1 last Jaelen Phillips discussion before the draft

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I wish I knew how you guys know this.
I could see him being a surprise pick by the Giants or Eagles. Could even see Detroit or Carolina suprising people ahead of us. If people get good medical reports, I think they could be surprised by how high he goes

Malhavoc

Reaction score
I could see him being a surprise pick by the Giants or Eagles. Could even see Detroit or Carolina suprising people ahead of us. If people get good medical reports, I think they could be surprised by how high he goes
I think it’s more than the medical reports. When I had my Zoom call with this kid I’d have to be really comfortable with the belief that this kid was going to be all in.

DFWJC

Reaction score
We have the opportunity to take the best talent on defense in this draft and it looks like we will settle for a corner because of need.

Our pass rush isn’t anything special to begin with and there is a guy with Joey Bosa type of talent just sitting there waiting to be picked.

Now is there some concerns we as fans can’t get answers to? Sure.

But Dallas has a chance to pick a prototype player at a premium position and all signs point to them taking a do nothing corner.

If you want to take our defense to the next level you draft players like this.

I don’t understand how their could be so much hype about K’lavon Chaisson a year ago and a year later we are so confident in our pass rush that we are thinking of taking a corner.

If we did that trade down all the way to 20, and Phillips was there (which is very possible) then I'd be up for it!

Phillips + an extra 2nd + an extra 4th or so?
YES
, that is is worth the 10th pick.

I would not take him straight up at 10

JBS

Reaction score
Sorry.. I read the guy isn’t going to last very long and took it as his career wouldn’t last long. My bad.

Oh no worries. No, he's easily the best edge in the class. I'm hearing his medicals long term look fine. That to me suggests he should go pretty early.

DoctorChicken

Reaction score
If his medicals check out I’d definitely draft him. He’s the best defensive player in the draft in my opinion.

But multiple concussions is a scary thing, and impossible to predict when they’ll happen in the future. If this dude gets a couple more I can see him retiring, and I don’t blame him. No one wants dementia when they’re 50.

Then we’d be the idiots who drafted Phillips even though he has a history of medical problems, just like LVE.

vicjagger

Reaction score
We have the opportunity to take the best talent on defense in this draft and it looks like we will settle for a corner because of need.

Our pass rush isn’t anything special to begin with and there is a guy with Joey Bosa type of talent just sitting there waiting to be picked.

But Dallas has a chance to pick a prototype player at a premium position and all signs point to them taking a do nothing corner.

I don’t understand how their could be so much hype about K’lavon Chaisson a year ago and a year later we are so confident in our pass rush that we are thinking of taking a corner.

Everyone I do mock I am staring at him or Richie Grant @44....

Cowboyny

Reaction score

I like Phillips, but there is a lot of things they need to look at. A doctor recommended he quit the game due to multiple concussions. He only has 1 real year of good production. Reportedly, doesn't love the game and wants to persue a music career. I like the player, but 10 is too high due to medical concerns, he would be a trade back target. Dan said he can go anywhere for 15 to 40.

baltcowboy

Reaction score

Sorry brother but Phillips is not even close to the prospects that Surtain and Horne are as cornerbacks. The corners are walk in starters at 21 years of age with no injury history and have tested well athletically as cornerbacks. I have watched Phillips at Miami, good player but not even much better then Rouseau. Plus you can’t ignore the injury history. The guy almost retired from football. His next concussion might be the last time he plays.

I don’t understand your love for LVE and hatred of Jaylon. LVE had neck issues coming out of school and it showed up in year two. He has barely played in the last two seasons. Jaylon injury never fully healed but at least he plays in every game. I can name about 8 players the Cowboys should have drafted over LVE in the first round, you cannot name one you would have drafted over Jaylon in the second. The problem with Jaylon was the contract extension not his draft position. He was a successful second round pick. LVE has lots to prove this season because to me he is just Mr. Glass. Now after writing this post I think we need to draft Parsons.:omg:

fivetwos

Reaction score
I like Phillips, but there is a lot of things they need to look at. A doctor recommended he quit the game due to multiple concussions. He only has 1 real year of good production. Reportedly, doesn't love the game and wants to persue a music career. I like the player, but 10 is too high due to medical concerns, he would be a trade back target. Dan said he can go anywhere for 15 to 40.
If any of that is true Dallas is the worst environment for him to be in.

I still want a rusher with the top pick and Ojulari works for me. Hopefully with a deal down.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
If any of that is true Dallas is the worst environment for him to be in.

I still want a rusher with the top pick and Ojulari works for me. Hopefully with a deal down.
We are taking a corner, but way too risky to take Phillips at 10.

fivetwos

Reaction score
We are taking a corner, but way too risky to take Phillips at 10.
I really would rather find a corner elsewhere.

If you retain Diggs in three years you basically can't keep Surtain/Horn beyond their rookie deal.

I guess that's something to worry about when it comes, but I would think we would want to retain all of our high picks as a goal since we don't seek high end starters in FA.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I really would rather find a corner elsewhere.

If you retain Diggs in three years you basically can't keep Surtain/Horn beyond their rookie deal.

I guess that's something to worry about when it comes, but I would think we would want to retain all of our high picks as a goal since we don't seek high end starters in FA.
You certainly can keep two corners. That decision is still 3 years away. 10 picks means, quality/cheap labor. This is why they need to hit on the majority of their picks.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

He isnt even the best DE in the draft. Delete your account you dont know football.

You are the same guy that told us Beathheard and Kaaya were better than Mahomes.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
None of us even know what the risk is.

He’s had 2 successful years at Miami and plays a position that’s not going to take a lot of shots to the head.

Everything we know as fans says this player is a green light unless there is some information that I’m not aware of.

How many sacks did he have last year?

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
People get mad that we drafted injured guys LVE and Jaylon but want to draft a guy top 10 with a serious injury history.

Lets remember that Catch17 is the same guy that said Beatheard and Kaaya were better QB's than Mahomes a few years ago.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I’m fine with the LVE pick and I still am.

I hated the Jaylon Smith pick and I still do because...

1. He had a potential career ending injury.

2. He was horrible value because we took him with a premium pick when he was viewed as untouchable.

Phillips is putting a high level of football on display for multiple years.

Phillips is the 3rd ranked DE in this class, in a bad class for defense and DE's overall. He is also a big injury risk. This is another classic Catch17 laugher.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

A Hell of a Player - But Jaelan Phillips Not Worth the Risk at No. 14 - Vikings Territory

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Oh no worries. No, he's easily the best edge in the class. I'm hearing his medicals long term look fine. That to me suggests he should go pretty early.

Why? Because Phillips has been hampered by injuries to the utmost in his young career.

His injury history went so far as to create this Bleacher Report headline from 2018: