IMO he is scared!

scared to fail
scared of contact
scared of getting hurt
scared of losing his job
scared of not getting a big contract
scared of people thinking he is not the man
scared of not living up to the legends that have played in Dallas

His first season he was not scared of anything. He ran free and played with heart.

True stuff. You can see he is trying to play with a chip on his shoulder this year. As someone mentioned, a system like Denver & a change might be best for him.

I do think that Bill "coached him up" too much however....much like our secondary.

AtomicDog

Reaction score
IDEA: Why not trade him to Denver? Shanahan could probably revitalize Jones. Trade him for a DB or a pick. Oh well, too late for trades this year.

Jack-Reacher

MTRS-Jon
Reaction score
viman96;1719488 said:
IMO he is scared!

scared to fail
scared of contact
scared of getting hurt
scared of losing his job
scared of not getting a big contract
scared of people thinking he is not the man
scared of not living up to the legends that have played in Dallas

His first season he was not scared of anything. He ran free and played with heart.

I agree with this as well. I have been a big JJ defender in the past, but I have since jumped onto the MBIII bandwagon as the starter.

I think that he has not fully recovered from breaking his collarbone. I am sure that it has healed but I wonder if mentally he isn't concerned about it and therefore wont drop his shoulder and try to run through somebody. It looks like he is always trying to shift away from contact which puts him off balance and then goes down easily. If he would drop his shoulder and hit somebody like MBIII does I think his numbers would be a lot better. Unfortunately, it is hard to "coach" fear out of someone.

Jon

Nav22

Reaction score
Since we're all coming up with theories, here's mine...

I blame his brother. Yeah, I said it... his brother. Thomas Jones, Jets starting RB.

Remember that Thanksgiving game in 2004? We saw the Jones brothers go head-to-head, and Julius came out on top.

Julius wasn't big or strong, but he was quick and shifty... Thomas was the big, strong bruiser.

And what has happened since then? Julius has trained with his brother in Arizona. If you've seen any interviews that involve Thomas and Julius together, it's easy to see that Julius still idolizes his big brother. So Thomas' way HAD to be the right way, figured Julius.

And what has been the result? A bigger, stronger Julius. He has lost some of his quickness and shiftiness. He has poor balance due to the increased upper-body weight, which contributes a great deal to his tendency to go down on the first hit.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

cowboyed

Reaction score
But yet when he is focused and pissed off he plays like the Jones of old. I think bulking up is a factor but mind sometimes overcomes matter.