'08 Draft- McFadden gone - and your next pick is???

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
theogt;1542592 said:
Not sure. Maybe 5'11" at most. Looks about 5'10" or so. He's about 5-6 inches shorter than Randy Moss.

http://img509.*************/img509/2244/jacksonst3.jpg

Well, I'm glad you can tell so much from a still of a video. Until proven wrong, I'll give the benefit of the doubt to what he's listed as on every website or description of him that I've seen.

Apparently, the height isn't the issue anyway. If he's shorter, then he's a "more solid" 172, right? He's still taller than some great WRs.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
peplaw06;1542639 said:
Well, I'm glad you can tell so much from a still of a video. Until proven wrong, I'll give the benefit of the doubt to what he's listed as on every website or description of him that I've seen.

Apparently, the height isn't the issue anyway. If he's shorter, then he's a "more solid" 172, right? He's still taller than some great WRs.
Uhhh...ok. You can go on believing he is six foot if you like. So how about that property? Or how about a nice bridge?

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
Bizwah;1542528 said:
Simple....I never said I completely wouldn't "consider" him. I wouldn't "consider" him in round one at 166.
Look I understand being skeptical about a guy so slight. but at what point does playmaking ability outweigh a guy's stature? If he wins the Heisman and weighs 172, do you consider him in Round 1 then? Don't you think that by refusing to look at a guy who is one of the most explosive in the NCAA simply because he's a couple pounds light is a little close-minded?

Todd Pinkston and Brandon Lloyd could play in college. So could a lot of other guys.
I don't think those guys were Heisman candidates.

Size matters in the NFL. Line up Jackson against DeAngelo Hall. Hall would cream him off the route..........
You could say the same thing about Ginn, but someone picked him in the Top 10. With the pass interference rules being more strict size matters less in today's league IMO.

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
theogt;1542640 said:
Uhhh...ok. You can go on believing he is six foot if you like. So how about that property? Or how about a nice bridge?

Yeah... nevermind. I'll take your word over everyone else, because you showed a still of a video. Can you tell how much he weighs too? What is it, like 140? I know you have that superhuman ability to be able to tell how tall a guy is from seeing him on TV, does it work for weight too? You know, the camera adds 10 pounds... I hope you're taking that into account.

Reaction score
Ill take Jake Long...

Jackson and Mario are a poor mans Ted Ginn with less highlights. Slaton is too small, McFadden might be gone

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
peplaw06;1542643 said:
Yeah... nevermind. I'll take your word over everyone else, because you showed a still of a video. Can you tell how much he weighs too? What is it, like 140? I know you have that superhuman ability to be able to tell how tall a guy is from seeing him on TV, does it work for weight too? You know, the camera adds 10 pounds... I hope you're taking that into account.
You do realize we know exactly how tall Moss is right (6'4")? And that Jackson is standing right beside him? Moss could put his chin on Jackson's head if he stood up straight.

But why believe your own eyes when a college website lists his height? I mean they never stretch the truth right?

Bizwah

Reaction score
peplaw06;1542642 said:
Look I understand being skeptical about a guy so slight. but at what point does playmaking ability outweigh a guy's stature? If he wins the Heisman and weighs 172, do you consider him in Round 1 then? Don't you think that by refusing to look at a guy who is one of the most explosive in the NCAA simply because he's a couple pounds light is a little close-minded?

I haven't seen anyone hyping the guy for a Heismann. But there have been a ton of great "college" players to have won a Heismann that have done NOTHING in the NFL.

So, he can very well be a great college player at 172 (although every single thing I've read has him at 166), but I have serious reservations about his NFL potential.

No, I don't think it's "close-minded"....I think I'm being realistic and careful. I hope our scouting department is the same way.

You could say the same thing about Ginn, but someone picked him in the Top 10. With the pass interference rules being more strict size matters less in today's league IMO.

I think picking Ginn in round one was a bad idea.

As far as when his ability out trumps his measurables....Round 2.......I think drafting a player as small as Jackson is too big of a risk in round one. I'll admit....I've only watched his highlight reels. I haven't seen him in a game.....maybe my mind will change....I plan on watching him as much as possible this season.

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
theogt;1542645 said:
You do realize we know exactly how tall Moss is right (6'4")? And that Jackson is standing right beside him? Moss could put his chin on Jackson's head if he stood up straight.

But why believe your own eyes when a college website lists his height? I mean they never stretch the truth right?

How do you know exactly how tall Moss is? Where did you get that info? Was it a "website?"

And you certainly can't make a comparison from a television camera. You have no idea what is going on outside the camera. You don't know the angle the camera is shooting from, you don't know if they're equidistant from the lens. You don't know what kind of shoes Moss or Jackson are wearing.... etc.

Certainly you don't think a camera = seeing it with your own eyes. Even you can't believe that.

How much does he weigh?

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
Bizwah;1542648 said:
I haven't seen anyone hyping the guy for a Heismann.
http://heismanpundit.com/?sectionid=6
But there have been a ton of great "college" players to have won a Heismann that have done NOTHING in the NFL.

So, he can very well be a great college player at 172 (although every single thing I've read has him at 166), but I have serious reservations about his NFL potential.

No, I don't think it's "close-minded"....I think I'm being realistic and careful. I hope our scouting department is the same way.
Sure there have been Heisman winners do nothing in the NFL... Just like I said, nothing is guaranteed.

And sorry, but if he wins the Heisman -- with guys like McFadden, Booty, Brennan, and Slaton vying for the award -- and you don't consider him at all in the first round because he weighs 166 or 172, that would be the epitome of close-mindedness.

There are concerns with just about every single pick in the draft. Calvin Johnson was about the only player in this year's draft who didn't have significant concerns attached to him. And the year before, everyone had issues, even Reggie Bush. But he was a great playmaker, and that outweighed the concerns in most people's minds.

I think picking Ginn in round one was a bad idea.

As far as when his ability out trumps his measurables....Round 2.......I think drafting a player as small as Jackson is too big of a risk in round one. I'll admit....I've only watched his highlight reels. I haven't seen him in a game.....maybe my mind will change....I plan on watching him as much as possible this season.
If all you have seen is highlights, I don't blame you for being skeptical because of his measurables. I'm just not going to give your opinion much weight FYI.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
peplaw06;1542639 said:

I wouldn't trust what a player's school lists them as, West Virginia gave their WR this year 3 inches in height, can't remember his name, but he was just 6 feet, and WVU listed him at 6'3"

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;1542667 said:
I wouldn't trust what a player's school lists them as, West Virginia gave their WR this year 3 inches in height, can't remember his name, but he was just 6 feet, and WVU listed him at 6'3"

Well, by all means, believe Theo and his video still from ESPN-deuce. We all know THAT is much more credible.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
peplaw06;1542671 said:
Well, by all means, believe Theo and his video still from ESPN-deuce. We all know THAT is much more credible.

I'm just saying don't believe what a school lists their players as

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
theogt;1542468 said:
By the way, if you believe Jackson is 6' tall, I've got some ocean-front property to sell you.

exactly what im saying. most of the people who are on jacksons jockstrap havent even seen him play if they're believing the whole 172, 6ft mess. the guy is skinny, and he's not very tall. im not saying jackson shouldnt go 1st rd, because thats obviously talent wise. but with clevelands pick if its top 5? no way in hell. trade down, and try to get him, if not oh well, theres mario manningham, and limas sweed. and dont forget this name, devon bess from hawaii. besides, unless theres a calvin johnson in the draft which there isnt, i think jerry has shown that he wont pick a wr in the 1st round.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
there's also that WR from TCU, the WR class is again going to be loaded, but I think this next class is going to be stronger

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;1542696 said:
there's also that WR from TCU, the WR class is again going to be loaded, but I think this next class is going to be stronger

im not even concern about wr in 08. owens will be back at a bargain price of 7 mil. glenn will be back, witten will be back. dallas will need a wr to fill in craytons role. somebody is going to steal him away like the pats stole welker.

a 2nd or a 3rd on a wr is fine with me.

i'd rather see dallas get a CB, RB, OL, or a QB if romo fails before a wr in the 1st round.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
LatinMind;1542700 said:
im not even concern about wr in 08. owens will be back at a bargain price of 7 mil. glenn will be back, witten will be back. dallas will need a wr to fill in craytons role. somebody is going to steal him away like the pats stole welker.

a 2nd or a 3rd on a wr is fine with me.

i'd rather see dallas get a CB, RB, OL, or a QB if romo fails before a wr in the 1st round.

I'm not concerned, just we need to have a potential #1 Wr in place because Glenn and TO won't be here forever, and rookie WRs usually take a year or 2 to start producing much, so when it's time for us to replace Terry and TO, we have a #1 waiting to step up, along w/ hopefully somebody out of Austin, Hurd, and Stanback to fill the 2 and 3 spots

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;1542703 said:
I'm not concerned, just we need to have a potential #1 Wr in place because Glenn and TO won't be here forever, and rookie WRs usually take a year or 2 to start producing much, so when it's time for us to replace Terry and TO, we have a #1 waiting to step up, along w/ hopefully somebody out of Austin, Hurd, and Stanback to fill the 2 and 3 spots

i got no expectations for them. hurd i've seen in action. i think he could be 3 at some point. austin? he's had 1 return for a td, after 3 games with fumbles. just looks like a better version of reggie swinton to me. stanback, bad pick.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
LatinMind;1542710 said:
i got no expectations for them. hurd i've seen in action. i think he could be 3 at some point. austin? he's had 1 return for a td, after 3 games with fumbles. just looks like a better version of reggie swinton to me. stanback, bad pick.

I guess we see different then, although I agree that Hurd looks like a #3 guy

but you just underscored right here why we should be looking for some top-talent at WR in the next couple of drafts

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;1542713 said:
I guess we see different then, although I agree that Hurd looks like a #3 guy

but you just underscored right here why we should be looking for some top-talent at WR in the next couple of drafts

yeah within the next couple of drafts. not really this one, especially if it was with clevelads pick, as this thread has mentioned.

i could see dallas trading down and picking up a 1st in 09 if brohm is available when dallas picks.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
LatinMind;1542721 said:
yeah within the next couple of drafts. not really this one, especially if it was with clevelads pick, as this thread has mentioned.

i could see dallas trading down and picking up a 1st in 09 if brohm is available when dallas picks.

I'm more inclined to taking a WR w/ our original pick, but that's just what I'm thinking, I have no idea how the college year and the draft is going to unfold, so I'm just running through some scenarios till then

about trading down, it depends on where we pick, if we're in the top 10, it's hard to find takers as we all saw how Washington was trying so hard to trade down but found none