1 week away, some final offseason thoughts

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
You don’t think this an all in season? If the Cowboys don’t reach the Super Bowl I think the Joneses will move on from MM. The Cowboys got rid of Kellen for him. That is like if the Cowboys got rid of Garrett for Phillips. In a way they can also have a semi rebuilding season in 2024 with all the free agents they will have. Dak is about to be 30 and big extensions are due for Parsons, Diggs and CeeDee. The NFC is wide open. The Cowboys are not scared of the Eagles and the 49ers are weak at quarterback. Less pressure from the national media as well. This is the year.
We havent even had the draft and your already declaring the Cowboys have to win it all. LOL

Lets just imagine the Cowboys have the best roster in the NFL. Pretend. The ONE year they have that, we HAVE to win the SB? Thats ridiculous.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
We havent even had the draft and your already declaring the Cowboys have to win it all. LOL

Lets just imagine the Cowboys have the best roster in the NFL. Pretend. The ONE year they have that, we HAVE to win the SB? Thats ridiculous.
The team won 25 games the last two seasons. The Cowboys have one of the better rosters in the NFC. MM fired basically the whole offensive staff. I would think the Joneses would expect a Super Bowl or bust with Quinn waiting in the wings.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
1 miss block could knock out your QB and end your season.
Only in Dallas do people talk about RB's like this.

First of all, Pollard can pass block. Its a non issue.

If the RB cant run, hes going to get your QB killed with too many 3rd and longs.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
The team won 25 games the last two seasons. The Cowboys have one of the better rosters in the NFC. MM fired basically the whole offensive staff. I would think the Joneses would expect a Super Bowl or bust with Quinn waiting in the wings.
Maybe, maybe not. If we go 12 wins two year in a row and have another 12 to 13 win season, they would be dumb to fire MM. Thats the most success they have had in 25 years.

Cowboys were clearly not good enough last year or the year before. You dont fire everyone in the middle of a window.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Maybe, maybe not. If we go 12 wins two year in a row and have another 12 to 13 win season, they would be dumb to fire MM. Thats the most success they have had in 25 years.

Cowboys were clearly not good enough last year or the year before. You dont fire everyone in the middle of a window.
I hear you but with crazy Jerrah you never know.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
From here on out it is lying season, don't trust anything you hear over this next week as teams will start to send out misinformation to hide their true interests. Like everyone else, I have draft fatigue and am ready to see our picks. I will be posting my final mock tomorrow, but here are some of thoughts about the offseason:

-The Cowboys did everything to keep the defense intact, from their DC, resigning every in house fa. However, they have made major changes on the other side of the football in letting four starters walk or released and changing their OC and OL coach. Reading the tea leaves, we should expect an offensive heavy draft.

-I am tending to believe that Solari is going to want our best 5 Offensive Lineman to start and definitely have Tyron in the starting lineup. How long can Tyron Smith hold up, what is the contingency plan when he goes down? I have heard they want to be better prepared when Martin starts to show his age. They do have some in house options to spot start if needed. I'm thinking more of a developmental prospect then a day 1 starter at least for this yr.

-With all the receivers and TE's linked to the Cowboys, it appears that it is an priority to add 1 more additional receiving weapon. I am expecting a high pick to address this area and could even be at 26.

-What is their plan at RB? This franchise has always valued this position with elite talent. We all shouldn't be surprised if they take one in any high rd this yr. Believe they want to add more of a power, bell cow type and keep Pollard more as a multi-facet weapon.

-Will they finally address the NT need with a high selection? I need to see it to believe it, especially after they were able to retain Hankins. When you look at the issues with their run defense, the outside stretch runs gave them more problems then up the middle, perhaps adding a 4i will have am impact. Lacy was in Dane's final mock in the 4th rd.

-CB/Edge/Safety are all 2024 priorities but it would be smart to start developing future starters. We have discussed all the fa's next offseason and it is downright scary as our defense could potentially look very different.
Some thoughts from me.

- I think WR and CB is most likely, with McDonald a strong possibility. All three of those positions get thin very quickly and they are premium. I think they will go TE of the board is wiped. Skoronski is a real dark horse for me if he falls. I think he is an OG and would be strong value

- We probably will draft a HB, but keep the 2015 draft in the back of your mind. We were thin at HB, that was a strong class amd we showed alot of interest in players all throughout the draft. Ended up with none

-Roy is an interesting 1T option with Hankins here. He is more of a projection at 1T (needs a bit more weight), but for 2023 he would probably get a good snap count as a guy that can play both 1 and 3. I think he would be a strong pick at 90.

- Byron Young is name to watch at 4i. They interviewed him at the combine and fits like a glove. Where does he go. Ive seen some (not many, somewhat of an outlier) projections in the 2nd. Thats pretty rich for me. However he is a guy Id consder trading up in the 4th to get if he lands on day 3. Roy and Young would be very strong add for the interior, and both can contribute heavily in 2023

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
- I think WR and CB is most likely, with McDonald a strong possibility. All three of those positions get thin very quickly and they are premium. I think they will go TE of the board is wiped. Skoronski is a real dark horse for me if he falls. I think he is an OG and would be strong value
In the case of WR's, is it better to take one, for the sake of it, or take the best player. Just keep hearing how average the class is, especially once JSN goes. Is taking the WR a reach based on the position?

Then again I have no idea how a team grades players.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
In the case of WR's, is it better to take one, for the sake of it, or take the best player. Just keep hearing how average the class is, especially once JSN goes. Is taking the WR a reach based on the position?

Then again I have no idea how a team grades players.
Its not great, but there are still guys with strong #1 WR traits and production. Just some warts. Guys like Addison, Flowers and Johnson are guys that should go 20-30 in most drafts

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Its not great, but there are still guys with strong #1 WR traits and production. Just some warts. Guys like Addison, Flowers and Johnson are guys that should go 20-30 in most drafts
I just think some fans are over valuing this class and subjectively ignoring the concerns (of which there are some across the board) in favor of drafting the position. It appears that some of the fan base is trying to make an argument for a WR as one of the teams weakness was at WR..... so give Dak 'more weapons', but not even evaluating how that receiver would fit our scheme and/or complement Dak. For instance, the three you've mentioned arent even really comparable (especially Johnston)....so I dont think we'd grade them anywhere near each other.

Draft the individual PLAYER (even if its the WR you really want) in favor of positional considerations. We dont have any real holes and we could even sign a Risner kind of vet as a Guard as a free agent.

I wonder how many fans would be upset if we took a CB at 26, as he may not be a day 1 starter?

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I just think some fans are over valuing this class and subjectively ignoring the concerns (of which there are some across the board) in favor of drafting the position. It appears that some of the fan base is trying to make an argument for a WR as one of the teams weakness was at WR..... so give Dak 'more weapons', but not even evaluating how that receiver would fit our scheme and/or complement Dak. For instance, the three you've mentioned arent even really comparable (especially Johnston)....so I dont think we'd grade them anywhere near each other.

Draft the individual PLAYER (even if its the WR you really want) in favor of positional considerations. We dont have any real holes and we could even sign a Risner kind of vet as a Guard as a free agent.

I wonder how many fans would be upset if we took a CB at 26, as he may not be a day 1 starter?
For CB probably 50/50 upset. I think it would be a strong move however considering the available options (Banks or Forbes most likely) will be very strong and have #1 CB traits

cnuball21

Reaction score

We’ve covered our needs in FA for the most part.

Just take the best player at a money
position at 26. CB? Cool. WR? Cool. DE or OT? Cool.