if you don't have the desire to be great, you are not going to be.

Descipline is not just demoting players. Descipline can be what Cowboys are employing right now. I.e. taking players off the field if they make mistakes. Fining max when you are overweight etc. And mainly taking a no nonsense approach, which doesn't mean you have to be in the face, but make sure you are firm. I am not sure Wade is done that or will do that consistantly.

We shall see, but personally, I don't see Todd Haley lasting a long time in NFL as Head coach, unless he changes his personality somewhat as HC. I could be dead wrong on that, but till I see the proof, color unimpressed with Haley being a HC.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
RCowboyFan;2879557 said:
We shall see, but personally, I don't see Todd Haley lasting a long time in NFL as Head coach, unless he changes his personality somewhat as HC. I could be dead wrong on that, but till I see the proof, color unimpressed with Haley being a HC.

Same here. I can see him trying to be a mini-Parcells with the hard *** routine and it wearing thin very quickly. He was a real jerk here and it didn't go over so well.

viman96

Thread Killer
Reaction score
Reminds me of BP singling out a player and riding his butt. No doubt this is just as much about sending a message to the team as it is getting his point across to Bowe.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
lcharles;2879553 said:
Todd Haley would have benched T.O. if he could have.

:D

Todd Haley would have smashed TO in the face if it weren't against the law lol

I like that guy's fire, he doesn't back down from anybody, he gets in TO's face and Anquan Boldin's face

Kilyin

Reaction score
That's just posturing for the media. He'll be starting week 1.

Kilyin

Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;2879583 said:
Todd Haley would have smashed TO in the face if it weren't against the law lol

Or if he wasn't afraid of getting beaten like a rented mule afterwards.

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
Kilyin;2879597 said:
Or if he wasn't afraid of getting beaten like a rented mule afterwards.
yeah I doubt he'd get tough with Owens or Boldin in the locker room with no cameras around.

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
RCowboyFan;2879557 said:

I feel the same way.

I'm not convinced Haley and his tactics can last long term as a head coach. An assistant coach can get away with some things, because the head coach is ultimately there to calm the waters.

He's going to have to adjust, but I'm not sure if he can.

Doctor32

Hi-Definition Warrior
Reaction score
CrazyCowboy;2879520 said:
Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:23 am EDT

As of right now, Dwayne Bowe is not a starter in Kansas City
By MJD
That's a little bit of a shocking headline, no? The report comes from KansasCity.com's Chiefs beat reporter Adam Teicher, and he reports in his video blog that head coach Todd Haley is more than a little disenchanted with Bowe right now, and he's pulled him from the starting line-up.

"Todd Haley took Bowe out of the starting line-up at practice Monday, and afterwards, Haley indicated that he's just not happy that Bowe's with the program. Now, Todd Haley's tried to instill some discipline and conditioning to the Chiefs, and he just doesn't think that Bowe is with the program right now, and therefore, he's not in the starting line-up."

Wow. Since Bowe's regarded as one of the future stars in the league, and the Kansas City wide receiver depth chart is not overflowing with talent, that's a bold move.

Of course, Teicher also expresses confidence that Bowe will be back in the starting line-up before Week One. And yeah, it's hard to envision any scenario where that doesn't happen.

Still, that doesn't mean that there's nothing to take away from this. First, it could be an indication that maybe Bowe isn't going to have the huge year that many people expected him to have with Matt Cassel(notes) under center. And secondly, it's yet another sign that Todd Haley is not afraid to lay down the law. That certainly can't hurt.

Wow! Haley benched his young STUD wr! Props to the coach! :star:

Sounds like Haley is a "Parcells Poser." I'll be shocked if his players respond.

Big D

Reaction score
Why did this come about? What exactly did Bowe do to get this reaction from his coach?

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
Oh please. As if Bowe won't be in the starting lineup come the games that count. This is nothing more than trying to appear tough and the players see right through that crap. Bowe, and everyone there, knows that he'll be right back in the starting lineup when it matters. This is meaningless.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Chocolate Lab;2879577 said:
Same here. I can see him trying to be a mini-Parcells with the hard *** routine and it wearing thin very quickly. He was a real jerk here and it didn't go over so well.

He'll be mooning his team at halftime, week one.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Nexx;2879538 said:
lol, i'd be more impressed if it were the regular season but demotion during camp is meaningless.
Agreed. We'll see how much it actually means if he's not starting week 1.

Though the Chiefs are going to be awful this year anyways...might as well try to set the tone for a top 5 pick :laugh2:

Kevinicus

Reaction score
Big D;2879854 said:
Why did this come about? What exactly did Bowe do to get this reaction from his coach?

There was a story in the paper (KC Star) today that talked about Bowe dropping a lot of balls, especially in one particular drill that simulates contact just after the catch. Apparently he just kept dropping them over and over.

Matt

Reaction score
Rampage;2879545 said:
we'll never have that with Jerry in charge

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

?!?!? how long have you been a Cowboy fan??? Don't you mean... with Wade in charge?

Wait... Jerry hired Bill Parcells.. the walkover, I forgot. I'll shutup now.