1 week away, some final offseason thoughts

Cowboyny

Reaction score
From here on out it is lying season, don't trust anything you hear over this next week as teams will start to send out misinformation to hide their true interests. Like everyone else, I have draft fatigue and am ready to see our picks. I will be posting my final mock tomorrow, but here are some of thoughts about the offseason:

-The Cowboys did everything to keep the defense intact, from their DC, resigning every in house fa. However, they have made major changes on the other side of the football in letting four starters walk or released and changing their OC and OL coach. Reading the tea leaves, we should expect an offensive heavy draft.

-I am tending to believe that Solari is going to want our best 5 Offensive Lineman to start and definitely have Tyron in the starting lineup. How long can Tyron Smith hold up, what is the contingency plan when he goes down? I have heard they want to be better prepared when Martin starts to show his age. They do have some in house options to spot start if needed. I'm thinking more of a developmental prospect then a day 1 starter at least for this yr.

-With all the receivers and TE's linked to the Cowboys, it appears that it is an priority to add 1 more additional receiving weapon. I am expecting a high pick to address this area and could even be at 26.

-What is their plan at RB? This franchise has always valued this position with elite talent. We all shouldn't be surprised if they take one in any high rd this yr. Believe they want to add more of a power, bell cow type and keep Pollard more as a multi-facet weapon.

-Will they finally address the NT need with a high selection? I need to see it to believe it, especially after they were able to retain Hankins. When you look at the issues with their run defense, the outside stretch runs gave them more problems then up the middle, perhaps adding a 4i will have am impact. Lacy was in Dane's final mock in the 4th rd.

-CB/Edge/Safety are all 2024 priorities but it would be smart to start developing future starters. We have discussed all the fa's next offseason and it is downright scary as our defense could potentially look very different.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I have narrowed my choices for 26 to .........Robinson or Gibbs, Mayer, or the highest T/G on their board. Starting to believe Gibbs could be the player they are hiding.
I agree with you about those being the 3 most likely targeted positions - TE, OG, RB.

My own qualifier is that RB would be the pick if somehow Robinson falls to 26.

Otherwise I think their first preference would actually be a slight trade down and then addressing OG or TE.

cnuball21

Reaction score
From here on out it is lying season, don't trust anything you hear over this next week as teams will start to send out misinformation to hide their true interests. Like everyone else, I have draft fatigue and am ready to see our picks. I will be posting my final mock tomorrow, but here are some of thoughts about the offseason:

-The Cowboys did everything to keep the defense intact, from their DC, resigning every in house fa. However, they have made major changes on the other side of the football in letting four starters walk or released and changing their OC and OL coach. Reading the tea leaves, we should expect an offensive heavy draft.

-I am tending to believe that Solari is going to want our best 5 Offensive Lineman to start and definitely have Tyron in the starting lineup. How long can Tyron Smith hold up, what is the contingency plan when he goes down? I have heard they want to be better prepared when Martin starts to show his age. They do have some in house options to spot start if needed. I'm thinking more of a developmental prospect then a day 1 starter at least for this yr.

-With all the receivers and TE's linked to the Cowboys, it appears that it is an priority to add 1 more additional receiving weapon. I am expecting a high pick to address this area and could even be at 26.

-What is their plan at RB? This franchise has always valued this position with elite talent. We all shouldn't be surprised if they take one in any high rd this yr. Believe they want to add more of a power, bell cow type and keep Pollard more as a multi-facet weapon.

-Will they finally address the NT need with a high selection? I need to see it to believe it, especially after they were able to retain Hankins. When you look at the issues with their run defense, the outside stretch runs gave them more problems then up the middle, perhaps adding a 4i will have am impact. Lacy was in Dane's final mock in the 4th rd.

-CB/Edge/Safety are all 2024 priorities but it would be smart to start developing future starters. We have discussed all the fa's next offseason and it is downright scary as our defense could potentially look very different.
Agree with pretty much everything. If Mike is going to incorporate a little more of his GB O it means more 11 personnel with 3+ WR sets. WR early makes sense in that scenario plus I’m hoping we can get out of MGs contract ASAP.

Outside of that it looks like we’re looking at a bit of everything and ideally just take the best talent that falls. CB, OT, DE and WILL LBr all appear to be positions they’re going to be eyeing early in the draft and just taking the best player that falls.

Avila is the only top 30 visitor so I don’t see G early and also hope we don’t go that route at 26 as there isn’t a 1st round G.

Smith22

Reaction score

Agreed, I expect it to be more of an offense heavy draft with the Cowboys focusing on OG, RB, and TE.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score

In a scenario where we have (for arguments sake) only 18 1st Rd Grades, how do you see us prioritising the pick:

More than one 1st Rd Grade available
A) 1st Rd Grade (Positional need)
B) 1st Rd Grade (BPA)
C) 1st Rd Grade (Best player within next couple of years in position of need in 2024 eg CB).

Only one 1st Rd Grade
A) 1st Rd Grade (Regardless of position)
B) Consider a 2nd Rd Grade, if positional need.
C) Consider a 2nd Rd Grade, if there's a good chance of developmental improvement in a position of need in 2024

Only 2nd Rd Grade
A) Follow your stack
B) Take into account positional value/need (though I assume that's factored into the stacking position?)
C) Overlook BPA (where we have a number of fairly high grades at that position).

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I have narrowed my choices for 26 to .........Robinson or Gibbs, Mayer, or the highest T/G on their board. Starting to believe Gibbs could be the player they are hiding.
My list is: Forbes, McDonald, Kinciad/Mayer, assuming nothing unexpected occurs.

RS12

Reaction score
I agree with all this but CB or pass rush would not be a surprise at all. Someone like Forbes or McDonald. Quinn lead many pro day workouts.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Agree with pretty much everything. If Mike is going to incorporate a little more of his GB O it means more 11 personnel with 3+ WR sets. WR early makes sense in that scenario plus I’m hoping we can get out of MGs contract ASAP.

Outside of that it looks like we’re looking at a bit of everything and ideally just take the best talent that falls. CB, OT, DE and WILL LBr all appear to be positions they’re going to be eyeing early in the draft and just taking the best player that falls.

Avila is the only top 30 visitor so I don’t see G early and also hope we don’t go that route at 26 as there isn’t a 1st round G.
I wouldn't like either Avilia or Torrence outside of a wipeout scenario. Still believe they are going to start their best 5, all we need is a contingency plan for Tyron.

Agree, about multiple receiving sets, also think they may roster a FB.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
In a scenario where we have (for arguments sake) only 18 1st Rd Grades, how do you see us prioritising the pick:

More than one 1st Rd Grade available
A) 1st Rd Grade (Positional need)
B) 1st Rd Grade (BPA)
C) 1st Rd Grade (Best player within next couple of years in position of need in 2024 eg CB).

Only one 1st Rd Grade
A) 1st Rd Grade (Regardless of position)
B) Consider a 2nd Rd Grade, if positional need.
C) Consider a 2nd Rd Grade, if there's a good chance of developmental improvement in a position of need in 2024

Only 2nd Rd Grade
A) Follow your stack
B) Take into account positional value/need (though I assume that's factored into the stacking position?)
C) Overlook BPA (where we have a number of fairly high grades at that position).
My question to you is, which 1st rd graded player can realistically be there at 26? Will we be wiped out at the time of our selection? I am expecting at least 1TE to receive a 1st rd grade, will the likes of McDonald/Forbes also receive one? To answer your question, think they take the best player available on their board regardless of the position.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I agree with all this but CB or pass rush would not be a surprise at all. Someone like Forbes or McDonald. Quinn lead many pro day workouts.
Both Forbes/McDonald have been linked more than any other in the 1st rd.

Aven8

Reaction score
I think we might go D in the first if that’s the BPA. After that offensive heavy. I would be totally fine with Gibbs at 26. He’s going to be a major weapon for whomever selects him.

Lots of needs. RB, WR, Guard, DT, LB, Kicker.

baltcowboy

Reaction score

Good points as always. I think the Cowboys are all in to win the Super Bowl this season and this will be a MM draft. I have no clue what that means :huh::grin:. I just expect the first 4 picks to be integral to 2023 and the board won’t like it.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Good points as always. I think the Cowboys are all in to win the Super Bowl this season and this will be a MM draft. I have no clue what that means :huh::grin:. I just expect the first 4 picks to be integral to 2023 and the board won’t like it.
Not sure if they are so called go all in, but definitely could to see 3 offensive players within their top 4 picks.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Not sure if they are so called go all in, but definitely could to see 3 offensive players within their top 4 picks.
You don’t think this an all in season? If the Cowboys don’t reach the Super Bowl I think the Joneses will move on from MM. The Cowboys got rid of Kellen for him. That is like if the Cowboys got rid of Garrett for Phillips. In a way they can also have a semi rebuilding season in 2024 with all the free agents they will have. Dak is about to be 30 and big extensions are due for Parsons, Diggs and CeeDee. The NFC is wide open. The Cowboys are not scared of the Eagles and the 49ers are weak at quarterback. Less pressure from the national media as well. This is the year.