Zoners: Top 5 Most Undesirable Cities

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
Danny White;3748113 said:
I lived just outside of Philadelphia for four years while I was in college, and it's not that bad of a city.

There are parts of it that aren't nice, but it's no where near as bad as some of the other cities listed like Detroit or Newark.

I've been on the South side of Philly plenty of times and never had one problem or thought it was all that bad. It's not beautiful or anything like that, but far from a hellhole. OTOH, the north side of Philly......

YR

ArmyCowboy

Reaction score
casmith07;3746649 said:
User opinion of course...lets see what places you all don't like!

5. Hinesville, GA - Everything that you could ever think was wrong about the south, lives here. I hope I never get stationed at Fort Stewart, GA. I'll lose my mind.

4. Highland Falls, NY - I really like West Point (after graduating). I really do. But the town just outside the main gate is abysmal. It's a small township with big city problems - prostitution, drugs, theft, you name it. Not to mention they took a good handful of inner city minorities and southern racists and threw them together in a 5 square-mile town. Makes for interesting times at the local pubs.

3. Baltimore, MD - people from the DC area can't even be bothered to look down their noses at Baltimore, and for good reason. Nothing great about this place. Sulfur in the air around the harbor, and a haven for criminals. When people talk about the "DMV" (DC-Maryland-Virginia) area, Baltimore is not included - and cities further from DC are.

2. Dover, DE - Absolutely nothing good about Dover. I've got some bad memories from this place, and would prefer that they just bulldoze it and let the Amish have it.

1. Philadelphia, PA - four straight years of Army/Navy losses in freezing temperatures surely contributes to my disdain for Philadelphia, but it runs deeper than that. Dirty, smelly, just not a great place to be. Lots of people that aren't exactly the nicest people in the world, and the abusive ex-boyfriend of a friend was from Philadelphia. Do not want.

Think Ft Stewart is bad, try getting stationed at Ft Riley Kansas.

Of all the places I've lived, that's the place I would least like to go back to.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
ArmyCowboy;3748529 said:

Of all the places I've lived, that's the place I would least like to go back to.

I was just informed that they are transferring you back to Ft Riley, Kansas. ;)

ArmyCowboy

Reaction score
CowboyMike;3747870 said:
El Paso Ranks Safest City In US

City Safest For Polulations Over 500,000

UPDATED: 3:51 pm MST November 21, 2010

EL PASO, Texas -- For the first time, El Paso has been named the city with the lowest crime rate in the United States with a population of over 500,000 residents.

Officials said El Paso Police Chief Greg Allen was proud to announce the ranking, which has just been released by CQ Press in its latest city crime rankings.

Honolulu, HI was the second safest city and New York, NY was the third.

Since 1997, El Paso has been ranked in the second or third spot of safest cities by this independent study. Other Texas cities in the top 10 are Austin at No. 6 and Fort Worth at No. 10.

In a release, police spokesman Darrel G. Petry stated, "Chief Allen attributes this accomplishment to the community policing efforts and the many partnerships that the El Paso Police Department has developed with citizens, other law enforcement agencies, city departments, and various civic groups throughout El Paso. Additionally, this success could not have been accomplished without the hard work and dedication of each and every El Paso Police Department employee, sworn and civilian that work each day to make El Paso the safest place in the United States. Chief Greg Allen wishes to extend his thanks to the citizens of El Paso for their continued success in making El Paso the safest in the United States to live and work."

Read the rest here: http://www.kvia.com/news/25870470/detail.html

I still own a house in El Paso.

Maybe I can jack up the rent a bit now. :p:

ArmyCowboy

Reaction score
nyc;3748545 said:

:eek:

Nope, haven't been here long enough and I'm retiring at the end of this tour at Ft Sam, anyway.

:D

Kangaroo

Reaction score
casmith07;3746649 said:
User opinion of course...lets see what places you all don't like!

5. Hinesville, GA - Everything that you could ever think was wrong about the south, lives here. I hope I never get stationed at Fort Stewart, GA. I'll lose my mind.

4. Highland Falls, NY - I really like West Point (after graduating). I really do. But the town just outside the main gate is abysmal. It's a small township with big city problems - prostitution, drugs, theft, you name it. Not to mention they took a good handful of inner city minorities and southern racists and threw them together in a 5 square-mile town. Makes for interesting times at the local pubs.

3. Baltimore, MD - people from the DC area can't even be bothered to look down their noses at Baltimore, and for good reason. Nothing great about this place. Sulfur in the air around the harbor, and a haven for criminals. When people talk about the "DMV" (DC-Maryland-Virginia) area, Baltimore is not included - and cities further from DC are.

2. Dover, DE - Absolutely nothing good about Dover. I've got some bad memories from this place, and would prefer that they just bulldoze it and let the Amish have it.

1. Philadelphia, PA - four straight years of Army/Navy losses in freezing temperatures surely contributes to my disdain for Philadelphia, but it runs deeper than that. Dirty, smelly, just not a great place to be. Lots of people that aren't exactly the nicest people in the world, and the abusive ex-boyfriend of a friend was from Philadelphia. Do not want.

Haha I spent my first year of school at Fort Stewart, GA my dad was stationed their

Kangaroo

Reaction score
Gary Indiana

Hell the entire state of Indiana and Illinois both suck

Yes I lived in Indiana and spent a lot of times in both States since I have a lot relatives up in those areas

Kangaroo

Reaction score
ArmyCowboy;3748558 said:
:eek:

Nope, haven't been here long enough and I'm retiring at the end of this tour at Ft Sam, anyway.

:D

Got the Cushy assignment Fort Sam I use to go there in the Reserves to pick up and drop off equipment for repairs, depot decommission and crap like that

ArmyCowboy

Reaction score
Kangaroo;3748663 said:
Got the Cushy assignment Fort Sam I use to go there in the Reserves to pick up and drop off equipment for repairs, depot decommission and crap like that

After three deployments, I'm not complaining.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
Phoenix;3746815 said:
For me, by far #1 is

NEWARK, NJ

WRETCHED!

I forgot Newark! Man I hate Newark! The only place worse than Newark is Brick City itself (Jersey City).

Man I could possibly up my list to 10. Newark, Jersey City, and Staten Island would definitely make the top 10 cut.

Oh and Shreveport, LA...holy CRAP.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
nyc;3748545 said:

Kangaroo;3748560 said:
Haha I spent my first year of school at Fort Stewart, GA my dad was stationed their

Fort Riley is not that bad these days. The housing situation has gotten better in Manhattan and the post itself is bustling pretty well. It's still the midwest, though.

Fort Stewart...I swear I'd rather go back to Fort Benning than go to Fort Stewart. Absolutely dreadful. Savannah is okay, though. But not better than Columbus, IMO due to proximity to Atlanta.

Atlanta is only good far north though, in Marietta, Alpharetta, and the Buckhead/Lenox area. Downtown ATL is fun until about the Hard Rock Cafe. Everything south of that is a train wreck until you get to Turner Field.

I'm more than likely going to settle down in Dallas when I retire from the service. I want to buy a home in Frisco.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
casmith07;3748987 said:
Atlanta is only good far north though, in Marietta

White trash and riff raff in Cobb County. I lived in Vinings for 5 years and hated to cross into Marietta and Smyrna because nobody makes their kids mind there of what little there is to do there.

Alpharetta,

Ugh. The land of people who make $80K a year and think they are the most important person in the world. I seriously contemplated bringing a Louisville Slugger in my car with me from all of the jerks on 400. You can't walk anywhere around there because everything is hilly and there's all traffic. And 'culture' there is strip malls.

and the Buckhead/Lenox area.

That was before they completely shut down the nightlife scene (which was decent). They got the bright idea to completely shut every bar down so they could build sky rise condos, right at the beginning of the housing crisis. Now they are all practically empty, Buckhead looks like a ghost town and all tourists either ask what happened to the bars or where that Buckhead place they heard was supposed to be good. The city tried to send everybody to 5 Points, which will never happen because it's too seedy. They tried Atlantic Station which is more or less another overpriced shopping area with a high crime rate. That leads up to the Va. Highlands which is overrated and overcramped since Buckhead isn't around anymore.

Downtown ATL is fun until about the Hard Rock Cafe. Everything south of that is a train wreck until you get to Turner Field.

Midtown is okay. Downtown is pretty horrendous and you never know what block is going to be okay or you might get robbed on. Around Turner Field is still horrendous. Then you get south enough into the Fayetteville and Newnan areas...but there's nothing do to there.

YR

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
casmith07;3748981 said:
I forgot Newark! Man I hate Newark! The only place worse than Newark is Brick City itself (Jersey City).

Man I could possibly up my list to 10. Newark, Jersey City, and Staten Island would definitely make the top 10 cut.

Oh and Shreveport, LA...holy CRAP.

Shreveport is harmless...

Does it suck? yep... but not as bad as many others...

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
Yakuza Rich;3749008 said:
White trash and riff raff in Cobb County. I lived in Vinings for 5 years and hated to cross into Marietta and Smyrna because nobody makes their kids mind there of what little there is to do there.

Point taken.

Ugh. The land of people who make $80K a year and think they are the most important person in the world. I seriously contemplated bringing a Louisville Slugger in my car with me from all of the jerks on 400. You can't walk anywhere around there because everything is hilly and there's all traffic. And 'culture' there is strip malls.

Man...when you really mention that you're right.

That was before they completely shut down the nightlife scene (which was decent). They got the bright idea to completely shut every bar down so they could build sky rise condos, right at the beginning of the housing crisis. Now they are all practically empty, Buckhead looks like a ghost town and all tourists either ask what happened to the bars or where that Buckhead place they heard was supposed to be good. The city tried to send everybody to 5 Points, which will never happen because it's too seedy. They tried Atlantic Station which is more or less another overpriced shopping area with a high crime rate. That leads up to the Va. Highlands which is overrated and overcramped since Buckhead isn't around anymore.

Haha...you're right about that too. There are really only a handful of spots to go at night, if that...and you're right about 5 Points. Shady as hell.

Midtown is okay. Downtown is pretty horrendous and you never know what block is going to be okay or you might get robbed on. Around Turner Field is still horrendous. Then you get south enough into the Fayetteville and Newnan areas...but there's nothing do to there.

YR

Midtown is okay for about 5 blocks, and ONLY on Peachtree.

You're right. I never realized how bad it was. Haha.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
trickblue;3749131 said:
Shreveport is harmless...

Does it suck? yep... but not as bad as many others...

I wouldn't go anywhere else, lol.

ArmyCowboy

Reaction score
casmith07;3748987 said:
Fort Riley is not that bad these days. The housing situation has gotten better in Manhattan and the post itself is bustling pretty well. It's still the midwest, though.

Fort Stewart...I swear I'd rather go back to Fort Benning than go to Fort Stewart. Absolutely dreadful. Savannah is okay, though. But not better than Columbus, IMO due to proximity to Atlanta.

Atlanta is only good far north though, in Marietta, Alpharetta, and the Buckhead/Lenox area. Downtown ATL is fun until about the Hard Rock Cafe. Everything south of that is a train wreck until you get to Turner Field.

I'm more than likely going to settle down in Dallas when I retire from the service. I want to buy a home in Frisco.

As far as Riley goes, the housing prices are still ridiculous in Manhattan and especially Junction City, the weather is horrible and there's absolutely nothing to do around there.

Now, I like being stationed in 1ID, the division was awesome, but the area is terrible.

Rynie

Benched
Reaction score
HOUSTON.

I hate everything about this god-forsaken city. My mom is from there and my grandma still lives in North Houston by herself. The highways are poorly marked, the car-pool lane system is ******** (you have to get off the highway and come to complete stop, or venture out 2 miles to find the HOV entrance), the city itself is ugly (and smelly), the weather is the WORST in the state of Texas, and it is one of the fattest cities in the country. I don't understand how a city that big can't even sustain a Six Flags.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
ZeroClub;3746841 said:
Savannah is a very nice town. Beautiful areas. Lots of tourists visit.

Zero, Savannah is beautiful. I get a chance to visit (business) and I never tire of it.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
ArmyCowboy;3748529 said:

I know why. You never called. I had the BBQ and beer all ready. If you come back let me know.

MetalHead

Benched
Reaction score
Kangaroo;3748651 said:
Gary Indiana

Hell the entire state of Indiana and Illinois both suck

Yes I lived in Indiana and spent a lot of times in both States since I have a lot relatives up in those areas

Horrendous place.Surprised it took 4 pages for it to come up.
Detroit,Newark are awful too.