1 Round GM Mock... (w/rest of Dallas Picks)

SDogo

Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev
Reaction score
This is what you get when you have a bunch if draft geeks and independent scouts sitting around an airport for 3 hours because they were given the wrong departure time.

Anyways, 8 of us took 4 teams each. Picked teams out of a hat. I got the Cowboys (Of course I cheated, was pulling the names and holding the hat)

ROUND 1
1. Carolina: Nick Fairley, DT, Auburn

2. Cleveland (Traded W/Denver): Da'Quan Bowers, DE, Clemson

3. Buffalo: Marcel Dareus, DT, Alabama

4. 49ers (Traded W/Bengals): Blaine Gabbert, QB, Missouri

5. Arizona: Robert Quinn, DE, North Carolina

6. Dallas: (Traded W/Denver): Patrick Peterson, DB, LSU

7. Bengals (Traded W/49ers): AJ Green, WR, Georgia

8. Titans: Cam Newton, QB, Auburn

9. Denver (Traded W/Dallas): Adrian Clayborn, DE, Iowa

10. Lions (Traded W/Washington): Prince Amukamara, CB, Nebraska

11. Texans: Aldon Smith, OLB, Missouri

12. Vikings: Corey Liuget, DT, Illinois

13. Commanders: Julio Jones, WR, Alabama

14. Patriots (Traded W/Rams): Mark Ingram, RB, Alabama

15. Dolphins: Mike Pouncey, OG, Florida

16. Eagles (Trade W/ Jacksonville): Nate Solder, OT, Colorado

17. Rams (Trade W/ Patriots): Akeem Ayers, OLB, UCLA

18. Chargers: Cameron Jordan, DE, Cal

19. Giants: Tyron Smith, OT, USC

20. Tampa Bay: Brandon Harris, CB, Miami

21. Chiefs: Justin Houston, OLB, Georgia

22. Colts: Anthony Castonzo, OT, Boston College

23. Jacksonville (Traded W/Eagles): Torrey Smith, WR, Maryland

24. Saints: Muhammad Wilkerson, DT, Temple

25. Seattle: Cameron Heyward, DE, Ohio St

26. Ravens: Jimmy Smith, CB, Colorado

27. Falcons: Ryan Kerrigan, DE, Purdue

28. Patriots: Phil Taylor, DT, Baylor

29. Bears: Danny Watkins, OG, Baylor

30. Jets: JJ Watt, DE, Wisconsin

31. Pittsburgh: Rodney Hudson, OG, Florida St

32. Packers: Gabe Carimi, OT, Wisconsin

Round 2

33. Commanders (traded W/NE): Jake Locker, QB, Washington

34. Buffalo: Martinez Wilson, ILB, Illinois

35. Bengals: Mikel LeShoure, RB, Illinois

36. Denver: Kyle Rudolph, TE, Notre Dame

37. Browns: Jon Baldwin, WR, Pitt

38. Cardinals: Christian Ponder, QB, Florida St

39. Houston (Traded W/Tenn): Christian Ballard, DE, Iowa

40. Cowboys: Derek Sherrod, OT, Mississippi St

Round 3
no pick, used to trade up in 1st round

Round 4
Traded Back W/Eagles, Picked up selection 119 in the 4th and 146th in the 5th round

119. Lawrence Guy, DT/DE, Arizona St

Round 5

140. Lee Ziemba, OG, Auburn

146. Cecil Shorts, WR, Mount Union

Round 6
Traded W/Miami. Gave up 6th round pick for 206 and 207 in the 7th round and a 6th round pick in 2012

Round 7

206. Orie Lemon, ILB, Oklahoma St

207. Traded to Cleveland for 5th round pick in 2012

I know I traded away some picks but I'm keeping the faith that the CBA will be worked out before the draft and I expect Dallas to fill some holes with Free Agents.

So in Short, we walked away from this with:

Round 1: Patrick Peterson, DB
Round 2: Derek Sherrod, OT
Round 4: Lawrence Guy, DE/DT
Round 5: Lee Ziemba, OG
Round 5: Cecil Shorts III, WR
Round 7: Orie Lemon, ILB

Also added an additional 5th and 6th round pick in 2012

eh, fun way to pass 3 hours.

SDogo

Reaction score
Trace1015;3845942 said:
I love the first 2 picks but no safety?

The man in your sig............if all else fails.

If the CBA is done I fully expect to see a Safety brought in.

UnoDallas

Benched
Reaction score
SDogo;3845946 said:
The man in your sig............if all else fails.

If the CBA is done I fully expect to see a Safety brought in.

yup me to also we have AOA on squad

I expect to here some noise about him

but would like to draft at least one Saftey

Trace1015

Reaction score
Who do you think is better Deunta Williams or Quinton Carter and whats your opinion on Aaron Williams from texas

SDogo

Reaction score
Trace1015;3845958 said:
Who do you think is better Deunta Williams or Quinton Carter and whats your opinion on Aaron Williams from texas

Carter is not very physical and the more I watch of him the less I like him (need to update my mock in my sig:D)

Love Williams but I wonder how much he will be ready to contribute this year, esp with any kind of NFL lockout. The time he would miss would be disaster for him. Dallas needs someone who can play now.

Aaron Williams needs fundamental work bad. As a natural athlete he can work the Zone and excels in man but if he's forced to turn and run he has very sloppy hips and is slow in transition. He will drive fans crazy, esp those in Dallas because he loves to play off the ball.......well off the ball and a lot of that is because he knows his limitations that I just described. He will also pull a Mike Jenkins in run support. He's not a very physical player.

You know, a name at SS that has been lost in the mix lately is Clemson SS DeAndre McDaniel. I'm starting to go back and re watch game film on him. He was such a hot name early.

batman36

Reaction score
SDogo;3845967 said:
Carter is not very physical and the more I watch of him the less I like him (need to update my mock in my sig:D)
SDogo;3845967 said:
Love Williams but I wonder how much he will be ready to contribute this year, esp with any kind of NFL lockout. The time he would miss would be disaster for him. Dallas needs someone who can play now.

Aaron Williams needs fundamental work bad. As a natural athlete he can work the Zone and excels in man but if he's forced to turn and run he has very sloppy hips and is slow in transition. He will drive fans crazy, esp those in Dallas because he loves to play off the ball.......well off the ball and a lot of that is because he knows his limitations that I just described. He will also pull a Mike Jenkins in run support. He's not a very physical player.

You know, a name at SS that has been lost in the mix lately is Clemson SS DeAndre McDaniel. I'm starting to go back and re watch game film on him. He was such a hot name early.
I wouldn't have ever suggested you change your opinion of him, but as a Sooner fan, and a frequent visitor to their home games, I've seen Carter play many times in person. He takes poor angles, looks for the 'big hit,' and he isn't as physical as his size would suggest. I personally think he wouldn't be much of a long term answer. By-the-way, thanks for your contributions.

Randy White

Reaction score
at all, but I can almost bet my life that if the Cowboys use a 3rd round pick to trade up with Denver, you're going to see Jerry moving down in the 2nd to either acquire a 3rd round pick or another 4th round pick.

ThreeandOut

Reaction score
Randy White;3846004 said:
at all, but I can almost bet my life that if the Cowboys use a 3rd round pick to trade up with Denver, you're going to see Jerry moving down in the 2nd to either acquire a 3rd round pick or another 4th round pick.

Not if Sherrod is there in the 2nd.

The Realist

Reaction score
SDogo......

It would appear by the way the picks fell you didn't need to move up for Peterson. Titan's locked and loaded on a QB and Cincy goes AJ in 95% of the mocks I have seen. They could use a QB too if one slides with Carson's trade demands.

Seems like you could have done better than the DE from ASU in 4 too. I personally would prefer another OG there and go heavy on OL vs a 3-4 DL. If I had to go DE I would go Powe the 330 NT if we are seriously considering Rat to DE.

Other than that nice draft.

burmafrd

Reaction score
I think you would need more than what you used to move up 4 spots. I think we would have to use more than a 3rd. Its really expensive to move up to the 5th slot.

SDogo

Reaction score
burmafrd;3846152 said:
I think you would need more than what you used to move up 4 spots. I think we would have to use more than a 3rd. Its really expensive to move up to the 5th slot.

I moved up 3 spots to the 6th.

I tried to move up to the 5th but the price was too steep.

SDogo

Reaction score
The Realist;3846093 said:
SDogo......

It would appear by the way the picks fell you didn't need to move up for Peterson. Titan's locked and loaded on a QB and Cincy goes AJ in 95% of the mocks I have seen. They could use a QB too if one slides with Carson's trade demands.

Seems like you could have done better than the DE from ASU in 4 too. I personally would prefer another OG there and go heavy on OL vs a 3-4 DL. If I had to go DE I would go Powe the 330 NT if we are seriously considering Rat to DE.

Other than that nice draft.

To be honest with you I was shocked Denver did not take him and made the trade with me.

It's kind of funny it worked out that way because I still feel Denver is the key to us getting Peterson. If they dont take him at #2 it's very likely he could fall to 5 and as I did, I fully believe Jerry Jones will begin to burn up the phones at that point.

I was not thrilled with the Guy pick but based on value of the board at that time and need, he was the best fit.

SDogo

Reaction score
UnoDallas;3845980 said:
hey Sdogo

do you know anything about

Jerrard Tarrant, FS Georgia Tech

I cant really offer you anything you cant get off the internet at this point. I simply have not spent much time with that position beyond a few guys I heard rumored the Cowboys are interested in.

Typically, this would be a question I would be much more prepared to answer mid to late March if your looking for my words and not a rinse and repeat from what I have read.:eek::

burmafrd

Reaction score
SDogo;3846153 said:
I moved up 3 spots to the 6th.

I tried to move up to the 5th but the price was too steep.

my mistake. on the value chart what is the differene between 9 and 6?

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
Trace1015;3845958 said:

Deunta Williams is the best safety in this draft, and it's not close.

I'm hoping we can get him, but I wouldn't mind adding a serviceable veteran at a low cost as well, especially because we need immediate production.

In my dream scenario we have Church and D. Williams lining up at Safety for us for the next 5-10 years.

SDogo

Reaction score
burmafrd;3846163 said:
my mistake. on the value chart what is the differene between 9 and 6?

250pts or roughly our 3rd round pick. The Broncos would be losing out on about 10pts which means we could throw in our 7th rounder and even it up.