IMO he is scared!

scared to fail
scared of contact
scared of getting hurt
scared of losing his job
scared of not getting a big contract
scared of people thinking he is not the man
scared of not living up to the legends that have played in Dallas

His first season he was not scared of anything. He ran free and played with heart.

Reaction score
If you go back and watch the film, you'll see Julius' huge runs all come from draw and delay plays. I think he runs very well when he can see the whole field in front of him, like on a draw. It's almost like open field running right from the backfield. However, on straight handoffs he doesn't have the vision to see where he needs to make the first cut.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
viman96;1719488 said:
IMO he is scared!

scared to fail
scared of contact
scared of getting hurt
scared of losing his job

His first season he was not scared of anything. He ran free and played with heart.
That is probably closer to the truth than most realize.

cowboyed

Reaction score
Clove;1719389 said:
JJ is NOT a playmaking RB. He's a solid RB that will give you greatness, and then sadness (sadness more than greatness) He doesn't run with LOVE, he runs with desperation and anger (reminds me of How RW plays)

That is a brilliant comparative and very true. I have thought so myself that Jones distinguishes himself when he is angry, like in the Seattle game last year. Roy Williams like Julius does seem to play better when provoked or angry. Roy has also gotten more spiritual over the last few years, maybe he brings that to the football field as well.

Then again he rarely hits the holy crap out of someone. It's confusing...life is a hamburger.

CM Duck

I'm breaking the 4th wall...
Reaction score
zrinkill;1719397 said:
He is not Emmitt or Dorsett.

And we are spoiled.

He is not Marion either.....MBIII needs more touches earlier and more often

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
viman96;1719488 said:
IMO he is scared!

scared to fail
scared of contact
scared of getting hurt
scared of losing his job

I agree 100%. I also think there's something to him gaining too much weight.

That quickness and shiftiness we saw as a rookie is long gone.

cwalk

Reaction score
I think if jj had the full load he would do fine....but we have two good backs so it will never happend!

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
cwalk;1719516 said:
I think if jj had the full load he would do fine....but we have two good backs so it will never happend!

I disagree,

JJ has had many chances and has not done much with it.

MB3 is earning his way.

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He was never that great to begin with.

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;1719440 said:
My sources tell me that some cowboy fan in a crazy mask hypnotized JJ and made him run like a robot but at the same time he made JJ blame bill for it.

Those are pretty good sources you have, I will look into this in deeper detail :starspin

TRUTH87

Cowboy for Life
Reaction score
this is wut comes to mind on the old Julius and 'new' JJ.

(Old Julius) - Game @ Seattle on a Monday night. outstanding performance.
- game vs. Bears @ TS, wut a runn!!!!

(New Julius) - oh great!! 2 yard gain!!! :mad:

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
This thread is amusing as can be. Funny how some who would have defended him tooth and nail will now have to acknowledge the truth that no, it was not Coach Parcells' fault and yes, he is quite average.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
Alexander;1719591 said:
This thread is amusing as can be. Funny how some who would have defended him tooth and nail will now have to acknowledge the truth that no, it was not Coach Parcells' fault and yes, he is quite average.

Nice post. Thanks for posting.

:laugh2:

dooomsday

Reaction score
If my memory serves me correctly JuJo playedfor BP, in BP's O and his by his style during those first several games too. Asking a RB to hold onto the ball shouldn't ruin them. See Tiki Barber/Tom Coughlin.

sacase

Reaction score
JJ is a good back, not a elite back like most people hoped, so really he is the victim of others expectations. He can start for many teams in the league. The biggest problem he has is fan perception. What is funny to me, is what happens when MBIII gets stuffed just like JJ? All of the MBIII lovers say oh well the line blocked poorly. When JJ gets hit in the backfield people complain that he can't make anyone miss. Like it or not, that run that Barber had in the endzone was a very very poor choice, no matter how amazing it looked. That was extreamly poor judgement and shows one of the reasons that MBIII is not starting. If you are the starter you cannot make poor choices like that. Is JJ a full time back? Probably not. Is MBIII? Probably not. They compliment each other very well, live with it.

Also look at the play calling that MBIII and JJ get. JJ should be the one running the lead draw, that is where he excels.

burmafrd

Reaction score
something happened. The monday night game- last game of the season- Madden was talking about JJ like he was the next great back. they did replays of virtually every run. He was juking and jitterbugging and making people miss so bad they were hanging their heads as they went back to the D huddle. Madden even commented a couple of times about that.
I think he bulked up too much in the upper body and that affected his quickness and balance. Then BP got at him about not following the play.
that messed with his head. The combination turned what was a very promising back into just a guy all too often. Add to that he is NOT used in ways that go to his strenght: stretch plays, draws (how many draws has he gotten the last 2 years?), sweeps, etc. Instead they run him inside.
Then you add to the fact we do NOT have a good run blocking line. they are only good once the D is worn down. The guys in 04 were not very good at pass blocking but they were better then this bunch at run blocking.

CowboyMike

Stay Thirsty, My Friends
Reaction score
I actually think he hits the hole too fast. If you study tape from his rookie year, he was more patient behind the line of scrimmage. He as actually excellent at making people miss before he hit the whole. A little shimmy and then he was gone.

I truly believe he's been programmed by Parcells to hit the hole even if it's not there. His vision and patience was drilled out of him.